Texas Hunting Forum

Single digits

Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Single digits - 12/30/17 01:12 AM

I’m on the fence about going to the lease this weekend. It’s Supposed to be in the single digits on Sunday and even colder Monday out in my next of the woods. What are yalls experience in such frigid temps. Do you think the deer will move to find food and stay warm or bed down and conserve heat and energy?
Posted By: TAT

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 01:13 AM

I think once the sun comes up they will be moving.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 03:32 AM

Seems like in my experience. when it's that cold, the deer don't seem to move that well. Only one way to find out though.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 04:41 AM

Do you think you’ll have any luck at the house?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 05:31 AM

Man I just don't know.

I would never consider it without my little buddy.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 01:37 PM

The only deer shot at home are the ones on games, ya cant eat them. rifle

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I have been known to bust out the nurff gun and shoot the ones on the TV rifle
Posted By: Olson75

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 08:37 PM

Based on experience, combining the cold weather coming and the full moon, what is your guess on peak times for deer movement?

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 09:13 PM

I think the warmest part of the day will trump the luner phase in this senerio simply because of how abnormally cold it is going to be. Im just gonna plan on sitting all day
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Single digits - 12/30/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter
I think the warmest part of the day will trump the luner phase in this senerio simply because of how abnormally cold it is going to be. Im just gonna plan on sitting all day

Good plan. That's what my son and I do.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Single digits - 12/31/17 02:28 AM

Hunted this afternoon in S. Coleman County. Driving out there around 1 PM the green fields were full of deer of all sizes. About 5:00 PM, I had a doe step out and added her to the freezer. If I hadn't gotten her, I'd be back out there after daylight trying to put one more in the freezer with her.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Single digits - 12/31/17 03:57 AM

It depends on the location, in our area there is a good chance of ice, and screwed up highways. I won't risk it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Single digits - 12/31/17 04:23 PM

I've been at this since before the season. I haven't logged my hours, but I bet somewhere between 250-300. Not Gonna' stop now. Seen more game this year than ever before.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Single digits - 01/01/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Single digits - 01/02/18 03:18 AM

My experience with deer movement and unusually cold weather is as follows:

1. At the first onset of the front (especially if windy) deer movement is curtailed.
2. Deer will often shift feeding patterns to the warmest part of the day.
3. Deer will move less (ride out bad weather) for a day or two, but by the 2nd or third day, they need to feed. I don't go to a stand early (before sun-up) but deer will feed aggressively at some point during the day, then bed down and conserve energy, so look to food sources.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum