Texas Hunting Forum

Let's hear your feeder times.

Posted By: jadkins

Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:19 PM

5 minutes before sunrise, 2 hours after sunrise, and 1 hour before sunset.

What about y'all?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:21 PM

One at sunrise and 1 hour before sunset.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:22 PM

Currently: AM 7:15-4 seconds, 9:30-2 seconds, PM 5:00-4 seconds
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:23 PM

15 minutes before sunrise (15 minutes after first legal shooting). 4:15pm. 4 second spin.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:25 PM

10 minutes after daylight and 1 hour before sunset now. But that will change when the days shorten and it gets cooler to 15 minutes after daylight, 45 minutes after daylight and then 45 minutes before sunset starting around the last week of October. Spin time varies by time of the year and how dry it is. Right now 3 seconds am and pm. Last year 5-7 seconds on the 3 times per day at 3 feeders. I use a road feeder every time I hunt so those set times really do not mean much. I hunt almost everyday. I put out enough corn so that they eat what they want then walk off when it is time in the mornings. In the afternoons I put out enough to draw deer out before dark and what I think I might see for numbers.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:31 PM

Currently 7:00am 10 seconds and 6:30pm 5 seconds
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:36 PM

7:15 am and 4:30 pm. 6 secs each (12V units)
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 02:38 PM

If sunrise is 7am, 6:40 for 8 seconds, 7:45 for 2 seconds, If sunset is 5:30, 4pm for 4 seconds, 4:45 for 2 seconds. I'm just ringing the dinner bell one more time with both of my second feedings.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 03:23 PM

Right now, 6:50 am and 5:45 pm
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 03:29 PM

Right now, 7:30AM, 5:30 PM. 7 seconds for each. When we fall back, they'll be prefect.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 03:40 PM

7am noon 4:30pm
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 03:51 PM

Most of y'all seem to prefer 1 1/2 hour before sunset vs. 1 hour.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jadkins

Thoughts?

It's only because I'm in the stand 1 1/2 hours before sunset.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 05:50 PM

It will constantly be changed from now till the beginning of rifle season. On opening morning, I will have it throwing when its just beginning to barely get light (once in the morning) and then about 1 hour before the sun goes down over the horizon (only once in the evening.)
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 06:23 PM

If you set your morning time for well before sunrise on opening day, by the end of the season, the feeder will go off in darkness and bucks will come, check out the ladies, grab a snack, and leave before you can see your hand in front of your face. All depends on what part of the season you hunt the most.

On one lease I was on, one guy was always roaring out to his feeder on his four-wheeler and changing the times. He couldn't believe how many bucks I was seeing at my set up. The less disturbance, the better in my opinion.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 06:30 PM

My second AM feed is in case hogs have cleaned it up soon after it hits the ground. My feed time in the PM is about two hours of daylight before sundown during November.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 10:41 PM

When the november season starts, feeder throws at 6:35 am and in the evening 5 pm. Feeder throw times depend on deer activity for that year, I do not let corn pile up. The evening feed throw time will also vary depending on if it the corn gets ate up in the evening. No night time buffet at my feeder. For me i will adjust my morning feed time 10 minutes up every couple of weeks to compensate for the shortening day light.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 11:03 PM

During deer season, beginning, 6:15 and 4:30. As time passes and the sunlight comes later will change the morning feeding to 6:30
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/10/18 11:49 PM

We use this app:
Sunrise / Sunset times app

Using the map, you can select your location to see current and future times, including first light, sunrise, sunset and last light. For bow season, we'll start setting those times this weekend for what will be first light @ mid-late October and readjust as the days shorten closer to gun opener. I like to spin within 20 minutes of first light and @ 90-120 minutes before last light as a general rule.

On our place, it will be first light at 7:02am on bow opener but 7:27am on gun opener.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 01:23 AM

15 minutes after sunrise
1 hour before sunset.
I reset every couple weeks to the nearest 15 minutes. It only takes a few seconds to do, as I check the feeder anyways.
This weekend I will set it for the opening of bow season.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 02:17 AM

Yeah, morning feed moves to 6:30, 6:45 as season progresses.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 02:18 AM

I do notice most of ya'll feed later in the PM than I do.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 02:30 AM

Fyi, Google, you can just type your nearest town, words 'sunrise sunset' and date and it gives it.

Ex. nocona sunrise sunset 11/12/18

Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 02:52 AM

30 min before sunrise and 2 hour before sunset
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 03:04 AM

I’ve done 7am and 4pm for as long as I can remember.

I also never remember seeing a truly big deer at a feeder in the daylight.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 03:29 AM

Right at first light and 1.5 hours before last light
Posted By: TTU.Hunter

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 04:05 AM

7am, 3:30pm, 5pm. I will have deer waiting on it to go off each time. Usually in my stand by 2:30-3pm, and hand corn the road to keep them around.
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 11:17 AM

4.45 am & 4.30 pm
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 11:40 AM

6:45AM and 5:15PM, like it early in the morning so they have a bit of light cover and a little later on the afternoon throw.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 11:54 AM

texas 7am, 1pm, and 4:15. Been that way for years. For me the 1pm is the best as I get a good turnout for the rut. peep
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 08:55 PM

I look at the sunup and sundown time on opening morning via a sunup/sundown link on my computer.
Set the feeder now so it feeds 10-15 minutes after sunup and 1 hour before sundown on OPENING morning at least a month before opening morning so they get used to THAT time - some feeders wander +/- 3 to 4 minutes a month.
Then, hopefully I only have to add corn since I'm running battery/solar charger.
I also try to make sure the feeder is full the weekend before opening morning so it will at least run thru the following weekend without being disturbed.

Worked for me for years - YMMV!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/11/18 11:07 PM

Some guys are waaay overthinking this.
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 12:18 AM

7 and 4

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Bear Charge
7 and 4

Yep and never change them. Started 4:15 at a few in case I am running late from nap or good game.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 02:56 AM

7:00 A.M. 1 second, 5;30 P.M. 1 second. (Del Rio) Adjusted during season for daylight in the morning and 1 hour before sunset in the evening. Same feeder run times.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bear Charge
7 and 4

Same here during deer season. Right now I'm at 7 and 6, most of the summer I was at 7 and 7.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 02:01 PM

Where are you hunting and what time is the sun setting for the guys throwing at 4:00 pm current time?

I can currently still see my feeders at 8:00 pm confused2

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Where are you hunting and what time is the sun setting for the guys throwing at 4:00 pm current time?

I can currently still see my feeders at 8:00 pm confused2

Mine are already changed for time change already so it says 4:15 which is really 5:15 current time. Sunset just NW of Dallas where I hunt is 7:41 pm today.

Conroe TX sunset is 7:31 pm today. Where would 8 pm work unless you are by El Paso!

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 05:43 PM

I'm on the Val Verde and Terrell County line and could clearly see my feeders during my August 24th fill trip

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 06:21 PM

I'm on the Val Verde and Terrell County line and could clearly see my feeders during my August 24th fill trip

Sun has already set 25 minutes earlier out there at 7:55. By Oct 1st it will be 7:30. You will be throwing in the dark. I always throw 1 to 2 hours before sunset.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 07:28 PM

Mine are set to throw an hour before sunrise and an hour and a half before sunset, according to Mason Time at the time.

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Sun has already set 25 minutes earlier out there at 7:55. By Oct 1st it will be 7:30. You will be throwing in the dark. I always throw 1 to 2 hours before sunset.

As stated earlier my feeder chunks corn at 6:30 pm (roughly 1 hour before the sunset October 1st 2018) The 3 pounds of corn I throw in the evening hunt only lasts between 11-16 minutes. That'll leave me plenty of time to load my animal and head back to camp. Might even have time for a beer or two up

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/12/18 10:30 PM

Got it. Thought it was set for 8. up
Posted By: budward

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/13/18 06:45 PM

Approximately fifteen minutes before first light for when the moon is in the waxing gibbous phase and one hour before last light. When the moon is in the Waning crescent I always add two seconds to feed time and lapse each timer fifteen minutes to get the deer used to eating nutrients at specific times when the gestating and hormone process is starting. Then when the moon is Waxing crescent I go back to noontime feedings with sparse throwing times mixed throughout the day as the deer are more active and hungry during the day during this moon phase. Following that moon phase I do a waxing gibbous phase where I feed them small handfuls of treats throughout the morning and set timers to specific times when I believe the deer are hanging out. I also like feeding them lil smokies at times I think it gets the bucks more active
Posted By: mikei

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/13/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: jadkins

Thoughts?

I like to have as much daylight as possible to track, if necessary, and to field dress with as much ambient light as possible. I don't really like field dressing 'em in the dark or with a head light that never points to where I need to cut!
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/14/18 10:09 PM

I run my corn feeders year round. I follow the 30 minutes before sunrise and noon. Change the times once a month outside of hunting season and twice a month during. Noon? Because I'm an all-day hunter and it has been effective at minimizing coon and hog activity at night. Deer have everything cleaned up by dark and I would rather not have them see my exit from the hunt area.

Got a little card for my place that I give to my guest hunts and use myself...

Posted By: DH3

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/18/18 09:49 PM

In my experience, deer come out to feed at dusk, so setting feeder to go off 1-1/2 hours before sunset gives you an opportunity to see very little activity for an hour or so.
As darkness approaches the activity will start to pick up.
That's why it is important to have a scope with excellent light gathering ability
Posted By: Stub

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/18/18 10:04 PM

I am constantly changing my feeder times to coincide with the rise and setting of the sun and temperature.
Morning setting is constant all year long, I have it going off at first light or 30 minutes before sunrise.
Afternoon fluctuates year round and is mainly temperature driven. During the heat of summer I have it going off about 1 hour before complete darkness, as the days get cooler and shorter I start setting it to throw earlier, by November 1st it is set to go off about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before last legal shooting light.
I also start increasing the volume of corn thrown as more deer start appearing up
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Let's hear your feeder times. - 09/18/18 10:12 PM

I'm gonna steal that Ranch Dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum