Texas Hunting Forum

Fannin County

Posted By: bigcoyote

Fannin County - 06/24/18 12:10 AM

Looking at a lease there today, north of 82. Didn’t see any signs of hunting in the area. No stands anywhere. Lots of thick woods with oak and pecan, and farm fields...corn...beans. Seems perfect for deer, but...
Anyone with any experience out there? Thanks!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Fannin County - 06/24/18 12:32 AM

There's plenty of deer up there. Lots of cover, lots of water. Whitetail's biggest enemies in Fannin county, in order:

1. Poachers
2. Coyotes
3. Feral hogs

So, if #1 is not a problem, then you can deal with #2 and #3.

Get them to need a reason to come to your place, special food. If you throw corn, pen the hogs off of it, deal with the coons. Food plot, fence the hogs off of it. Protein, free choice, not slung.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fannin County - 06/24/18 05:25 AM

^^^ nailed it. North of 82 is even better.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: Fannin County - 06/24/18 12:08 PM

Make sure it's not where the new lake is going in. Hate to see you lease it then it get under water.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Fannin County - 06/24/18 01:52 PM

Have to be way north to be worth paying for Deer Hunting in Fannin County. There's a few in other places, but if it was not in the NE corner near the government land and river, then I don't see how people pay to deer hunt here.

I'd say be active on the lease, visible, and that takes care of many of the poachers. If you are just coming every 3 weeks, then expect poachers... also I sure wouldn't want to put a stand or feeder visible from the road.
Posted By: Bonham

Re: Fannin County - 06/26/18 02:49 AM

There are huge deer in the south part of the county near the Delta County line. But the big issue like has been said before is poachers. A couple of years back a friend had a 22" 12 point on his place and found his body one morning. They only took enough for a shoulder mount. Good luck finding private land to hunt on.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Fannin County - 06/26/18 03:51 PM

One of my brother in laws has a small place north east of Ladonia, one corn feeder in a pen, see's 3 to a dozen deer almost everyday.

For several years I had a grazing lease east of Allen's Chapel, saw a few to many deer almost every time I was there, no feeders.

As has been said, you didn't see any signs of hunting, blinds etc, because folks familiar with the area know better than to put anything visible with binoculors near any kind of a road. That would include a neighboring property.

Just like any county, there are areas with a good population and areas you'd be lucky to ever see a deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum