Texas Hunting Forum

Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/03/18 11:23 PM

More than 30 whitetail deer come running when Brenda Dlugosh scatters corn about 9 a.m. every morning at her home on nine acres in a subdivision in North Bexar County.
An unusual fawn showed up in the summer of 2009. It was dark black from nose to tail, which had white underneath.

Her twin, a buck, was colored normally except for a little black on his face.
“I’d never seen a black deer before,” Dlugosh said.

Her husband, Tony Franckowiak, christened her Chupi, short for Chupacabra.

more
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/outdoo...oe-12543543.php
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/03/18 11:26 PM

Not that rare. I’ve seen several over the years in bexar and comal

Very neat looking deer though
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 03:47 AM

It’s not rare, there, but it is overall. This only occurs in a couple isolated areas nationwide.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 12:11 PM

Very cool I have never seen one up
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

Me either. I have seen a piebald doe before, but never seen a melanistic whitetail.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 12:49 PM

Neat deer, we have those in Harrison county on the southwestern side.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 03:44 PM

That's awesome never seen one either.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 06:37 PM

I saw one that was hit by a car, near Canyon lake. My FIL has one mounted that he killed years ago, near Buda in Hays county.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 06:42 PM

Pretty doe.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 06:59 PM

I've seen several all white whitetails in Lampasas.....never seen a black one.....
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 09:31 PM

Saw a melanistic spike around Sweetwater several years back. I watched it for nearly an hour with several doe. One of which was a really light blonde color.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/04/18 11:08 PM

I have a friend near San Marcos that seems to see one every year, he has shot few of them.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 01:19 AM

We have two in our neighborhood that come through our yard every week or two. The black doe had a black fawn this year, so now we have two.

They really are very pretty.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
We have two in our neighborhood that come through our yard every week or two. The black doe had a black fawn this year, so now we have two.

Way cool up

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 09:43 AM

Wonder how they taste........Don't really care for dark meat....
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Thanks, those are some beauties for sure. Never seen one yet.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 05:50 PM

Great pics! Love seeing these!

I was lucky enough to got a 10pt melanistic whitetail buck in Nov 2016. Here's the link to the complete story:
www.MapMyRanch.com/Black-Beauty.html

A sub article that explains melanism:

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

Not sure if you are joking or not, so forgive my answer if you were just joking. They taste the same as a regular whitetail - only difference is the coloration - everything internally is the same.

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch

Not sure if you are joking or not, so forgive my answer if you were just joking. They taste the same as a regular whitetail - only difference is the coloration - everything internally is the same.

Yes Sir I was joking......

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch

Yes Sir I was joking......

up

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 09:03 PM

Would you mind calling me. I'm interested in a map and have some questions..Gary Fulton 940-452-4449

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/05/18 09:23 PM

Good talking with ya, Gary! Look forward to working on your map!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/06/18 10:42 PM

George, that is a beauty of a deer. Congratulations.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/07/18 12:38 AM

This fellow shows up around our house every month or so. Also have a doe around. Not real common in Comal county, but not very rare either.

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/07/18 12:56 AM

I saw a very black doe in San Saba county this year. We have seen some deer that had a much darker color before but this was the first real dark black.

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/09/18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
This fellow shows up around our house every month or so. Also have a doe around. Not real common in Comal county, but not very rare either.

Nice!!!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/11/18 02:13 AM

That buck is awesome George, once in a liftime their. I would have to do a full body probably on that dude.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/11/18 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub

me either

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/11/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.

He's got a zit or something on his right cheek..........
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Rarest of the rare: Couple cherish black doe, fawn in North Bexar - 02/12/18 01:02 AM

Not sure what that is on his face, in other sightings I don't see it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum