Texas Hunting Forum

Good news and bad news

Posted By: Texas Dan

Good news and bad news - 12/09/17 12:53 PM

Told my hunting partner my camera caught photos of a couple very nice bucks at his feeder last week.

The bad news is that all were taken in the middle of the night.

They don't get old being stupid.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/09/17 01:16 PM

They sure don't!! Maybe they will slip up. Try mid day hunting. Might just work out. I finally got one of old mature target bucks yesterday! Yay! Lol. Hardly ever see this deer but he slipped yesterday!!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/09/17 01:49 PM

The biggest deer I've laid eyes on all year has never made it to my feeder

I run my camera 24/7, no pics.
Posted By: Cowboy9215

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/10/17 04:36 AM

Just because he’s not on camera during the day don’t mean he don’t come through the area during the day. A lot of older bucks never even step foot near a feeder. If it’s a tight wooded area they’ll come within distance to look for does. If open they will stay in wood lines. When you do get a shot at taking them it won’t be for long unless there’s a doe around. Just my experience
Posted By: catsquirrel

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/10/17 11:57 AM

More than often see bigger bucks in middle of day
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/10/17 02:12 PM

You may want to invade the big buck bedding area. Look it up. Roger Raglin video made in the day of real. May learn something. I did. You go to them. Not wait on a leary old buck to come to you.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/10/17 02:15 PM

If I may. I am a successful hunter because I hunt them down like a dog. Not sit on my rear.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Good news and bad news - 12/10/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Cowboy9215
Just because he’s not on camera during the day don’t mean he don’t come through the area during the day. A lot of older bucks never even step foot near a feeder. If it’s a tight wooded area they’ll come within distance to look for does. If open they will stay in wood lines. When you do get a shot at taking them it won’t be for long unless there’s a doe around. Just my experience

This^^^
Where we hunt we have an area in the middle of the lease we call "no mans land" and nobody goes into that area even in the off season except right after deer season, or to trail a deer.
It's our deer sanctuary (75 acres) and it seems to have worked for the past several years. Going into that area and spreading your scent around is a sure way to drive the deer into the neighbors property, and if the deer aren't comfortable in an area they will leave and find a place that isn't disturbed.
The rut is when those bucks that are camera/feeder shy will show up, and you just have to be there when they show.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum