Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Behavior

Posted By: wacoducks

Deer Behavior - 12/12/17 04:55 PM

Last night while sitting in the blind I had a spike appear well before the feeder release time. However for the two minutes this spike was out he was shaking his whole body non stop tail pointed straight back. His shakes were more like a dog shake not trembles, but he did tremble at times. It eventually got the the point where he spooked himself off. Has anyone seen this before, is this a sickness, or did he just have something on him
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/12/17 05:24 PM

Horsefly
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/12/17 06:34 PM

I would assume he had flies, gnats, mosquitoes or something else. OR .... He kept moving so that you would not be able to get the crosshairs on him!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 05:03 PM

Fire ants! I've seen where they would do as you describe and run in circles bucking like a bronc.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 06:27 PM

Probably crab lice attained during the rut.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: cullbuck
Probably crab lice attained during the rut.

eeks333
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 07:10 PM

partyon555
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 07:35 PM

I’ve seen a spike do this before as well as a few other bucks. I assumed it was horse flies or some other parasite type that was biting it.
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 08:38 PM

I have seen them act that way after they got their [censored] kicked by a bigger buck.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Deer Behavior - 12/13/17 09:36 PM

I have seen a doe act like that because of an infestation of ticks on her. I thought she was crazy until I checked game cam and found a close up showing a bunch of ticks on her ears and body. Odd thing was no other deer were infested like she was.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum