Texas Hunting Forum

Heaters in the Stand

Posted By: crooked horn

Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 01:51 PM

Talking with a friend the other day and he mentioned having a heater in his blind. Realized that several of my friends use them. Over 40 years of hunting, I have NEVER used one. Admit to having some miserable sits back in the day, but with advances in clothing now, here in central Texas really don't have a problem. So, I was wondering, am I in the minority? Do most people use them? And those that do use them, do you light them with your tampon?
Posted By: Kuddles

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 01:56 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 02:03 PM

That caused me to chuckle...

I have one, but have never used it in the blind. Doesn't mean I won't, just haven't.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 02:16 PM

I have two Mr Heaters in my blind. I built my blind too big at 8x8 and we have to keep the windows cracked or they fog up real bad, so the heaters help, but it's never warm in there.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 02:23 PM

Yes, I use a Mr. Buddy heater when I'm cold and I'd use a tampon too if it would help keep me warm.
AND NOBODY SAY;

worthless
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 02:57 PM

Mr Buddy Heater if I was to use one. I mostly use it in my wood shop in winter just to take the chill off of me.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:00 PM

Have a heater in every blind on the ranch, they've rarely been used the past 2 years though. Nice to have them to knock the chill out the first hour of hunting. Seems when the sun hits the blind their not needed anymore.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:11 PM

I have only used one lately when my son and daughter sit with me. Prior to that I never used one.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:19 PM

I wouldn't hunt without one!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: crooked horn
Talking with a friend the other day and he mentioned having a heater in his blind. Realized that several of my friends use them. Over 40 years of hunting, I have NEVER used one. Admit to having some miserable sits back in the day, but with advances in clothing now, here in central Texas really don't have a problem. So, I was wondering, am I in the minority? Do most people use them? And those that do use them, do you light them with your tampon?

Yeah horn, but for what you spent on one fancy pair of skinny jeans you coulda easily bought a mr buddy heater & lifetime of propane. roflmao
rofl
rofl

seriously tho, the little 50's propane heater does great keeping my coffee cup warm!
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:54 PM

I have one in my blind and use it occasionally, mostly on those wet, cold mornings. And I don't light it with a tampon! A pad works better..... roflmao
Posted By: rickym

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Yes, I use a Mr. Buddy heater when I'm cold and I'd use a tampon too if it would help keep me warm.
AND NOBODY SAY;

worthless

I wished I had one 2 years ago in Cass county when it was 21 degrees outside.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 03:59 PM

How else am I suppose to warm my kids pop tarts in the morning? In all honesty, I prefer not wearing a jacket or even boots most of the time in the blind.. I haven’t warn a jacket in probably 3 years while deer hunting.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Yeah horn, but for what you spent on one fancy pair of skinny jeans you coulda easily bought a mr buddy heater & lifetime of propane. roflmao
rofl
rofl

seriously tho, the little 50's propane heater does great keeping my coffee cup warm!
LOL. Been a lot of years since I could wear anything "skinny". Looks like heaters are really popular. Was a guy posted the other day about catching his pants on fire though, that might be a little too warm.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 04:26 PM

I have Mr Heater electric start with a 10' hose and 20# bottle of propane in my stand. I can sit in the blind wearing shorts and a tshirt. Only way to get the wife to come sit o those cold days.
Posted By: Kgavin

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:06 PM

When I was in the Navy I was on the IRT team (initial response)and there was a general alarm "Flooding in the #1 pump room. The # 1 pump room is on the very bottom of the ship, there is a inline pump that draws from the a 8" bulkhead fitting welded directly on the bottom of the hull. There is a water tight compartment door with lockable dogs, a ships ladder going down into the pump room and that's it. One way in one way out. My ship mate and I heard the alarm, grabbed a pipe plug / patching kit and ran to the pump room. once inside the first responding officer gave prompt orders to shut and lock it behind us. hearing the dogs on that door slam shut one by one was one of the most awakening sound I can recall in my half century on the planet. long story short after calmly assessing the situation (there was about 2' of water in the space when we got there) we found a gauge that had sheared off now below the water level closed the 1/2" valve stopping the flow of water. It took over an hour to get permission to open the door and let us out. I was not prepared for exposer to North Atlantic water in a space with no heat and although it was a long time ago and I was a lot younger I still remember the moral of the story.

If you have the opportunity to add comfort to your situation take it! I love my Mr. Heater smile
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:20 PM

Portable heaters and ATV's are two things I wished were available when I first started deer hunting as a teenager back in the 70's. ATV's make it much easier to get a deer to the meatpole, and portable heaters make all the difference in keeping a ground blind bearable on sub-freezing mornings.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:29 PM

Never have used one. Personally, I still enjoy the cold, part of what makes it feel like hunting.

Might get one now that my kiddos are coming with me more. If it makes it more enjoyable for them and in turn makes them want to go more it's wroth it.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:35 PM

Here's a pic.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:37 PM

No, but I do use rechargeable boot inserts. Warm feet, warm me. They're great.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:38 PM

I’d rather wear less layers and use a heater. I don’t like having 2 shorts a jacket and a coat on. With a heater I just wear jeans a T-shirt and a hoodie. Much more comfortable.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 05:52 PM

Lots of good points about comfort, and of course kiddos/wives. I spend the vast majority of my time outdoors, may make a difference. Can't even remember the last time I put on a pair of thermals. I'm good into the teens, as long as the wind isn't hitting me. Got my insulated bibs, quality boots (that I can't even consider wearing unless it's below freezing) , grab my coat, and off I go. Sometimes I ride close to a mile in the Ranger predawn, no cab, wakes you up good!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 06:00 PM

I've only used one once in a ground blind when it was 18 degrees with a 15mph north wind. It's hard to draw a bow with the amount of clothes needed to stay warm in those temps. Oh, and I got a doe that day.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/04/17 11:53 PM

Sometimes I ride close to a mile in the Ranger predawn, no cab, wakes you up good!

I would think a macho man like you would walk that mile.... up hill.... both ways.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 12:03 AM

I've used them.....mostly with kids or on especially cold mornings....always crack a window for fresh air....never gets "warm".....mostly just takes the chill out of the air.....
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 12:14 AM

I am at a loss for words.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 12:43 AM

I have two boxes set up for a north wind. Both have propane heaters. I'm a forester and spend more time outdoors than most. I don't shy away from the elements nor do I have anything to prove. My favorite days to hunt are cold and rainy. I like to walk in atleast a half a mile. Peel that wet outer layer off. Tuck in to a nice dry blind. Fire up the heater and get comfortable in my nice soft chair and relax. I work in that environment everyday so just being there is not a big deal. I enjoy sitting there in comfort drinking coffee and spectating.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:10 AM

I have a Mr Heater but it never made it to the stand so far.

It just hasn't been cold enough

But I would bring it, for sure.
Posted By: The Duke

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:23 AM

YUP I have 30,000 BTU of heat in my blind. I can hunt in my shorts and T-shirt with the windows open with it being 10 degrees outside and be plenty warm. haha
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:29 AM

YUP I like my heater. I tend to stay longer in the blind warm and comfortable.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:34 AM

Been hunting with a heater for years. Haven't needed a heater the last 2-3 years though.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
Sometimes I ride close to a mile in the Ranger predawn, no cab, wakes you up good!

I would think a macho man like you would walk that mile.... up hill.... both ways.
I used to, but I'm partially handicapped from a severe farm accident. Wish I still could. I haven't completely turned into a Metroplex "hunter" just yet, still park a good ways from the blind.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 03:58 AM

Mr Heater Big Buddy for me!
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:03 AM

I went decades hunting from a fixed stand or using my climbing tree stand on public land and areas I found to hunt on up in New England. Froze my arse off a lot of the times while bowhunting through the season. I am talking about hunting in 20 degrees and lower lol. I would dress for it and have hand warmers and foot warmers but it still got mighty cold. Now that I can hunt in a blind on my buddies private land where he lives, I use a Mr Heater Lil Buddy Heater when it gets down to the 40’s and in February if I am hunting at night for hogs. I have gotten used to the climate down here and couldn’t see myself hunting long nights without using a Heater now. It does get really warm in my blind so I end up wearing just a long sleeve shirt with a thermal underneath after the Heater gets cranking. That is with the windows cracked open in front of me and behind me. My wife (who is from here) and I used to fish for Steelhead on the Salmon River tributaries in upstate NY in February when it was 8 degrees in the morning but now forget it lol. We would be in the water wearing neoprene waders, Corker spiked sole wading boots and dressed like we were on an arctic expedition lmao. It was so cold that if your hair was wet, you could break it off after it froze. Now with being used to the weather down here, I put a jacket on when it gets to 60 degrees. I don’t know if it’s because I am getting older or because my back is screwed up but I definitely need a Heater these days when it gets colder out here.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:18 AM

No I just start the tractor up a key, why the hell who I set in a heated blind when I have a mobile hunting lodge that actually lets me get really close to deer. Especially if I have the mixer on the back. I can out feed anyone!!!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:20 AM

FYI, Cabelas has there Mr. Heater Reconditioned Little Buddy Heater for $39.99 each.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:34 AM

We had the small bathroom heaters in all of the 4x6 blinds. A friend remodeled a house that had space heaters in every room. I bought all of them and re did the orifices to propane and had a 5 gal tank plumbed to each blind.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 05:04 AM

Received a Portable Buddy as a gift. Thought it might be nice. I have good clothes and longs walks to blinds so it turns out, too much heat. Don't use it. Except a few years back when my house heater went out on the coldest night of the winter. It worked great.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 05:43 AM

Hope I get to use mine more this year. Only once so far when it was 30 degrees. Maybe used it once or twice last year. Year before, a lot. It needs to be in the 30s to think about it.
Posted By: mow

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 11:08 AM

Last year..THANK GOD I HAD A BIG BUDDY...7degrees..set my coffee out of my thermos down..5minutes later coffee froze..BIG BUDDY TURNED ON..LOVE MY BIG BUDDY
Posted By: Stub

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 12:35 PM

Have a nice Mr Buddy that I have had for 3 years, only used once in a decent 4 X 6 tower blind that we built about 10 years ago that has drafts. I do not like the smell or glow so I dress warm with many layers
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 01:12 PM

Would hate to have to hunt without one
10 doe 50 to 80 yards spread out on corn I threw hour ago.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 01:14 PM

Well, looks like the jury has spoken: majority of people at least have them, even if seldom used. Maybe someday I will have to break down and buy one. But for now, just don't have the need. Heck, it seldom even freezes anymore during the season here.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:29 PM

Mr buddy here. No sense in roughing it.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:35 PM

i have a few of the Coleman catalytic heaters. Just right for a small blind. No shame in wanting a little warmth.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:39 PM

I enjoy using the heater, I am more comfortable shooting with minimal clothing on.
Posted By: mideon2000

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 04:40 PM

I love cold weather and we dont get weather that is crazy cold usually until after deer season. Hiwever, if someone were to have one installed in a bling, i certainly would take advantage. As you get older you dont really care about how "manly" you appear, but more about being comfortable. However a jacket and a thermos of coffee or cocoa works just fine in most situations
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 05:37 PM

When I am hunting, don't want to carry a heater when I am spotting and stalking. With rifle, binos and shooting sticks, I have about all I want to carry.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: PMK

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 06:55 PM

at an old lease, I had one of the old school propane porcelain space heaters like most older houses used to have in the bathroom along with a 5 gallon propane tank ... very quiet and would warm up a 6x6 elevated stand pretty good on those really cold and/or damp mornings.

rarely does it get cold enough for me to need a heater though.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 07:00 PM

Used one for years to keep Dad warm; usually left me sweating! I use it when temps drop into the low 30's.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/05/17 09:13 PM

I'm from S. La., I get cold when it's below 60. Love me some Mr. Buddy Heater! smile
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 12:12 AM

I have a heater in my stand, same as everyone else, Mr Buddy. I had some folks scoff at it.. "who needs a dang heater!?".. and I am like, "you are right, don't really need it. The insulation keeps most the cold out, the lights cam be turned on and while they do not really generate heat, I can ball them up and make it look like a fire and think they are hot...and oh, by the way.. you can sit in the tree stand across the way and I will watch you freeze and when your dead frozen hulk is laying there, I will make sure your man card is tucked in your chest pocket."

I can cook myself out of my stand... and be happy doing it :P

Spent a week, one morning, in a tree stand in Montaque County north of Dallas one year while on leave in the Navy and the wind was forming icicles on my mustache while my sweater was wrapped around my face. You can have that :P

R

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 12:31 AM

I made a spot for my heater in my new blind!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 12:33 AM

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 12:40 AM

Pics not posting.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 01:07 AM

This is rdmac's blind, he built a spot for the heater to be stored in..... go ahead crooked horn tell him he's not a man.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 01:30 AM

Lol! Thanks Lefty!
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Here's a pic.

Love my buddy heaters.. have two... just dont get too comfortable and fall asleep or your rubber soled hunting boot will melt with your foot in it.. scratch

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

This is rdmac's blind, he built a spot for the heater to be stored in..... go ahead crooked horn tell him he's not a man.
Don't know what kind of a man he is, but heck of a carpenter.
Posted By: mightyp

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 03:55 AM

When temp drops around 30 or so then Mr Buddy heaters come out,kinda silly not too,no since in being cold if ya dont have too.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 04:04 AM

gotta be below freezing for me to drag the buddy out.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 03:46 PM

Little buddy stays in the blind all season. I hate cold weather and refuse to be cold when I don't have to be. I will take it with me if I'm hunting other friends or family land.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 03:56 PM

I'm weird but I hate blinds. I don't even feel like I'm hunting unless I'm outside with the deer. I'm always the only one though. I bowhunt all year and sit in tripods. A long time ago I decided instead of spending money on blinds I'll buy the best clothes money can buy. I went and dropped almost 1000 on first lite merino wool gear. I haven't spent a dime since. It takes longer to layer up but I love being out there with the deer. I do just as well if not better then all the other hunters we've hunted with. Sometimes when the wind is wrong I'll take a varmint chair and sit on a far away bluff with my rifle. It works. I highly recommend First Lite gear. I don't think I could do this type of hunting without it.

And it's worth saying I don't bad talk everyone for using one. I get it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 04:27 PM

When I was little dad kept one in the blind.

Currently don't have any and no want for one, but with little kiddos getting to the age they are tagging along more and more I suspect they will make a resurgence.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 04:34 PM

I use a heater all the time. I hate winter and I'm not about to sit and be miserable for hours on end.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
I use a heater all the time. I hate winter and I'm not about to sit and be miserable for hours on end.
Yup.....the older I get the more I like 'em.....
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 05:15 PM

It doesn’t get cold enough in Texas for a heater. I don’t even hunt in blinds really I’m in a tree. I have used them before on our buddies place in Missouri but i used it because it was already there. I’m not going to bring one there. A couple years ago hunting up there one day it was 17 degrees with a 30mph north wind and sleeting and someone took the heater out of that blind. I dressed heavy and was still cold.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 05:28 PM

I used to be tough. Sit in a steel ladder stand in 16* weather and it didn't bother me.
Now, I'm older and I welcome a nice warm blind with a heater.....I guess you can say I paid my dues.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 06:12 PM

How does a Mr. Buddy work? Do they use batteries for a fan? If not, why are they selling electrical cords for them as an accessory on Amazon?
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 06:17 PM

They work off of 1 pound propane cylinders or a 20 pound tank wiith a hose. No electric needed....
Posted By: Jeff McGuire

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
How does a Mr. Buddy work? Do they use batteries for a fan? If not, why are they selling electrical cords for them as an accessory on Amazon?

The "Big" Buddy has a fan built into it that runs off 4"D" batteries. The other units just radiate heat (no fan).
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 07:16 PM

I thought tampons were reserved for those who whine about fence line hunters and "ranchettes", but I was wrong. A pillow and duct tape seems to work better for those cry babies.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 07:32 PM

Ah, okay, thanks. I think I may get one for my garage.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 09:16 PM

This is what I look like without my heater!!!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I thought tampons were reserved for those who whine about fence line hunters and "ranchettes", but I was wrong. A pillow and duct tape seems to work better for those cry babies.
Ranchettes: yep, hate em with a passion. Is what it is. People who put feeders on property lines to reap the benefits of others work/investment: hate them too. People who post off topic to try and stir up sheet: well, you get the picture.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/06/17 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Ranchettes: yep, hate em with a passion. Is what it is. People who put feeders on property lines to reap the benefits of others work/investment: hate them too. People who post off topic to try and stir up sheet: well, you get the picture.

Well, glad I made your hate list. Carry on with your hateful hatefulness.... up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 12:17 AM

I’ll be out tonight in the rain and sleet chasing hogs no heater but may sit in the truck with heater and warm up between stalks lol
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 12:25 AM

Why wouldn’t you have a heater in the stand if it were cold enough? As for the tampon comment, I’ve never handled one except to throw it over my shoulder.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 12:43 AM

I have one but have not used in a while. Again here in central Texas we are not blessed with much really cold weather. But I would use it in a heartbeat if needed and would light it with whatever is handy.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 12:47 AM

Sometimes I like to climb into the blind on a real cold day and take off a couple layers to be more comfortable and a heater makes that easy to do without freezing.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 12:48 AM

You know hunting is slow when people are in a pissing match over using a heater in the deer blind. I'm just glad heaters aren't made by yeti, otherwise this would blow up.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 01:11 AM

Just got home from hunting. The stand I hunted didnt have a heater so I wore my cold weather gear. 36 degrees sleet and rain mixed with no wind. I didnt get a bit cold. All my other stands have heaters in them. Nothing wrong with being comfortable in the stand heck my chair is cushioned. My heaters will light by pushing a button no tampon needed. up
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/07/17 03:17 PM

These two pictures from two different perspective locations make for what I call great hunting. This is few minutes ago!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/08/17 12:26 PM

It’s 14 degrees this morning. You better believe I’ve got the Coleman propane heater cranking. No reason to be miserable.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/08/17 01:10 PM

Dont have a stand, but a warm woman would work pretty good. Maybe 2. One on each side. banana2

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/08/17 01:30 PM

Heater is not keeping up. Gunna have to break down and buy some insulated boots for late season hunts. Ariats don’t cut it.
Posted By: krod777

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/08/17 01:34 PM

I got my goin... 15 degrees

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/08/17 04:04 PM

It was 14 degrees in JB this am so I finally dusted off Mr. Buddy heater this am and brought it to the blind, oh heavens yes it was toasty up First time I have felt the need to use it in a couple of years.
Posted By: Hookem79

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/10/17 07:56 PM

I have one and have no issues using it if I get the least bit of a chill. 50 or 5 degrees, I'll light it up.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/10/17 08:10 PM

Hard to use a heater in a tree. Probably not very effective either.

I am fine sitting in a tree in 25 degree weather because of the great improvements in cold weather clothing - especially boots and socks. If any of you have never tried a pair of insulated Muck boots you need to give them a try. As long as my feet stay warm I am good.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/10/17 08:30 PM

Coleman Sportcat.

Posted By: David Stidham

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/10/17 10:02 PM

I've never used one either. Several days I promise I wish I had one. Feel like the Michelin man trying to stay warm
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/10/17 11:54 PM

I sure used mine this morning..my son didn’t have any propane and was miserable,
No tampon needed here either.....

Posted By: MClark

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 01:27 AM

Opening weekend of rifle deer I could have used an air conditioner in the blind, was toasty in the PM.

M

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 01:56 AM

I use a couple of buddy's.

Question, on super cold days do you turn it on before the sun comes up? I wait until sun is up.

Do you have windows open or closed whe. Running the buddy? I crack a window.

Just curious what y'all do....

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 02:09 AM

Run it as soon as I get in the stand

I usually don't crack a window until after the sun comes up

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 12:08 PM

I started using the Sportcat when hunting with my dad or uncle thirteen years ago. With them in their mid to late eighties, I knew that the temperature had started to affect whether they enjoyed the hunt or not. When I started to bring it, I could tell that the "tampon" effect was in play but I just told them I probably had bigger balls than them and the heater was for me, to keep them fellows warm and swinging. As the years unfolded and if it were cold, they would ask if I was going to carry the heater and the affirmative pushed them into wanting to go. I had three 4x8 skid mounted blinds made for them, but I maintained the tower blinds on my place, they just sat empty.

This year is my first year hunting solo and with a north wind, being 10' to 15' up, it is colder at 63 than it was at 50. I've also learned from two great outdoorsmen to take the pleasures where you find them, and in the end, it has nothing to do with whether you can endure the elements or not, but everything to do with how long you can do it.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
I've also learned from two great outdoorsmen to take the pleasures where you find them, and in the end, it has nothing to do with whether you can endure the elements or not, but everything to do with how long you can do it.

Best quote I've read in a long time!
I always say it's because "I'm older and wiser!" Those grey hairs have to count for something!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I've also learned from two great outdoorsmen to take the pleasures where you find them, and in the end, it has nothing to do with whether you can endure the elements or not, but everything to do with how long you can do it.

I always say it's because "I'm older and wiser!" Those grey hairs have to count for something!

Thank you, Jimbo. In the last thirteen years, I've heard some good ones! I think my dad might have another year or two, but he is sitting this one out because my mom is dying. I moved them out here back then, to keep an eye on them. My mom is going to is pass within the next couple of days. This probably sounds a bit clinical, but I write this with a heavy heart.

Two quotes stick with me at this moment. My uncle was settling in for a nap in a front bedroom; my house is all windows for a complete view of the ranch, I walked in and started to close the blinds to make it darker. He said, "No, no, leave them open. I want to go out looking at paradise." I sleep with the blinds open.

My dad, "I have never regretted and barely remember a shot not taken, but I do regret and will always remember those shots that should not have been taken."

Another thing that I miss is the food these two old geezers brought. I'm not there yet, but I need to be. Some of the best sandwiches I've eaten in my life have been in a blind before sunrise. Heaters, food, wisecracks; a lot of hardcore hunters are missing out on a better experience. I'm hard as most, spent the night in both a chain on and a box tower because I felt that my walk in was causing problems and the route couldn't be adjusted. Both freezing nights. A bunch of other stuff that wasn't fun either, I'm good, strike a match to that heater!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 03:13 PM

First time I have used my Mr. Buddy in about 3 years was these last two weeks. Interesting listening to it run out of propane, reminded me of when your rear end is telling you it is time to go flush NOW laugh

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 08:20 PM

The Sportcat doesn't make a sound.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/11/17 10:31 PM

Like already said, I just don't like wearing a bunch of bulky clothes to the stand that I'll be peeling off about 10:00 and either sweating in or carrying back to camp. We have those little ceramic coated bathroom heaters in every stand. Nice tiny little blue flame, just enough to knock the chill off. I climbed into my stand Saturday morning at 24 degrees. Went to light the heater and realized I'd forgotten to turn the tank on. Climbed back out, went to turn it on. No bottle! Got back in the stand and sent out a mass "Who TF did this?" text. Turns out a buddy was sitting my stand Wednesday and it ran out of propane on him. He took it in to swap out and hadn't gotten back yet. Dang that was a cold morning. I was counting on that little heater amnd wasn't dressed for it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 12:48 AM

I use Mr Buddy heaters when needed. Quiet, no scent. The older I get I want to be able to enjoy hunting longer and being comfortable.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
I use Mr Buddy heaters when needed. Quiet, no scent. The older I get I want to be able to enjoy hunting longer and being comfortable.

mine has a slight smell

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 02:44 AM

Thank you, Jimbo. In the last thirteen years, I've heard some good ones! I think my dad might have another year or two, but he is sitting this one out because my mom is dying. I moved them out here back then, to keep an eye on them. My mom is going to is pass within the next couple of days. This probably sounds a bit clinical, but I write this with a heavy heart.

Two quotes stick with me at this moment. My uncle was settling in for a nap in a front bedroom; my house is all windows for a complete view of the ranch, I walked in and started to close the blinds to make it darker. He said, "No, no, leave them open. I want to go out looking at paradise." I sleep with the blinds open.

My dad, "I have never regretted and barely remember a shot not taken, but I do regret and will always remember those shots that should not have been taken."

Another thing that I miss is the food these two old geezers brought. I'm not there yet, but I need to be. Some of the best sandwiches I've eaten in my life have been in a blind before sunrise. Heaters, food, wisecracks; a lot of hardcore hunters are missing out on a better experience. I'm hard as most, spent the night in both a chain on and a box tower because I felt that my walk in was causing problems and the route couldn't be adjusted. Both freezing nights. A bunch of other stuff that wasn't fun either, I'm good, strike a match to that heater!

Prayers to you and yours Ranch Dog.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 03:04 AM

If its cold, buddy heater is on, and I don't care what the temp is, if I'm cold, BOOM, heater is ON!!!!!!

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 11:27 AM

Thank you llbts.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 11:46 AM

I also have a Sportcat NIB in case my original ever fails. The Sportcat produces 1500 BTU for 15 hours on a lb of propane (my experience is 16 hrs). It is less BTUs than the Buddy, but I've found it ideal for a blind or a tent, but unfortunately, Coleman doesn't make them anymore. They are pretty easy to find still. I've used it in a tent many times when it was below freezing and down to 19°. On that day, I was hunting in East Texas, and I went ahead and carried it up on my chain on and placed it under me, draped an Army surplus wool blanket over me and sat all day snug as a bug.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 01:12 PM

This is a big X2
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: llbts1

x2. Sorry to hrar about Mom, Ranch dog

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: llbts1

angel

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide

mine has a slight smell

X2 on smell and makes a tiny bit of noise, especially when I accidentally kick it hammer
Posted By: CaveManRancher

Re: Heaters in the Stand - 12/12/17 06:54 PM

I guide hunts and take a heater anytime the temp is cold......I do it for the hunter of course............
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum