Texas Hunting Forum

Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative)

Posted By: Klinker

Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/06/18 04:22 PM

Does anyone have experience using peas as an alternative and/or supplement to blend with corn in their feeders? For example, Peas Plus is 100% black eyed peas and Mumme's uses green peas blended with corn. I have had some recommend using peas to give deer something unique that other feeders are not offering. I have had others suggest that there is nothing deer like better than corn. Opinions?
Posted By: Erny

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/06/18 04:58 PM

I have heard of using soybeans instead of corn. But never black eyes. I am curious as well.
Posted By: cos

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/06/18 05:01 PM

Deer love them. Higher in protein as well. Going to cost more also.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/06/18 05:33 PM

I have used "splits" or cull from blackeyed and other types of peas raised in South Texas and in the Panhandle. I used them back in the early 90's and fed them free choice. I was able to buy them bulk. Deer in some areas do not take to them quickly, so you have to be patient. I have seen people feed them out of spin feeders but they have to be pretty clean so they do not clog the feeder. They used to be much cheaper than protein pellets and about the same price as whole cottonseed back in the 90's.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/06/18 09:27 PM

Have seen soybeans work well as free choice - especially when there is active ag farming for the crop in the area.
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/07/18 02:05 PM

tried them on numerous ranches. turkeys flock to them like crazy but no luck with deer. soybeans work MUCH better
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/07/18 04:45 PM

Protein over carbs this time of the year.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/08/18 02:39 AM

I mix corn and roasted soybeans and have for years. Deer and turkey really seem to like them.
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/08/18 04:54 AM

Plant some to eat in N.La and you'll have to fight the deer for them.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/08/18 02:41 PM

when I am buying my food plot seeds, the field or blackeye peas are considerably more expensive than corn. I've never thought about possibly putting those in a spin feeder (mainly due to the cost difference) but should work well once the deer got accustomed to it.
Posted By: spg

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/08/18 09:26 PM

Soybeans have good nutritional value for deer but you can buy a quality protein feed for alot cheaper. I always wanted to mix soybeans with protein but the soybeans are too expensive.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/09/18 03:36 PM

Tried to use them in the Hill Country one year and never could get the deer to take to them. It was pleasant filling feeders after a summer rain because the area would smell like black-eyed peas cooking at my grandmother's house. We were throwing them out of feeders, not planting them as a food plot. Might work better as a food plot.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/09/18 04:11 PM

once my feed store was out of pea seed when it came time to plant food plots, went to HEB and bought a couple pound bags of dried black eyed peas, they actually came up and the deer loved them.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/14/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cos
Higher in protein as well.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this thread.
Posted By: duelerdude

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/20/18 06:46 AM

Tried them this year in Brownwood, deer seem to like them and it works great in a spin cast feeder. Just hope that for $18 a bag it is actually helping the deer!!
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Peas Plus - Black Eyed Peas (Corn Alternative) - 05/20/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
once my feed store was out of pea seed when it came time to plant food plots, went to HEB and bought a couple pound bags of dried black eyed peas, they actually came up and the deer loved them.
Only black eye and pinto seeds we plant in the garden are from H.E.B.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum