Texas Hunting Forum

Question about using doe estrus?

Posted By: spoon33

Question about using doe estrus? - 10/05/18 01:22 AM

I know this might be hard to verify for sure, but I was wondering how far do you think you could or have pulled a buck in using doe estrus? I hunt 160 acres with my limited woods on the east and west edges. During the rut I’m curious if I hung some estrous on my trees near the fence line would the scent cross the dirt road, especially on a windy day and get the attention of a chasing buck say .5 mile away? Should I then put another marker near my stand as I hunt prob 400 yards away from the road?

I know the best thing is having a hot doe on your land, but was just curios of how successful everyone has been using estrus or how far u think a buck can smell and will travel.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 01:25 AM

I think with hot does in the are, it can definitely work especially if combined with some rattling and grunting.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 01:26 AM

Area
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 01:11 PM

Yes. It works.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 01:12 PM

I use my neighbors abundant high fence deer to pull bucks to my area. They come running. Also use 'Tinks 69' with success.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 05:01 PM

The best way to use it is to put it all over your clothing & splash it on like you would aftershave / cologne.

That way you'll leave a scent trail as you walk to your blind and have no need for a 'cover scent' product.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
The best way to use it is to put it all over your clothing & splash it on like you would aftershave / cologne.

That way you'll leave a scent trail as you walk to your blind and have no need for a 'cover scent' product.

The only problem with that is getting mounted on the way to the stand. Always happens before legal shooting light.
Posted By: don k

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

The only problem with that is getting mounted on the way to the stand. Always happens before legal shooting light.
Very true. That is where the grunting come in.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 11:37 PM

My experience tells me that using in in a dripper etc keeps bucks passing through coming back to see what's up.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/05/18 11:44 PM

Yep, that’s why I won’t leave for the stand till 9am, if they come running in, I’m getting them first! stir
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/06/18 06:01 PM

You speak from experience bolt
Posted By: GLC

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/06/18 08:44 PM

I like to put some on the ground, walk in it, and then walk to to the stand. Works pretty good, one time almost too good.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Question about using doe estrous? - 10/07/18 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings

You speak from experience bolt

It's those big mature bucks that you have a hard time fighting off. The spikes and four pointers are persistent, but usually give up easily.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum