Texas Hunting Forum

Slim pickings this year

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 03:55 PM

We had about 3/4 of our north property line high-fenced this year and I am pretty sure they sucked in most of our 'good' bucks. I can't find the one I have watched for two years anywhere. As silly as I make it seem, our +/-1,100 acres feels small now as we are it is sandwiched between a county road on the south and high fence on the north. I know the county road is just a psychological barrier and deer will freely cross the road, but it is a barrier nonetheless.

About a mile west of us a +/-2,000 acre high fence abuts the newly high fenced 4,000 acres. So now it feels like the eastern half is the only chance we have of unknown bucks coming in and maybe a few will come up from the south, but that feels like the least likely direction of travel.

Back to the world of hunting sub-120" 8s:

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 04:14 PM

With that much land 1100 acres I don't think you have too much to worry about. Yes it may cut off some deer, but it can benefit you as well.
Some of my best hunts were next to high fence ranches as the deer are forced to change their travel routes.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 05:56 PM

^^^This^^^. When our neighbors high fenced I thought things were going to be really bad. I wasn't wrong, UNTIL I noticed the deer trails along our side of the fence. Put up a new stand along the fence and am still amazed at the number of bucks I see now. It went from seeing 3 or 4 bucks a season to seeing multitudes. Not to mention being able to watch the neighbors gargantuan deer. I am much more excited about hunting our place these days.
Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 05:59 PM

Looks like those will be 3 awesome bucks in another couple of years. I'd say you got a good crop going and it will just get better as long as you manage well.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 08:41 PM

It is only the beginning, the genetics were there before so you should still have them.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/27/18 09:14 PM

I bet that green grass has a lot more to do with not seeing the better bucks now than the fence.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/28/18 03:47 AM

We had 1/2 mile high fenced by our LO inlaws 5 years ago. Honestly have no deer by it now so we stopped hunting there. Plus we drive 1/4 of it to get to camp. Our best hunting is a mile away luckily. Most of it was part of our lease at one time.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/28/18 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
It is only the beginning, the genetics were there before so you should still have them.

Yup, give it time.
Those HF fences aren't hurting you.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/28/18 11:45 AM

Adapt to the change, the deer will.
Posted By: don k

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/28/18 12:16 PM

They are probably still around. Bucks are changing now. They are not the big buddies they were earlier.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/28/18 01:17 PM

wouldn't worry too much about it....and besides...I guarantee you there will be "escapees" from the high fence pastures.
Posted By: major_74

Re: Slim pickings this year - 09/30/18 09:43 PM

More than likely they didn’t get them all
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum