Texas Hunting Forum

Preventing weevils in deer corn

Posted By: bbv586

Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/28/18 11:59 PM

So with our corn feeders, we notice weevils in the corn after it sits for a while when we open it up to add more corn or at the bottom when we are testing batteries. We do our best to seal up the feeder, but there are always going to be openings and holes for weevils to get in. I've also heard that the eggs are often already in the corn when you buy it. So my question is, do you use poison (Malathion is what some people mention) in your corn or food-grade diatomaceous earth (d.e.) when you add corn? I've heard people mention putting the new corn in a freezer for a couple weeks before adding it to a feeder. I would have to call our local butcher and see if they are okay with me putting corn in their deep freeze, not sure if they would be okay with that though.

My issue is the feeder can get clogged with weevils turning the corn to dust. We normally have the deer feeder emptying slowly during offseason (1 to 2 seconds) to keep deer in the habit of going to the feeder. I know I could just put in a bag or two at a time, or increase the amount of corn thrown out. But, I'd like to have an option to fill up the feeder with corn and not have to add corn for a while.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 12:47 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 01:13 AM

Run your feeder empty between filling, or at least really low. The corn tends to funnel down through the middle and leave the old corn on the sides then eventually gets bugs in it.
Fresh corn is the best idea, no poison
Posted By: Mykol

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 02:06 AM

Farmers that store corn in grain bins use pellets, we call them weevel bombs but i have no idea what they are actually called. I am thinking any grain elevator could tell you. I buy my deer corn bulk and had the same problem that you mention, these pellets solved the issue.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 02:22 AM

Weevils or brownbugs?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Weevils or brownbugs?
looks like that thing crawling around in your sig line roflmao
Posted By: Western

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 02:27 PM

I have used the DE from the feed store with great results, I add about 1-2 cups per bag of corn during the warmer months,. I forget it's there until the feeder goes off, get a nice "smoke" cloud then lol.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 02:54 PM

don't know the answer, we have stored corn in 55 gal barrels with tight fitted lids up to 2yrs, never had the problem and never added any type of pesticide.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 04:30 PM

I store my corn in a shipping container and use to have them get in my corn. I put down some diatomaceous earth and stack the corn on top of it. Seems to have worked for me.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 06:05 PM

I used to buy bulk corn straight from the dealers. The eggs are already there and if the corn sits they will hatch. Best bet is to feed it asap. If it sits for any length of time your gonna get them. Stompy has a good suggestion.
Posted By: don k

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/29/18 10:25 PM

If you got them in your feeder what I found is empty it. Wash it out. Buy corn that has no dust in it. I quit getting it at a few places because there are already bugs in it. The most important thing now is get your feeder clean. Then buy clean corn.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/30/18 01:03 PM

Put bug bombs in your feeders between fillings. Bomb your storage containers, silos etc, every time they're empty and before refilling.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/30/18 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Buy corn that has no dust in it.

What brand are you getting. Everything I buy from Academy, Tractor Supply, and local feed store is full of dust.
Posted By: don k

Re: Preventing weevils in deer corn - 07/30/18 03:36 PM

Mummees is usually pretty good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum