Texas Hunting Forum

Deer minerals

Posted By: StrungOutOutdoors

Deer minerals - 07/20/18 05:34 PM

Yall ever wondered which kind of minerals deer prefer? Or what the difference is between each brand? Whether your an old timer, or new to hunting, we've got some interesting information here for you, regarding minerals. When, how, and why deer use minerals. We are NOT selling products, this is just a mineral test. Were actually just launching our first of many videos on youtube. And looking to grow our audience. Please like, share and subscribe and help us get the word out. Look forward to seeing yall around THF

Thanks advance, The Strung Out Outdoors team
https://youtu.be/J-EMnsGTvBE
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Deer minerals - 07/20/18 05:42 PM

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer minerals - 07/20/18 06:20 PM

Several years ago I put out some of those deer cane mineral blocks like in the pic/video above. It was skinny times in the texas hill country and the deer wouldn't touch them. I thought they finally ate them or they weathered away after 2 years until I found it in a pile of leaves in my feed pen. I did get a good laugh out of that finally.

Re: Deer minerals - 07/20/18 08:29 PM

Yep, nothing special about the stuff. Its basically just salt, but youd be surprised how little people know about the types of minerals they use and why deer utilize them. Hope yall find the video informative
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Deer minerals - 07/21/18 02:59 PM

We run protein and buy 50lb bags of coarse livestock mixing salt for $6
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer minerals - 07/21/18 06:05 PM

Most of those are not minerals but attractants with a very small amount of mineral or trace mineral. They get more from the native vegetation than they do from those attractants, except the salt. Most soils in Texas have a lot of calcium and most of the water in Texas will have a lot of calcium. Lot of stock pond/tanks in South Texas have to much salt in them already. Any cattle or livestock on a place and the deer will utilize the mineral/salt sites if or when they need them IME. I would be more interested in a test of actual premixed minerals instead of salt heavy attractants.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Deer minerals - 07/22/18 02:55 AM

Not even the hogs would touch the salt blocks I put out unless it was to move them out of the way.

Re: Deer minerals - 07/22/18 09:20 AM

You are correct. But these are the most common brands that people know as minerals and limited to in stores. I have am established mineral site that was not part of the test, that I use the red head on track, which is the highest mineral content I can get with 12% phosphorus and 10%calcium along with other vitamins and minerals . But as for the video, it was meant to educate hunters on these kinds of things and the many benefits of minerals. Half the people buying these brands don't realize they are being insanely overcharged for nothing more than salt. That's why we went into detail of the ingredients listed. The test was actually neck and neck for most of the brands, but the healthier block actually had more visits and had less salt content @ only 30% salt. I found it interesting, because it is the salt that they crave. Who knows, maybe they knew they were deficient in certain minerals. Here in my neck of the woods, there is no agriculture and soil is poor. I do all I can with protein and food plots. Overall the minerals are a minor boost, but better than nothing and the deer sure appreciate it. Plus its great for trail cam pictures. Either way, salt has to be a major factor for flavor alone. Otherwise the minerals wouldn't taste good enough.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer minerals - 07/22/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Not even the hogs would touch the salt blocks I put out unless it was to move them out of the way.

I put out one of the blocks that has corn and acorns and others goodies in it, it smells kind of sweet, I thought the deer would like it. I broke it up into smaller pieces so that it would be easier for them to nibble on. The next morning it was 100% gone. I checked the trail cam and pigs had finished it off in 2 hours.
Now we call them pig blocks
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Deer minerals - 07/22/18 05:25 PM

I have good luck with consumption on the Purina brand mineral.

Re: Deer minerals - 07/25/18 04:19 AM

Big and J? Those feed type blocks wont last a day with deer either
Posted By: GHale

Re: Deer minerals - 07/25/18 04:04 PM

I had a friend recommend pool salt. He has been using it for years. It is basically a bag of rock salt that you can buy a 40 lb.for $6-$7 at Walmart. They have been pawing the dirt around where I put a bag about 3 weeks ago.

Re: Deer minerals - 07/26/18 11:53 PM

yeah , anything with salt they should like. Just depends on what you want. To get pics, attract, or to supplement for a healthier herd.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Deer minerals - 07/27/18 02:07 AM

Call it a fluke, whatever.

Last year I put out that Big and J (I think it was called)

The next night I had a mature buck on it on camera. Lots of does, it was GONE in 3-4 days.

I thought, wow.

Did it again about 2 weeks later. Same thing another mature buck was getting after it. Again, all gone in 3-4 days

Stuff is expensive but it sold me.

I will give it a go again this year.

Re: Deer minerals - 08/05/18 02:57 AM

They are pretty good at attracting
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum