Texas Hunting Forum

axis

Posted By: londontexas

axis - 10/19/18 09:00 PM

my neighbor in northern kimble county has tons of axis....I am half a mile away (up a large hill)...and can't get axis to come up...feed year round...have small pond. Have tried everything except signs (Axis Welcome...free buffet). tons of deer and hogs.. any ideas?
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: axis - 10/19/18 09:52 PM

feed protein?
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: axis - 10/19/18 09:55 PM

They seem to like being around running water like creeks and rivers.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: axis - 10/19/18 09:58 PM

To me, they've always seemed to prefer lower, rolling terrain. We had a rugged lease just north of Sisterdale for many years. Our place had deep canyons and high hills. We'd always see axis driving through the lower places on the way in, but never on ours. Sika liked it, but they are a bear to push out of deep canyon oak motts.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: axis - 10/22/18 01:48 PM

This is true. Our land in Real county has tons of them. They're ALWAYS seen down by the creek. Hardly ever see them up in the rough stuff. Aoudad prefer the really rugged parts.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: axis - 10/22/18 07:10 PM

Plant a few acres of alfalfa
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: axis - 10/22/18 07:20 PM

Our place in Edwards County has them all over. I'd try the alfalfa.
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: axis - 10/22/18 08:49 PM

i'm in kimble around Harper tx. we use alfalfa they love it axis will go too it before the corn .
Posted By: Woj

Re: axis - 10/22/18 10:03 PM

If he doesn't have Axis already on the place, how will alfalfa help? The alfalfa will help hold them in an area, but won't 'draw' them in.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: axis - 10/22/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Woj
If he doesn't have Axis already on the place, how will alfalfa help? The alfalfa will help hold them in an area, but won't 'draw' them in.

If he's in Kimble County, he has axis.
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: axis - 10/23/18 11:32 AM

x2
Posted By: Woj

Re: axis - 10/23/18 12:36 PM

I'm on the Menard / Kimble county line, and DON'T have axis. 900 acres, 8 cameras running year round, for two years, and not a single pic of an Axis.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum