Texas Hunting Forum

I'm going to put a blind right here.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 11:15 AM

I don't have any blinds on my place but I'm fixing to. Since they decided to put up such a nice set up I'll take advantage of it, only deer going to that pen will be coming from my side. I'm sure they won't mind, need to cull a bunch of does from that section any way.

This is getting old folks, real old.

Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 11:18 AM

Awful nice of them to use your place as a backstop for their shooting.....:.:

Call the GW.

I’d set up a stand directly in their line of fire.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 11:37 AM

I personally dont like blinds on the fence line as most of the time the only way to shoot carries the bullet across the fence which is against the law. The other side looks like an accident waiting to happen. A bad situation indeed...however many hunters dont see a problem with fence hunting. Just think...the guy hunting the fence could set up on the other side of the blind with a pen such that he would be shooting toward his side of the fence. There needs to be some law to regulate when a dangerous situation exists. This setup probably is within the law..This setup is usually a rookie hunter...needs guidance, and experience.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 12:03 PM

You can't fix stupid, and I feel your pain.
Leave him a note that you would appreciate that he move it or else.
I think you can reach that feeder easy with a grappling hook which would be the or else.
Looking at the picture, I noticed he has a brush pile to the left if you stand looking at the feeder, or his right of the feeder. Suggest he move the blind there and shoot parallel to the fence so the bullet doesn't cross your fence.
I hunted on a place once that had a blind touching the fence, but he shot parallel to the fence or at least that is what I hoped he did.
It's not fun walking around on your side knowing someone can send a bullet your direction at any time.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 12:30 PM

The grass is always greener...

And pure laziness, trying to save having to build a 4th side to a feed pen.
Posted By: 68A

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 12:33 PM

That’s as bad as I’ve ever seen it.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 12:39 PM

I can understand him/her hunting near the fence line if they're on some small acreage, but the stand and feeder spots should be switched around.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
I can understand him/her hunting near the fence line if they're on some small acreage, but the stand and feeder spots should be switched around.

2 sections on their side.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 01:17 PM

Put an outhouse right in line with that feeder & blind.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 01:26 PM

High fence that section. Deer will still go around, but activity will be lower.
Posted By: therancher

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 01:53 PM

Probably over half the people on this forum support fence hunting. And most are the people who hate high fences.

That warms all my cockles.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 01:57 PM

Bad situation.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 02:00 PM

Hey Thanks for the picture of my setup. clap
Posted By: fouzman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 02:32 PM

From TPWD...And we all know this. Virtually impossible for them to shoot from that blind and not have their projectile cross your property line. Call the GW and have him come look at the set-up and then go have a talk with the fence line hunters. Or spend about $20k and put up a mile of high fence.

Restricted Methods
It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.
Posted By: PMK

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 03:03 PM

yep, have local GW come take a look at the set up.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
yep, have local GW come take a look at the set up.

We had a similar incident at our place. GW came out and asked them to move it and they did with no issue.

GW did tell us that he cannot make them move it. It is on their land and until the projectile actually crosses the property line, the other hunters haven't actually committed a crime. He also said that it is almost impossible to prove that the projectile crossed the property line and make the ticket stick because of the lack of evidence. He said that the law was originally designed to be added onto other violations, like shooting a deer across a property line. At that point, it is easy to prove that the projectile crossed a property line.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 03:14 PM

set up a plywood fence in the direct path of any shooting lanes ... with the below text printed on each ...

Quote:
Restricted Methods
It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.
Posted By: ckat

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 03:29 PM

set up a plywood fence in the direct path of any shooting lanes ... with the below text printed on each ...

Quote:
Restricted Methods

I like that...

The GW can't make them move it until the law is broken, but he can let the other hunters know that he will be monitoring closely. That plywood fence could be your permanent monitor...
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 03:32 PM

Seems like a good place to park an old camper, or start dumping your gut piles on that spot.
Posted By: don k

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:07 PM

I know what I would do but I won't say it on here as it might upset some folks.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:21 PM

Quote:
Restricted Methods

That was actually one of the options that the GW told us that he has seen people do cheers

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Probably over half the people on this forum support fence hunting. And most are the people who hate high fences.

How close to the fence do your property rights go? popcorn

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors. Not move it off the fence, move it so they aren't shooting onto our property. I also don't care about high fences. Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors. Not move it off the fence, move it so they aren't shooting onto our property. I also don't care about high fences. Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

Just because something is legal, don’t make it ethical.

A 60 yo man could date a 17 yo high school girl legally. He’d still be an unethical scumbag. He also shouldn’t be surprised when he gets his azz kicked (or shot) for doin it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:34 PM

Quote:
Restricted Methods

That was actually one of the options that the GW told us that he has seen people do cheers

I would just put up the plywood with a big bullseye target on it.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:35 PM

I put a corn bag with a target on the fence and took a picture of it and posted on here. Member saw it and reached out to me. He moved it and problem solved. He is a great guy.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:38 PM

confused2

We had a similar incident at our place. GW came out and asked them to move it and they did with no issue.

confused2

Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

confused2

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
confused2

confused2

Just find it interesting that a HF proponent that lays the claim on property rights would argue against someone utilizing their entire property.

confused2

Selective editing!!

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

A 60 yo man could date a 17 yo high school girl legally. He’d still be an unethical scumbag. He also shouldn’t be surprised when he gets his azz kicked (or shot) for doin it.

Point taken rofl

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 05:45 PM

confused2

confused2

confused2

Selective editing!!

For the record, I don't hunt fence lines but don't care when the neighbors do. With a set up like in the OP, I would ask them to move it like we did with our neighbors.

Do as I say or do as I do? You had a problem with it and called the GW or you did not have a problem with and let the hunter keep his feeder where it was? You did not ask him to move but called the GW instead since you HAD a problem with his setup. If it was not bothering you would not have called the GW.
confused2
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 06:25 PM

Quote:
Restricted Methods

This. And hang as many and as large mirrors on it as possible. Lots of mirrors.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 06:27 PM

If you decide to leave them a note, be sure to remind any deer they shoot that makes it onto your land becomes your property and no one can force you to give it up.

Any shot taken at a deer that is likely to result in it becoming unrecoverable in not an ethical shot.

IMO, fence hunting is akin to the problems that led to the demise of using dogs to chase deer. That is, disrespect of landowners by other hunters. In both cases, it leads to an unrecoverable deer ending up on land the hunter doesn't own.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 06:52 PM

Do as I say or do as I do? You had a problem with it and called the GW or you did not have a problem with and let the hunter keep his feeder where it was? You did not ask him to move but called the GW instead since you HAD a problem with his setup. If it was not bothering you would not have called the GW.
confused2

Do as you please lol. We asked them to move the way it was set up, not to move it off the fence

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 07:08 PM

confused2

Do as you please lol. We asked them to move the way it was set up, not to move it off the fence

You should have became an attorney... grin Twist and turn and redirect and ...and...and...in the end you still had a problem with it since you called the GW....it is okay to admit it. grin
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 07:12 PM

With Plywood. The first windy day in West Texas and you would be replacing fence.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 07:26 PM

agree, that set up as it is shown in the pictures by OP are highly likely for the bullet to cross the property line with animal around that feeder. It would be much safer for all parties to move the stand to the fence line so they weren't shooting towards but in parallel to the fence line if that is their preferred hunting area.

Also have to be cautious on relocating your gut pile, mirrors, etc. as a deterrent as it could be deemed as harassment. I wonder if Liquid Fence on your side of the fence could be detected by humans loser8
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 07:31 PM

What ever happened to if you had a problem, walking up and talking with them. All these people saying call the law, and suggesting ways to get “even”.
In most cases if you presented it the right way, the problem would probably get resolved. And you might even make a friend out of the deal. You can never have too many hunting buddies. Especially in rural areas where help could be quite a ways away. Like someone else mentioned, it’s probably an inexperienced hunter who doesn’t know any better.
If that doesn’t work then you use other measures.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 08:10 PM

I seriously doubt a hunter on two sections is that clueless. Unethical, yes.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 08:38 PM

Have a chat, and don't be a Richard. Let them know you are concerned that any shot taken from that stand, even if they hit the deer, will travel across the fence. Still a pain, but even moving the blind to an spot where the angle is along the fence is preferable to this location.

Second point, and I think stated above, unless the shot taken results in DRT, any deer shot from that location is very likely to jump the fence onto your property. That creates an entirely new problem - trespassing, especially if deer shot at a time when you are not around.
Posted By: spg

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 09:22 PM

Put some manikins on the fence line with balloons tied to them

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 09:31 PM

I fully realize that you're supposed to love thy neighbor. But, in my experience, you rarely come out ahead talking to one about something you need or want. And a neighbor's hunters, ones that have already demonstrated they're inconsiderate idiots? Don't waste your time.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/05/18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I fully realize that you're supposed to love thy neighbor. But, in my experience, you rarely come out ahead talking to one about something you need or want. And a neighbor's hunters, ones that have already demonstrated they're inconsiderate idiots? Don't waste your time.

Agreed. The fact that someone has created such a setup says a lot about their hunting attitudes and ethics. Their actions have already made a clear statement in the opening of a potential conversation.

Don't overlook the fact that it may be a hunter who is leasing the property and not the landowner who might not be aware of the hunter's actions. An honest and ethical landowner doesn't want to create conflict with his neighbors. I remember our relationship with a landowner resulted in a hunter being dropped from his lease when we discovered he had gone a mile through public land to put a stand next to our fence. While his actions were completely legal, it didn't fare well with the landowner that he had a guy hunting his place that was so eager and focused on hunting fence lines, even when they weren't his. It turned out every stand the guy had put up was on a fence line.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm of the opinion you see this type of thing more often when it's not the landowner but some guy leasing the place that wants to milk every square foot of it to kill deer.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/05/18 10:26 PM

Hwy man, is this a deer lease or is it the property owner that put the stand there. If it’s a lease, the owner may not know about it. We told our lease owner about a similar situation and the problem was solved when our owner called his neighbor. The stand was gone the next weekend
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/05/18 10:35 PM

I have a situation just like that at a corner boundary that is over a big hill/small mountain from an area I hunt on my lease. They also used the boundary fence as one side of their feeder pen. But it is a huge feeder pen to the point it looks like they may have tried putting in a small food plot with it that failed. I could tell it even throws feed on our side of the fence. The stand at this one is permanent, I don't think they could easily move it because for a stand they put in a tiny cabin with a foundation and windows facing the feeder. Shots from stand to feeder would have to cross the fence, but at least the terrain rises on our side so bullets are not going very far into our property.

When I first noticed it, I was actually looking for what I thought was a poacher because I had been hearing shots that sounded as if within a corner of our lease. That area I had set aside as a sanctuary so the neighbor had been able to that boundary fence a full season before we noticed it and maybe longer than that. I was only upset for about 5 minutes.

I studied the game trails leading to the feeder from within our lease and noticed most game going to his feeder was coming from within our sanctuary area. I Found a high point little hill about 200 yards into our lease from the feeder that was a vantage point over the most well used trails as well as bedding areas, but also out of site of the neighbor's stand and feeder because of terrain and trees. Then on that high point I built up a crows nest style open blind of piled logs and brush and placed a metal chair in it.

From the shots I heard last season, they only hunt it weekends, we only hunt it weekdays. Stand is simple, feeder is free, no maintenance, and no feed cost. I don't want them to move it now. Next season opening weekend just for grins I am going to put a plotwatcher hidden on our side covering the area near the feeder along both sides of the fence to see who, where, and what they shoot.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 270Sendero
Hwy man, is this a deer lease or is it the property owner that put the stand there. If it’s a lease, the owner may not know about it. We told our lease owner about a similar situation and the problem was solved when our owner called his neighbor. The stand was gone the next weekend

This is an estate with multiple family members handled by a local bank from what I know.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

This is an estate with multiple family members handled by a local bank from what I know.

Visit the local tax office to see who's paying the property taxes. That will lead you to the true owner(s).

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 02:53 AM

confused2

You should have became an attorney... grin Twist and turn and redirect and ...and...and...in the end you still had a problem with it since you called the GW....it is okay to admit it. grin

Take it back or we can no longer be friends!!!! rofl

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 03:12 AM

confused2

Take it back or we can no longer be friends!!!! rofl

grin

Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 10:34 AM

Everyone has an opinion , I guess I do to. I would start by leaving a note in a baggie taped to the fence explaining the situation with my phone # and contact info. Figure out an option that you can agree on and may become friends. If it doesn't work out you can go to option #2 and get someone else involved. They may just be ignorant, first lease, new hunter etc...
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 11:52 AM

I think a lot of times the fenceline hunting argument is overplayed on here, especially when feeders are clearly set up 100-200 yards into the adjacent property, but that setup is definitely a dangerous and counterproductive situation. I would first attempt to have a direct, civil discussion about it.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear that, and could explain a lot.
Probably a free for all where multiple friends and multiple relatives know the situation, so it's probably a pretty crowded ranch.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
I think a lot of times the fenceline hunting argument is overplayed on here, especially when feeders are clearly set up 100-200 yards into the adjacent property, but that setup is definitely a dangerous and counterproductive situation. I would first attempt to have a direct, civil discussion about it.

IMO, there's no foul when you have deer holding habitat on your side of the fence and you're shooting away from it. It becomes a problem when you have nothing on your side of the fence that provides deer with food and natural cover to sustain them.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
Everyone has an opinion , I guess I do to. I would start by leaving a note in a baggie taped to the fence explaining the situation with my phone # and contact info. Figure out an option that you can agree on and may become friends. If it doesn't work out you can go to option #2 and get someone else involved. They may just be ignorant, first lease, new hunter etc...

I would do that, and * then also put a hidden game trail camera up to see if they pick up the note*...if so, you have evidence they have seen it. If they still haven't moved it or at least contacted you after a set amount of time, call the game warden.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/06/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

I would do that, and * then also put a hidden game trail camera up to see if they pick up the note*...if so, you have evidence they have seen it. If they still haven't moved it or at least contacted you after a set amount of time, call the game warden.

If they don't reach out to you, I'd reach out to the bank that's running the show. They have an excellent grasp on liability and will most likely not want to be part of any suit that could result from their leaser's incompetence.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 01:32 PM

Quote:

If they don't reach out to you, I'd reach out to the bank that's running the show. They have an excellent grasp on liability and will most likely not want to be part of any suit that could result from their leaser's incompetence.

Bingo!....I think we have a winner!
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 01:37 PM

If the blind and feeder were reversed how many of y’all would still be upset? I have a set up with the blind on the fence line...I own my section, built the fence, and like the how easy it is for me to park at the gate walk a short distance and be in my blind. Glad some of y’all are not my neighbors.

Hunting deer coming off my place headed to the neighbors, since everyone here claims the deer as “theirs” I guess I’m hunting “my” deer. If one comes from my neighbors side I’d shoot “his” deer I guess.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
If the blind and feeder were reversed how many of y’all would still be upset? I have a set up with the blind on the fence line...I own my section, built the fence, and like the how easy it is for me to park at the gate walk a short distance and be in my blind. Glad some of y’all are not my neighbors.

Hunting deer coming off my place headed to the neighbors, since everyone here claims the deer as “theirs” I guess I’m hunting “my” deer. If one comes from my neighbors side I’d shoot “his” deer I guess.

So, you own 640 acres, but hunt right on the fence line?

How do you know your neighbors won’t let an errant round cross the fence & hit you in the stand? From that perspective, how smart is it to hunt the fence line?

The closer you are to the neighbors, the more likely you are to be shot, by accident or design.

I just can’t understand fence line hunters.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 02:18 PM

If the blind and feeder were reversed how many of y’all would still be upset?

From what I've read, most would agree with reversing the blind and feeder to be acceptable, which is the point when it comes to safety being the issue.
There are some who don't like someone hunting on the fenceline, but it's not against the law, but really just a matter of common sense.
If you have 640+ acres and put a blind on the fenceline, you are basically giving the middle finger to your neighbor to be honest.
Those same folks would probably troll on the internet.

Posted By: Flashprism

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 05:21 PM

I am amazed that this discussion is not filled with all those who generally take the contrary position!!! It's legal, stop whining, your selfish, how do you know they'll trespass?, etc, etc. It's common sense not to hunt someone else's property line. That set up tells you to reduce your IQ 50 points to have and equitable conversation. I have my own place and Again I have great neighbors, they don't hunt my line and with a call they are ALWAYS have my consent to retrieve anything they shoot that crosses my line. If I'm there I will help them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 07:30 PM

So, you own 640 acres, but hunt right on the fence line?

How do you know your neighbors won’t let an errant round cross the fence & hit you in the stand? From that perspective, how smart is it to hunt the fence line?

The closer you are to the neighbors, the more likely you are to be shot, by accident or design.

I just can’t understand fence line hunters.

Have 6 blinds on the place, one of which is on the front fence line about 60 yards from mine and the neighbors gate. We call it the front blind for obvious reasons....it’s facing a thick grove of mesquite and chap that deer bed in during the day. Some head north deeper into my place and some head east to his place in the evening, no feeder on this blind hunting the natural pattern of the deer. It’s nice to get off work and go straight to this blind during the week. Depending on wind direction I hunt the other blinds if I have more time for an evening hunt or in the mornings. Probably won’t kill the biggest buck on the place from the front blind but you never know. If the neighbor put one directly across the fence from mine facing his property I wouldn’t give a rip, Hell we could share beers thru the window.

Shooting across a fence is stupid and dangerous. Don’t agree with what hwyman’s neighbor did at all, but I’m not giving my neighbors the finger, a pos or a lazy azz because I have a blind on a fence line.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/07/18 10:10 PM

He could obviously afford to hunt a HF place though.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/07/18 10:27 PM

Depends on what they could see on my place. Been letting a situation ride for the past few years but last year pushed me over the edge after a mid week visit to the place. Now they can look at 100yds of pines on a 3x3 plot and the fence moved to the actual surveyed property line.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/08/18 08:45 PM

Easy remedy for them fockers. Get the GW out there and let him take a look and make contact.

Sec. 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE. (a) In this section, "firearm" has the meaning assigned by Section 62.014(a).

(b) A person commits an offense if:

(1) the person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, knowingly discharges a firearm; and

(2) the projectile from the firearm travels across a property line.

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person:

(1) owns the property on both sides of each property line crossed by the projectile; or

(2) has a written agreement with any person who owns property on either side of each property line crossed by the projectile that allows the person to discharge a firearm on, over, or across the property or property line.

(d) The written agreement required under Subsection (c)(2) must:

(1) contain the name of the person allowed to hunt or engage in recreational shooting in a manner described by Subsection (b);

(2) identify the property on either side of the property line crossed by the projectile; and

(3) be signed by any person who owns the property on either side of the line crossed by the projectile.

(e) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.

(f) If conduct constituting an offense under this section constitutes an offense under a section of the Penal Code, the person may be prosecuted under either section or both sections
Posted By: Bobby Frey

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/08/18 10:17 PM

I cleared a fence line and put up a fence, with no help from my neighbor. I never had intentions of putting a blind up...within 6 months they had 2 feeders up and blinds shooting directly down the fence line. Legally, they can do that, but it’s just not very friendly imo. We all share deer, so I am not too worried about it.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/08/18 10:50 PM

We have a neighbor to the west that just has 2 acres. He has a feeder set up where he can shoot deer from his kitchen window. I wouldn’t begrudge a man wanting to kill a few deer. I killed a nice buck heading towards his place during the rut years back. The only problem I’ve ever had with the guy is he takes in strays. One morning one bowed up to one of my bird dogs. Luckily I got her in the box before a fight started. I told him if his pit mix jumped on a good dog I’d have to kill it. Never saw that dog again. It helps to make freinds with your neighbors.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here - 07/09/18 05:09 PM

I would suspect this is an inexperienced hunter (at least hope so). Not only is the location disturbing and potentially dangerous, I see what looks to be an O&G pipeline right by the feeder so you might want to call that out as well.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/12/18 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter
What ever happened to if you had a problem, walking up and talking with them. All these people saying call the law, and suggesting ways to get “even”.
In most cases if you presented it the right way, the problem would probably get resolved. And you might even make a friend out of the deal. You can never have too many hunting buddies. Especially in rural areas where help could be quite a ways away. Like someone else mentioned, it’s probably an inexperienced hunter who doesn’t know any better.
If that doesn’t work then you use other measures.

^Something along these lines is how I would handle it as well. After this problem gets resolved you and the adjacent landowner are still gonna be neighbors......
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/12/18 11:33 AM

popcorn
Posted By: rattler03

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/15/18 11:19 PM

First, I'd leave a note asking the hunter to get in contact with me. I'd then explain to him how his setup is unsafe and that the location of his blind makes it pretty much impossible to not break the law when shooting a deer at the feeder. I'd tell him that I had left the letter in hopes that we could resolve this problem without having to get the game warden involved. Basically, I'd show him how I am trying to give him a break by not immediately calling the law. Regardless of his response, I'd tell him that he had a specific amount of time (a month maybe) to move or rearrange his setup before I called the game warden.

Like was said above, he's going to be your neighbor after this is resolved so you might as well do your part to not immediately become enemies.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/16/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: rattler03
First, I'd leave a note asking the hunter to get in contact with me. I'd then explain to him how his setup is unsafe and that the location of his blind makes it pretty much impossible to not break the law when shooting a deer at the feeder. I'd tell him that I had left the letter in hopes that we could resolve this problem without having to get the game warden involved. Basically, I'd show him how I am trying to give him a break by not immediately calling the law. Regardless of his response, I'd tell him that he had a specific amount of time (a month maybe) to move or rearrange his setup before I called the game warden.

Like was said above, he's going to be your neighbor after this is resolved so you might as well do your part to not immediately become enemies.

If I owned property, I'd like to think I'd make it a point to know who shares fence line with me so this type of issue would be minimized from the get-go.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/16/18 03:30 AM

The game warden is not going to do anything. No laws have been broken. If you were my neighbor and asked me for something reasonable I’d do it for you. If you threatened to involve the law I’d tell you to go F yourself and I’d keep telling you that until the day one of us died or moved.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/16/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

If I owned property, I'd like to think I'd make it a point to know who shares fence line with me so this type of issue would be minimized from the get-go.

Thinking it would not be problem and it actually being a problem is quite a bit different. My buddy had to put up a mile of high fence on one side due to it. Just because you have owned a place for 30 years doesn't make you immune to it.

Look at my post above, one of our members here did it to me. It was resolved amically. I put a corn bag target in the fence and took a picture. Having 8 miles of fence makes it hard to know everyone all the time. Hwy_man is dealing with a trust so not a person.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/16/18 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

The game warden is not going to do anything. No laws have been broken. If you were my neighbor and asked me for something reasonable I’d do it for you. If you threatened to involve the law I’d tell you to go F yourself and I’d keep telling you that until the day one of us died or moved.

I guess some wardens would try to do something about it, whether a law was broken or not.

I didn't say that the first thing I'd do was threaten to call the call the law. Obviously, if he agrees to move it after I pointed out the problem, I wouldn't mention anything else because he already agreed to do what I wanted him to do. If someone is being an [censored] about something, at a certain point all you can do is threaten them or give up the fight. I'd rather be threatened (warned) then just have the law called on me without warning.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/16/18 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

OP doesn't know his neighbors and it doesn't sound like he's ever going to know all of them. I doubt he even knows if its the owners or someone they leased to.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/17/18 03:59 PM

I was on a lease years back in South Texas. We ended up with way to many hunters and no place for stands. Lease Mgr put a stand on a Fence. I said this aint East texas, the Rancher next door will more than likley set it on fire. He no he won't, he is the bother to the guy that owns this ranch. I said all the more reason.

A few days later the Rancher tied a rope around the stand pulled it over the fence to his side of the property, with the rope left on it. Called his brother and said he'd shoot anybody that tried to retrieve the stand. Problem solved.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/26/18 02:10 AM

I'm guessing most on here don't support hunting fence lines. As far as high fences, if you have the money, go for it.
FWIW, we have 2 stands with 4 feeders on one of our fences. One feeder leg is tied off to a t post
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/26/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Gringocazador
I was on a lease years back in South Texas. We ended up with way to many hunters and no place for stands. Lease Mgr put a stand on a Fence. I said this aint East texas, the Rancher next door will more than likley set it on fire. He no he won't, he is the bother to the guy that owns this ranch. I said all the more reason.

A few days later the Rancher tied a rope around the stand pulled it over the fence to his side of the property, with the rope left on it. Called his brother and said he'd shoot anybody that tried to retrieve the stand. Problem solved.

Sounds more like the escalation of a problem more than solving one.

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/26/18 03:18 AM

2 siblings. 2 ranches side by side. What could possibly go wrong?
Posted By: JJH

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/26/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
2 siblings. 2 ranches side by side. What could possibly go wrong?

roflmao
Posted By: snake oil

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 07/26/18 06:16 PM

I had a problem like this on 461 acres I owned in Llano County an put up a mile of high fence. Problem solved...
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: I'm going to put a blind right here. - 08/29/18 12:36 PM

I guess I am having trouble seeing the problem. Looks like a perfectly good place to hunt with a feeder that someone keeps filled for you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum