Texas Hunting Forum

They are starting to look good...

Posted By: jbseamus83

They are starting to look good... - 08/19/18 06:57 PM

Low-fence Coleman county (South of Santa Anna). We only have 56 acres that we are working with, but making the most of it that we can right now. Running a corn/protein pellet mix with 2 feeders, and have a large mineral site setup that they are hitting hard right now. Some young ones in there that should develop nicely in the next year or two if they survive the season. The really tall 6 point is on the cull list. He was a really tall 7 last year and didn't develop anymore this year.

Posted By: chrswr

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/19/18 07:15 PM

Geezzzz my deer dont look anything like that
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/19/18 07:25 PM

Lotta young ones. Good lookin deer!
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 12:41 AM

What do you have at your mineral site?

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: HVILLE HNTR
What do you have at your mineral site?

I have a Trophy Rock and Ani Logics Ani Minerals block. They are hitting the Ani Logics the hardest. I also use Big Tines .30-06 Protein Plus on the ground with scattered corn. I put the mineral blocks on wooden posts laying on the ground to soak up the minerals and just reuse the same posts. It's in an area that provides them a little cover compared to the feeders, but would also give me about a 25 yd shot with a bow.
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 01:20 PM

Looking good. Those minerals make a difference
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 02:26 PM

cheers
Posted By: TooLow

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 02:30 PM

Wow really nice ones there.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: They are starting to look good... - 08/20/18 04:10 PM

Nice!
Posted By: emorydog

Re: They are starting to look good... - 09/04/18 01:49 PM

Looks like mine.....well not really.
Posted By: major_74

Re: They are starting to look good... - 09/30/18 10:12 PM

Nice
Posted By: JCO

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/01/18 12:10 AM

That’s worth getting up for. Nice bucks.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/01/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: JCO
That’s worth getting up for. Nice bucks.

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/01/18 12:34 AM

Yeah! These were the only pics we have of them in daylight though. They have gone completely nocturnal now. May be waiting for the rut and hoping they are still around.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/01/18 04:43 AM

Agree on the cull...that one is a definite shooter! When the weather gets cool, they will probably get back to daytime, unless they ar heavily pressured.

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/01/18 01:47 PM

That's what I'm hoping. In the past, we would get the bachelor groups like this but when they broke up for the rut, most would disappear. I'm hoping that with the work we have put in on the land, we will get them frequenting through even once they have broken out of the bachelor group.

And that tall 6 is definitely on the cull list, and I hope I get him. Love deer that look like that. Really tall tines! food
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/02/18 03:01 AM

Our place near Santa Anna is 61 acres with 3 feeders and Bucks are only showing face on camera at night (9:00pm-1:00am) Almost daily they have been seen in the evening hitting water at the horse stable and off and on in the late morning. Not sure why working the feeders at night since they go off at 7:30am and 6:30pm!!! We feed year round

Re: They are starting to look good... - 10/02/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Eleven Bravo
Our place near Santa Anna is 61 acres with 3 feeders and Bucks are only showing face on camera at night (9:00pm-1:00am) Almost daily they have been seen in the evening hitting water at the horse stable and off and on in the late morning. Not sure why working the feeders at night since they go off at 7:30am and 6:30pm!!! We feed year round

Do you lease or own your place? We feed similar times. Have 2 feeders and the mineral site right now. Looking at possibly a 3rd feeder. Our timers are set for 7 am and 5:30 pm. Have good deer on your place?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum