Texas Hunting Forum

"Special" Late Season

Posted By: crooked horn

"Special" Late Season - 01/02/18 10:42 PM

Was wondering how many people wait until after the General Season to shoot does. I seldom ever shoot one, because the neighbors take care of herd reduction around my place. My thoughts are, you have a month of archery season, and 2 months of rifle season, to take them. Why wait? If your goal IS herd reduction, the sooner the better, plus, a more balanced buck/doe ratio makes for a more active rut. Just curious.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 12:05 AM

Because they focus on a good buck while they’re legal. I’ve shot some does, already, but I’m going back for a few more. I space it out so I’m not cleaning 6 deer in one trip.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 12:26 AM

I tagged out on bucks after the 2nd weekend of rifle season. I've shot one doe but would have shot more by now typically. I've been trying not to pressure our property while others are still trying to get a buck. In years past I usually only take one doe until both buck tags are filled, so late season I'm doing more shooting.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 12:53 AM

I really only shoot does early in the season if they show up as a hunt is ending, and I need the meat. I think I’m like a lot of guys. Don’t want to shoot a doe midhunt in the off chance a big buck is in the area.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 02:02 AM

Maybe you guys can clear something up for me.....during the youth season can the youngsters shoot bucks?
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 02:15 AM

I don't like to take late doe unless need meat.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 02:20 AM

I wish TPWD had a Doe only hunt for a couple of weeks before general rifle starts. Hate killing late season pregnant Does.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: WatersFowler
Maybe you guys can clear something up for me.....during the youth season can the youngsters shoot bucks?

Yes.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: WatersFowler

Yes.

up
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
I wish TPWD had a Doe only hunt for a couple of weeks before general rifle starts. Hate killing late season pregnant Does.
That would be my thought as well, but I can understand why people would be afraid they might over pressure their place. Pretty sure the only reason it is set up like it is, is to extend the season, and thereby keep hunting related money flowing. If TP&W really wanted to trim the herd, they would make shooting does mandatory, before getting a buck tag, like some places up north do. Having said that though, I don't guess there is a wrong time to shoot a doe, if you need too.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:02 PM

I wish they would make it spike only and leave the late season pregnant does alone.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:05 PM

If population control is your goal then the breeding, pregnant doe, should be your targets. 2 or 3 birds with one stone.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:21 PM

Shoot does early and get em out of the way before the rut starts. Just my .02
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:41 PM

I try and kill bucks early, and does late. But that also is decided how much meat I still have in the freezer. If I am low on venison I will take a doe early in the year on last hunt of the trip.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/03/18 04:46 PM

I kill a doe as soon as I can. I no longer care about antlers so the quicker I can get the meat down the better.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/04/18 12:45 AM

Shooting doe's early or late season is pretty much a wash as far as fawn crop go's.

I shoot mine in the late season most years.
Posted By: PMK

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/15/18 09:26 PM

question ... during this last week/weekend of the Special late Season ... is this for true spikes (slick on both antlers) or slick on one side?

reading from the TPWD for the county I am wondering about, here is a quote:

"Special Late Season During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point."

seems like AN ANTLER having no more than one point is referring to only 1 side ... or is that referring to both sides????
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/15/18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
question ... during this last week/weekend of the Special late Season ... is this for true spikes (slick on both antlers) or slick on one side?

reading from the TPWD for the county I am wondering about, here is a quote:

"Special Late Season During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point."

seems like AN ANTLER having no more than one point is referring to only 1 side ... or is that referring to both sides????

As long as one side doesn't have more than one point. The other antler can be 5 points, or 1, it's legal. That can be due to natural growth, or if it's been knocked down due to breakage.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/16/18 03:19 AM

Confirming youths can kill ANY buck in the late special season?

Youths can kill any buck they see, adults are limited to spikes and one sided spikes ?

I read that book but it needs to read more clear
Posted By: Rustler

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/16/18 03:59 AM

January Special Youth-Only Season:
The season is open in all counties where there is a general open season for white-tailed deer. All legal hunting means and methods are allowed, except in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties, where hunting is by archery equipment only and crossbows.

Special Requirements:
In Bell (East of IH-35), Burleson, Delta, Ellis, Falls, Fannin, Franklin, Freestone, Hopkins, Hunt, Kauffman, Limestone, Milam, Navarro, Rains, Smith, Titus, Van Zandt, Williamson (East of IH-35), and Wood counties (see County Listings).
In a county where antlerless deer may be taken only by permit, a permit is required to take antlerless deer during the youth seasons.

Now check the county regulations your youth will be hunting in.
If youth hunts in an AR county, AR regulations apply to the youth also.

During the Special Late Season, take is restricted to antlerless and "unbranched antlered" deer. An unbranched antlered deer is a buck deer with at least one antler that has no more than one point.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/18/18 07:52 PM

If it's a legal buck all you have to do is just stomp of one horn......LOL
Posted By: snake oil

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/18/18 07:59 PM

If you take a Buck you need to take at least one if not two does....
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: "Special" Late Season - 01/19/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
If you take a Buck you need to take at least one if not two does....
Not necessarily. You need to know your herd density, buck-doe ratios, habitat quality, not overbrowsed, etc.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum