Texas Hunting Forum

Horses vs deer

Posted By: chrswr

Horses vs deer - 09/10/18 01:35 PM

I picked a new spot that looks promising to me to bow hunt from. Ive got an elevated spot in some bush next to a water trough about 30 yards away in the open on a fenceline. Fenceline is not a problem, owner owns both sides. I put a camera up a week ago, and I know its only been a week, but all I have picts of is horses. There are only 2 horses that have access to this area, but it this spot going to be worthless with the 2 horses visiting this trough daily?
((i'm also keeping an open mind that there has been a lot of rain this week, so the deer do not need the water trough as much as they would have a couple weeks back when i picked the spot)

Thanks guys & gals
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/10/18 01:40 PM

Might just not be that great a spot.

My experience is deer would rather drink from a more natural source if they can. When its dry they venture into our cattle pens and drink from the tough but when other water is available they quit coming to it.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/10/18 02:10 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. If there has been a lot of rain then demand for the water trough is not going to be great. Demand vs Supply there is a high supply of water so the resource you are offering is not in high demand. Similar to bumper crops of acorns throwing off visitors to feeders. Random story: Last year I had a pretty good buck step out onto the edge of a wheat field I was hunting that just so happened to also have 2 horses on it. I had that buck in my scope for at least 5 min waiting for him to take a step past the tree that was covering his vitals. Well it would be my luck that about this time one of the horses starts climbing a slight incline, slips and falls, making a crashing sound that sent that buck running into the next county. Would've been kinda funny except for the fact that I never had another big buck in the scope the rest of the season. FYI horse was fine.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/10/18 02:15 PM

The rain can effect it. How close is the next water trough or stock pond from this water trough? I know that deer will change water sources (if there is one close) if enough livestock are around it. If they have no choice but to water with livestock they will, but given a choice they will move to a less active (livestock) water source. I have watch mule deer in West Texas mill around in the brush away from a trough waiting on cattle leave. Then they will come in for a drink.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/11/18 01:35 PM

It's got to be dry of puddles or creeks in order to be used by the deer.

When the conditions are right patience is key. Most often livestock will leave once they get water.

I have seen many times cattle dominated water troughs turn into wildlife after the cattle leave.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/12/18 03:03 AM

Horses are bad news on feeders. You have been warned! violin
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Horses vs deer - 09/12/18 10:29 AM

The horses shouldn't bother the deer. However, agree with DH3 about horses wrecking feeder mechanisms.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum