Texas Hunting Forum

Comanche

Posted By: highfly

Comanche - 12/06/17 10:23 PM

How is the deer hunting around Comanche? Looking to get a new place there NW of town off 2247. Haven't hunted the area in 10 years. Is there a lot of pressure? Do people around there shoot any horns they see? I imagine there will be a lot of hogs to shoot at.
Posted By: TexasATC

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 01:21 AM

This season is my third hunting Comanche county. South of the city 7 or 8 miles. We see plenty of deer and not many pigs. Pigs disappeared after we put fences up around our feeders. Pressure in our area not bad. Not many hunters around us. We’ve seen some pretty decent bucks the last year or so, not going to break any records. Definitely a great county to put some meat in the freezer. Rockin J’s on 67 has a good dinner menu and cold beer on tap. Good luck out there.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 01:31 AM

My family owns a place right there. Hasn't been hunted since the early 90's. I believe we're in the process of selling it. If that's the place, there were good deer there 30 years ago and I'd assume it's only improved.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 01:46 AM

I'm in the southwest part of he county off FM573, and we have had a really good season so far - 2 10pters and a heavy 9pters. It's been a odd year for me because I've only hunted the first two weekends. Last year all 5 of us killed 8pters!
Posted By: wtr

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 03:02 AM

We hunt about 10 miles north of town. We do have a good amount of pressure around us but do see a lot of deer. Took this one a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 03:37 PM

IDK, I've heard that county was pretty good in the 90's but been in a slow decline since. Seems genetically the bucks antlers there don't have the size some of the other texas counties do since the AR started, don't see as many giants come out of there, erath co. is the same.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 03:56 PM

My cousin has land outside of Sidney, just northwest of town near 'round mountain'. Used to be peanut country and deer got quite large. Peanuts are pretty much gone but he still has some great deer. Lots of non typical genetics around him.
Posted By: TXranch56

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 06:05 PM

We are on 200 acres east of town about 6 miles and have a few nice ones walking around. The population isn't quite what it is in the hill country but I'll post a few pictures of bucks we've caught on camera this year. Lots of dove and pigs around the area.

Posted By: briancooper

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 07:46 PM

We have been hunting in Comanche since 2004. You aren't going to kill the buck of a lifetime (most likely), but we always kill deer. If you shoot a buck in the 130's you are doing well. There is high hunting pressure for sure, but for us it is about time with family and friends and putting a little venison on the table.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: briancooper
We have been hunting in Comanche since 2004. You aren't going to kill the buck of a lifetime (most likely), but we always kill deer. If you shoot a buck in the 130's you are doing well. There is high hunting pressure for sure, but for us it is about time with family and friends and putting a little venison on the table.

Agree. up

Re: Comanche - 12/07/17 10:31 PM

I love that Sandy country. You can grow just about anything... TXranch56, nice deer. up
Posted By: highfly

Re: Comanche - 12/09/17 12:48 PM

Amen brother, that’s exactly why we bought there. We have some good fields that we hope to plant next year
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Comanche - 12/09/17 04:16 PM

We're hunting between Sidney and May. Plenty of deer, pigs etc. I have seen some good horns this year.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Comanche - 12/10/17 04:18 PM

TXranch56
that's a GREAT 6 pt you got there....

Hope you get him!!

Re: Comanche - 12/12/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
We're hunting between Sidney and May. Plenty of deer, pigs etc. I have seen some good horns this year.
Good area. Hunted that area growing up. Froze my arse off mostly, sitting up in a tree. I have zero desire to ever hunt that way again. Comfortable office chair in a spacious elevated blind, little buddy heater, coffee, snacks, pocket poon, Im in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum