Texas Hunting Forum

Acorns

Posted By: MoTex

Acorns - 09/17/18 04:00 PM

Live Oak acorns are falling in DFW, what about Hamilton and surrounding counties? It's about time with archery season approaching!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 04:09 PM

Indeed they are; paying neighborhood kids to pickup acorns; $5.00 for a 5-gallon bucket and I don't have to sweep them up. Win win!!
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 04:33 PM

At our place in south Texas, we don't have any type of oak trees, just mesquite and typical south Texas brush. I've collected acorns from live oaks in my yard in the Valley, and taken to our ranch, but the deer don't ever seem interested in them.
Posted By: spro

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 04:34 PM

Thats a great deal! Take me a lot of work to fill a 5 gallon
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 04:44 PM

They are falling like crazy in SW Concho County.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jadkins

We are between Eden and Paint Rock. No oak trees for several miles around our place, but if I bring acorns and throw them around the feeders, they don’t last long
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 08:26 PM

They're all coming down in Eastland county on my place
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Acorns - 09/17/18 09:39 PM

Mine started hitting the ground in the last few days, but they are still green and splitting open after all the rain the past week.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Acorns - 09/18/18 12:40 AM

The were clanking of the shed starting 3 weeks ago in Menard County
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Acorns - 09/18/18 10:47 AM

Falling in Llano and Burnet counties but there's not a big crop of them.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Acorns - 09/18/18 11:36 AM

Last year,here in Palo Pinto county there were more acorns than I have ever seen. This year, is the complete opposite, what few acorns there are, are tiny. We was so dry May, through July, they didn't grow at all.
Posted By: Western

Re: Acorns - 09/18/18 12:46 PM

Didn't think we had any this year with the drought, but after last weeks storms, seeing small one on the ground,
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Acorns - 09/18/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 270Sendero
Originally Posted By: jadkins

We are between Eden and Paint Rock. No oak trees for several miles around our place, but if I bring acorns and throw them around the feeders, they don’t last long

Yep...the oaks don't show up in that area until you're a few miles south of HWY 87.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Acorns - 09/20/18 01:13 AM

Lease member went down to lease and they are really falling. Probably 50% have dropped on the Live Oaks.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Acorns - 09/20/18 03:57 PM

Rain is going to help get rid of a lot of the acorns but there will be plenty of other growth that the deer won't have to move far to find food.
Those feeders are going to start to sprout corn under them unless the hogs make a nice wallow under them.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Acorns - 09/24/18 05:18 AM

They are everywhere on the ground around lake whitney.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Acorns - 09/26/18 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Indeed they are; paying neighborhood kids to pickup acorns; $5.00 for a 5-gallon bucket and I don't have to sweep them up. Win win!!

That's awesome
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum