Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Espy
looks good up
Posted By: Western

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Espy
looks good up

Not anywhere close to that green here, still looks like winter except for the leaves on the trees, 1st year in 5 that the deer have hit my fruit trees hard enough to have to cage the trees.
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 11:48 AM

the buck in the background has a cut on it's leg?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 04:01 PM

Looks like a grass stem to me.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 04:04 PM

Thanks. Western, we did have "1 1/2 the other day but the cracks in this ol black dirt are still big enough to break a ankle. smokewagon84, don't think its a cut, have other bucks and doe with that on them (maybe ticks?)
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 06:29 PM

Nice bucks and pics. That buck has biting flies getting him. That is a spot on his hind leg where he constantly is licking at them to move them get them off of him.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 08:42 PM

Hind leg or rump? I see the raw patch on his hip you're talking about. I figured the guy was looking at the long grass stem running up his right hind leg.

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Hind leg or rump? I see the raw patch on his hip you're talking about. I figured the guy was looking at the long grass stem running up his right hind leg.

Top of the right hip up next to the backbone/upper flank area. Where the hindquarter ends at the backstrap.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/18/18 10:42 PM

Looking good! up
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/19/18 11:49 PM

Yep stx, the flies have been bad on the cows this year. Never thought about that, like I said many other deer have the same on them.

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/20/18 12:19 AM

Pretty common this time of the year to see it. Most never saw that on deer till they started using TC. I have watched deer have so many around them, biting them they would run from a feeder back into the thicker brush just to try to knock some of the flies off. Saw it last year in August in McMullen County. I think that is why so many deer are not seen in the daylight this time of the year...that and the heat. But even if deer are stressed from drought they still do not move much in the daylight when the flies are bad.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/20/18 12:09 PM

Hate those biting flies worse than wasp and mosquitos bang
Posted By: tlk

Re: Being so dry not looking bad.. - 07/21/18 01:42 AM

Funny thing - I have been hunting Texas for 60 years - we all hope for rain. However some of the best deer I have ever seen taken were during severe drought conditions.

This deer was a 175 inch 9 point - in a year of drought he added 26 inches and went to a 15 point book deer. He liked the protein which IMO was a factor of there being no rain and no browse - so he went to the feed station multiple times per day. Sometimes I wonder if a good drought is not the best thing for a deer season

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum