Texas Hunting Forum

First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX

Posted By: slippinaround

First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX - 08/30/18 12:59 AM

Went to my Ranch yesterday to do some mowing around my stands for hunting season. I saw a couple of fresh rubs on saplings, and cameras revealed bucks are coming out of velvet. Saw 1 little scrape that was made. Located in East Texas—Hardin County. Im getting pumped—-4-1/2 weeks to go!!!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX - 08/30/18 01:07 AM

Saw my first buck in hard antlers in a trail cam pic on Aug. 19th and I am south of you. Not unusual to get a couple early every year if you are using TC to see the deer. Scrapes are not only active in the hunting season or rut...I have seen handful of scrapes over the years that stay active year round. Still looking for my first rub but I have not been getting out as much lately as I would like. Nice to find it though cause it sure does make you anxious for the season to start.
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX - 08/30/18 01:18 AM

I have heard of scrapes staying active all year around but have never seen it myself—-by April
they are unattended until around the end of August.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX - 08/30/18 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: slippinaround
I have heard of scrapes staying active all year around but have never seen it myself—-by April
they are unattended until around the end of August.

I have seen them in La Salle county after a rain in June become active on an opening at or a sendero leading to a protein feeder. Rare but still have seen them on other locations also. It is just a form of deer communication.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: First scrape, rubs and out of velvet East TX - 09/04/18 01:42 PM

Getting close
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum