Texas Hunting Forum

New To Texas Hunting Forum

Posted By: Marc421

New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 05:22 PM

Hi guys,
I'm a brand new member of the forum and at this point need all the help I can get. I moved to Texas about a year and a half ago from Australia, where I lived for 8 years and worked as a fishing guide (born in the Netherlands). I'm very happily married to a Dallas lass and I've been meaning to get into hunting the moment I moved to the US. I recently got my hunters education, license and bought a rifle (Tikka T3 forest 30-06). I've got everything ready to go for upcoming deer season. All I need to know is; where to go from here? I've heard very little about decent public hunting land that allows rifles. Also; I don't have $3k to throw around on a lease or a trophy buck on a ranch. I'd be more than happy to spend $1k on a decent lease deal though. Whitetail deer is definitely number one on my list but I would never pass up an opportunity to harvest a hog or two either. Any information is welcome!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 05:36 PM

Welcome! And congrats on finding a Texas woman. By now you realize, they are the best the Creator ever made.

Network (although I hate the term) as much as you can, work, church, social gatherings, etc. And look at the Texas Parks and Wildlife public hunting system and put in for as many draw hunts as you can. Don't bother with "find a lease" websites, as they are usually rip-offs.

There will be a learning curve, of course, but don't get discouraged. Take everything you read on here with a grain of salt.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 05:39 PM

welcome to the forum
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 06:16 PM

Great to have you hear in our little state. I wish you were closer to the RGV because I know of a couple of lease openings in South Texas that are under $1k, and they are good ranches. And because you're from abroad, I would actually give you the info. I know how hard it is to get into a good lease without connections.
Posted By: PMK

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 06:21 PM

Welcome to Texas welcome texas ... as Creekrunner stated, look/listen/ask everywhere you might frequent, work, play, church, etc. and hopefully someone might have an opening. $1k leases are hard to come by, east Texas lumber land maybe? Might also can find a meat, cull or doe weekend hunt or a few.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 06:25 PM

Welcome and good hunting.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 06:28 PM

welcome to the best state texas in the country
Posted By: fouzman

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 06:36 PM

Welcome to the THF and Texas, Sebas
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 07:00 PM

Welcome!! If you are unable to find a lease, my best advice would be to get a bow. I've had decent luck on public lands with bow.

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/06/18 11:58 PM

Thanks everyone! Plenty of good advice in here. I'll keep my eyes and ears open! I appreciate all the kind words!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/07/18 01:30 PM

welcome
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/07/18 04:51 PM

welcome
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/07/18 05:00 PM

East Texas will have more opportunities in this price range. Its not easy but they are out there.
Posted By: Western

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/07/18 11:51 PM

welcome

Start networking as mentioned and posting on THF, also look in the outfitter/guides section, you may be able to get a hunt or 4 with 1k for culls, but likely doe hunts. May also be some MLD program fellas having trouble meeting harvest quotas that may work a deal, never know.

And..being from Australia mate, which one do you play, the didjeridu, the bullroarer, or the gum-leaf? grin
Posted By: JCB

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/08/18 12:00 AM

For $1k your best bet will by some of the east Texas hunt clubs. They usually have way to many members on the lease to get the price down but in a lot of cases the hunters only come one or twice a year and sometimes never. Its more of a weekend getaway for a lot of those guys and few serious hunters join them and see the real potential of the land they lease. I have been tempted to join one just for some hog hunting closer to home. I have seen a few of these pop up on THF over the years in the $500-$600 range. You can get that much use out of the place without ever killing a single thing in my opinion.
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/08/18 12:50 AM

welcome texas
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/08/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
welcome
Posted By: Stub

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/08/18 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young

He meant the greatest patch of dirt on all of Gods green earth texas welcome
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/08/18 01:53 PM

welcome
Posted By: 2Gemsranch

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/09/18 12:34 AM

Couple openings on good south Texas ranches. Under 1000$. Never heard of such
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/09/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young

He meant the greatest patch of dirt on all of Gods green earth texas welcome

You got that right Stub cheers

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/09/18 05:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up! That's very helpful!

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/09/18 05:49 AM

haha, neither! Didgeridoo makes me sweat like a gypsy with a mortgage!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/09/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
welcome to the forum
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/10/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Lazyman
welcome texas
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: New To Texas Hunting Forum - 09/10/18 09:31 PM

Check out the TPWD drawn hunts for public lands. Many of the deadlines are Sept. 15. Just apply for all of them at $3 each and worry about where/when they are if you get drawn.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum