Texas Hunting Forum

Where have the deer gone

Posted By: varnoldi13

Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 12:27 PM

We have gone from having herds come in every night and every morning to one or two deer coming by every few days . We are smaller land , wondering if this is typical come spring with crops blooming.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 12:47 PM

Yep. Plenty of new growth to eat. They have really slowed down at the feeders.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 01:37 PM

I have the same deal. Feeder corn lays around for a while, and way fewer deer in the yard during daylight hours. But, last night I shined the spotlight around in the front around 10 pm and there were deer bedded down all over the yard.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I have the same deal. Feeder corn lays around for a while, and way fewer deer in the yard during daylight hours. But, last night I shined the spotlight around in the front around 10 pm and there were deer bedded down all over the yard.
up
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 02:53 PM

They'll be back!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 04:11 PM

Pounding the young clover and other new weeds/forbes that are springing up!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 05:10 PM

They'll be back in September.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 06:40 PM

This is why I don't run a feeder in the spring.......
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/28/18 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
This is why I don't run a feeder in the spring.......
Will run a corn feeder on a couple of unfenced feeders for pigs. Free choice protein will be available in select spots.
Posted By: Western

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/29/18 12:56 PM

Very typical as the fellas said, new growth is much better nutrition and the know that. Land management for browse, is one of the best things you can do to improve deer forage btw. I still have the "regular" crew that clean up the turned down timer nearly year round, but it is a small amount.
They do a good job trimming my fruit trees each spring as they seem to bud a tad earlier than the native vegetation.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/29/18 01:24 PM

Time to turn the feeder down
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/29/18 08:11 PM

Sunday March 11th got home around 9:30 PM and had 22 standing in the pasture beside the house. Rye grass and clover mixed in with common bermuda.
They still hit the feeder behind the house but not as hard as fall.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/29/18 09:22 PM

CWD got them all haven't you heard peep

Nothing unusual for spring and green-up for deer to back off feeders. The deer are still there just not needing the handouts like they did in mid-winter. I turned my corn feeders down a month ago to 2 seconds/twice per day and feeding at 6 am and 9 pm. I still have corn on the ground in the daytime. My protein consumption has all but stopped also. Still a lot of tracks at water and on the food plots chasing winter weeds. I plowed them all last week but deer are still moving around. I see 2-3 bucks and 1 doe at the house feeder when it is cool enough.
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/30/18 07:45 PM

They are migrating>>> roflmao
Posted By: flounder

Re: Where have the deer gone - 03/31/18 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
CWD got them all haven't you heard peep

Nothing unusual for spring and green-up for deer to back off feeders. The deer are still there just not needing the handouts like they did in mid-winter. I turned my corn feeders down a month ago to 2 seconds/twice per day and feeding at 6 am and 9 pm. I still have corn on the ground in the daytime. My protein consumption has all but stopped also. Still a lot of tracks at water and on the food plots chasing winter weeds. I plowed them all last week but deer are still moving around. I see 2-3 bucks and 1 doe at the house feeder when it is cool enough.

SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 2018

TEXAS DETECTS IT'S 101 CASE of CWD TSE PRION Breeder White-tailed Deer with no end in sight

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2018/03/texas-detects-its-101-case-of-cwd-tse.html
Posted By: don k

Re: Where have the deer gone - 04/03/18 10:24 PM

It is very strange. Across from a neighbor of mine a person completely cut all the cedar from his place and burned about half of that. Yet my neighbor actually has less Deer now than before. Where did the Deer go that should have gone into the neighbors place looking for cover?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Where have the deer gone - 04/05/18 04:49 PM

where have all the ????gone, can't thing of the song
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Where have the deer gone - 04/05/18 06:03 PM

"flowers"......duh!
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Where have the deer gone - 04/05/18 06:13 PM

Mine aren’t killing the corn so much but they’re hitting the protein to make up for it. The turkeys are hitting the corn so I won’t back it off until mid May.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum