Texas Hunting Forum

Need Feeder Insight

Posted By: 82Ag

Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 02:33 PM

Purchased the ASF Stand n Fill knock off from Bucee's (made by ASF but called EZ Feeder) for $399. Not quite as substantial as the ASF Stand n Fill I purchased four years ago and have never had a single problem with, but seemed well worth the $399. Haul it 300 miles to lease in west Texas, fill with corn, plug in timer and battery, program timer, hit test, counts down from 8 to 1, and goes click. That's it.....just click. Battery was off shelf at Bucee's and I failed to charge before installing. When I took it back to camp and put it on trickle charger it was showing low (i.e. not fully charged), but my son's tester was showing it had around 10 v charge. Brought battery home (due to scheduling conflicts couldn't stay out there until battery charged) to charge (it is now on green). Going back Saturday, but I'm concerned it could be timer (even though everything appeared to be reading out just fine on it) or motor instead of battery.

Anybody have similar experience? If it's motor I'm not sure how I proceed. The prospect of emptying that feeder and hauling it back 300 miles for a bad motor is not what I'm praying for.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 02:42 PM

Good luck. Sounds like motor but put check to see if your time also has a battery in it.
FYI, I learned long ago to have a back up battery and I always test my battery/timer/thrower before I fill em up 1000# and 1700#.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 02:47 PM

Not totally familiar with your feeder but if you have to remove motor/timer just stuff a rag in the hole at bottom. That should keep all corn inside.

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 03:12 PM

Yup, I got complacent. Have never had a new unit fail, so didn't do any back-up. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have fired it up in Bucee's before I loaded it.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 03:33 PM

If it is a 12V unit and that battery was only showing 10V that is your problem. A "click" is normally a low or bad battery that doesn't have enough power to spin the motor.

Now, if that is a 6V motor than it's something else.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 03:38 PM

If you can I’d put a solar panel on it. I’ve learned the hard way that if you don’t have a solar panel on those 6v or 12v brick type batteries they won’t last long. I’d try to cover the exposed wires going to the motor too. The coons would pull that loose in no time on my place.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 03:42 PM

I've had that issue with other feeders and occasionally the "easy" fix can be just checking all your wiring connections. If not a new motor might be needed

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 04:50 PM

I'm thinking it is the battery. Sounded like it wanted to take off but couldn't get over the hump (rather than some motors that will start with low voltage but run real slow). TxAg, it is a 12v motor so fingers are crossed that this hot battery will kick it off Saturday, and it came equipped with solar panel, so hopefully will hold charge. It's a heck of a bargain if I can get it going. $200 cheaper than similar equipment. Screwed a $1.47 plastic flower pot over the motor and wiring harness that hangs below the varmint plate. That was the only real issue I saw with the feeder. Raccoon was going to jerk that harness first chance he got.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 82Ag
Anybody have similar experience? If it's motor I'm not sure how I proceed. The prospect of emptying that feeder and hauling it back 300 miles for a bad motor is not what I'm praying for.

I looked at one Saturday at Bucee's. Considering what I paid for my 600lb All Seasons S&F, it looks to be a smokin' deal as the real cost is in the unit itself. I saw it had a "The Timer" timer and those tend to be pretty solid, so you're really down to the motor and battery.

Battery is an easy swap, I too picked up a dead battery from Bucees one time.

While I didn't open the door to look at the motor access, I would assume it's similar to the setup on my Lamco Timed Protein feeder where I can see the hopper opening and the spinner under the hopper via the access door. Can you stuff a rag the hopper opening from the access door and secure with some Gorilla tape, enough to change the motor if had to?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 05:00 PM

I have used a plastic storage tote to empty the corn into if tape or rag not feasible. Then just shuttle it back in when done.

I will make sure I test the batteries I pick up from Buccees from now on. I keep a tester in the truck at all times.
Posted By: fishhound

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 05:27 PM

Sounds like the battery. Considering drive time and all other factors I’d take a spare motor just in case though. You could always return the motor if you don’t need it.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 05:28 PM

10 volts might as well be 0. 13.5 is about where it should be.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 06:31 PM

I didn’t realize they came with a solar panel and “The Timer”. That is a good deal! It could be the battery in the timer itself. I’ve had those go low and make that clicking noise. I think it’s 1 AA battery.

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 06:39 PM

CharlieCTx, your description is accurate. Shouldn't be an issue to stop it up if need be. Battery went from 10 to over 13 with a day of charging, so I'm hoping I'll be good to go. It did not come with "The Timer". Comes with ASF Digital Timer. Very similar and super easy to program. Of course, no way it will be as reliable at "The Timer". Those things are great!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 09:03 PM

Been looking for a couple EZ Feeders, but they're tough to find

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/27/18 09:06 PM

Yes, at that price, they don't hang around long.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 11:55 AM

Could someone post a pic of the All Season Feeder that Bucee's sells? Can't find anything on the web about these. Sound like a decent deal.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 12:06 PM

100% battery issue. Those 12 volt motors rarely go bad. I've seen the problem enough times.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 12:13 PM

Is this the feeder you're talking about?

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Is this the feeder you're talking about?

Is this the ASF, sold at Bucee's?

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 03:31 PM

Don't have a picture of mine, but here is a link to a discussion with pics.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699201&highlight=bucees%27
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 82Ag
Don't have a picture of mine, but here is a link to a discussion with pics.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699201&highlight=bucees%27

Sweet up
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 04:19 PM

I saw those at Buccees here in temple last week. I took a quick glance at one and looked very similar to the original ASF stand and fill but with sheetmetal legs vs the welded angle. For their price point, they look like a good deal. I don't know anything about their timers though.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/28/18 06:37 PM

I am betting the battery also. I can't believe it would be the motor on a brand new unit.

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/30/18 02:51 PM

Keep us posted, interested in quality of this product.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/31/18 01:10 PM

For a few dollars more you can get one from Ramball36 on here and his are stout.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/31/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
For a few dollars more you can get one from Ramball36 on here and his are stout.

How much more? Looking for a 4th feeder
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 08/31/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

How much more? Looking for a 4th feeder

Believe I paid $450 for a 450 pound stand and fill.

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 09/05/18 10:38 AM

Did you get it fixed?

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 09/05/18 12:34 PM

No, apparently it's the motor. ASF Customer Service is sending me new motor and instructions how to replace. Not as good as a new one dropping out of the sky in the middle of my lease, but beats the heck out of dumping corn and hauling it 300 miles to be replaced. Did get a nice feeder pen up around the feeder that won't feed. Will update in a couple of weeks when I head back out to do my "in field" repairs. I'm not the most mechanical guy on the forum, so could get interesting.
Posted By: xwig16

Re: Need Feeder Insight - 09/06/18 09:11 AM

you can duct tape the hole where the corn comes out. that will hold it while you remove the motor to investigate
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum