My South Texas Hunt

Posted By: DOD

My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 04:06 PM

South Texas about 12 miles NW of Eagle Pass
Gun- My Dad's old Remington 270
Bullet- 150 Grn Sierra Game King
Weather- Warm and sunny afternoon
Date- December 20, 2017

Spotted this deer on a fence line about 800 yards away. Eric and I bailed off the high rack and went about 60 -100 yards off the sendero and proceeded to close the distance. Eric did a great job of judging how far we had gone and when we came back out on the fence line, we would have been right on top of him, but to our dismay the deer were gone. Eric decided to head down the fence another 100 plus yards, so we could watch the road both ways from a high spot, set up and see if we could rattle him back in?
After getting into position with me facing into the wind and looking back the way we came and Eric dacing the other way, Eric started ratteling and racking the bushes. It didnt take long before I spotted this buck along the fence line, right about where we had just come out of the brush. He was tending two does and started pushing them towards us. He moved down the fence to about 150 yards away and Eric had given me the green light to shoot him as he was old enough. Eric had moved further out to the edge of the road and kept repeating that he was old enough to take him if I wanted him, since I was facing away from him, he couldn't here me answer him, as I didn't want to take my eyes off the deer for waiting on him to turn and give me a shot, so he couldn't hear me answer him that I wanted him and was waiting for him to turn.
When he finally turned I completely blew the shot and shot over him. To say I was completely mortified at missing this deer is an understatement, but to my relief Eric says shoot again he is still there. The deer didn't spook and even came a little closer. My next shot redeemed myself and put this one in the high shoulder and dropped him where he stood. Although I had broke his back, it took another shot into his chest to put him down completely.
This was a deer as you walked up on him he didn't shrink one bit. He had the kind of rack that carried the mass all the way out to his tips. It was a hunt of a life time for me. Spotting a deer from afar, stalking through the brush to close the distance and then ratteling him back in was more than I could ask for.
To say I am grateful is an understatement and couldn't be more excited.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 04:13 PM

Awesome buck. Congrats!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Awesome buck. Congrats!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 04:29 PM

Great buck!! congrats cheers
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Awesome buck. Congrats!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 09:16 PM

Goodern
Posted By: TAT

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/25/17 10:19 PM

Great buck and mass!
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/26/17 04:27 PM

Great buck
Posted By: Stub

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/26/17 04:36 PM

Heck of a buck, he looks like a bruiser congratulations cheers Any guess on weight?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/26/17 05:05 PM

Outstanding buck, congrats! cheers
Posted By: Lotto

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/27/17 03:51 AM

Great buck.......A little different than what we are use to huh ?
Posted By: NDN98

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/27/17 04:40 AM

Congrats on an awesome buck!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/27/17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Outstanding buck, congrats! cheers

up
Posted By: BQM88

Re: My South Texas Hunt - 12/27/17 06:56 PM

Nice one
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum