Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone hunt in Navarro county?

Posted By: AceEightEight

Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/22/18 12:50 AM

Just wondering about experiences on private or public land. I shot an 8 point last year, near Dawson. Seen any good bucks this year?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/22/18 03:42 PM

A friend of mine has 500 acres near Dawson. He shoots a good buck every year. He's on Red oak creek. Not a lot of deer but some big corn fed bruisers.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/22/18 05:49 PM

It’s very place-specific here. A place with good cover and water can have adequate deer numbers with good bucks while a place a mile away without good habitat may not produce a sighting. Although numbers are increasing and consequently more hunting is going on, there are also many areas with little to no hunting pressure. Some nice old deer are taken every year.

Good luck!
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/22/18 10:57 PM

In general, it’s okay but nothing special IMO.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 12:53 AM

Just depends on what part of the county you are in. Where we are you wouldn't believe the deer that are an hour South of Dallas. To the ones that say it is nothing special, they don't know or they know too well.....

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It’s very place-specific here. A place with good cover and water can have adequate deer numbers with good bucks while a place a mile away without good habitat may not produce a sighting. Although numbers are increasing and consequently more hunting is going on, there are also many areas with little to no hunting pressure. Some nice old deer are taken every year.

Good luck!

That sounds like this place. Its about 40 acres with excellent habitat, and surrounded by similar land. I don't think there is much hunting pressure. Land owners never hunted it until last year. After they shot 4 does, meat for the family, they said I could come out and hunt. I shot an 8 point buck in 30-45 minutes of walking the property.

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
Just depends on what part of the county you are in. Where we are you wouldn't believe the deer that are an hour South of Dallas. To the ones that say it is nothing special, they don't know or they know too well.....

Yeah and sometimes when people say it ain't that good, it's from people spending a lot of money and time for deer hunting, don't get me wrong they probably get some big bucks. I spent less than $10 for this buck.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: AceEightEight
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Good luck!

That sounds like this place. Its about 40 acres with excellent habitat, and surrounded by similar land. I don't think there is much hunting pressure. Land owners never hunted it until last year. After they shot 4 does, meat for the family, they said I could come out and hunt. I shot an 8 point buck in 30-45 minutes of walking the property.

Yessir, that can still happen In Navarro county - and does a lot. It’s gotten better and better over the years but still not a place that comes to mind for most folks. So still not a lot of pressure.
Posted By: Murphoutdoors28

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 08:53 PM

We haven't had any luck, and rarely any sightings. We've had a feeder up for over 3 months now, and nothing but dove, turkey and hogs. Dove have been chowing down. We are near Emmett, on the north side of the lake, so maybe that makes a difference. I know there are a ton of coyotes, and our neighbors say, that has always limited the deer population in Navarro.
Posted By: Ihunt

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/23/18 09:20 PM

This guy was hanging around Navarro county last year. Usually see the better bucks middle of December.

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/24/18 12:46 AM

Thank you for your responses.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/24/18 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08
In general, it’s okay but nothing special IMO.
I tend to agree, its gotton way better with the antler restrictions but we still have alot of road hunters/poachers. I live about 10 miles from the county line, the east part of the county along the Trinity river and anything bordering Richland Creek WMA is generally where the studs come out of.

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/25/18 08:14 AM

This is the buck I shot last year.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone hunt in Navarro county? - 08/25/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Ihunt
This guy was hanging around Navarro county last year. Usually see the better bucks middle of December.

What a stud buck. Beautiful. That's what ag crops can do for a mature deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum