Texas Hunting Forum

Special Late Season

Posted By: buck-snort

Special Late Season - 11/30/17 10:44 PM

Anyone have a link that explains the special late season for Whitetail deer? I can't seem to find one. Thanks

Special Late Season North zone: Jan. 2 - 15, 2017 South zone: Jan. 16 - 29, 2017
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Special Late Season - 11/30/17 10:48 PM

Believe it is a doe and spike season.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Special Late Season - 11/30/17 10:52 PM

Special Late Season: During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point.

In other words, any deer without antlers and any deer with a spike on one or both sides.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Special Late Season - 11/30/17 10:53 PM

We not got one here but we did get a muzzle loader season! BOYA
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Special Late Season - 12/01/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Special Late Season: During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point.

In other words, any deer without antlers and any deer with a spike on one or both sides.

I don't believe that is correct. In general season in an Antler Restriction county a deer with a spike on one side and branched on the other is legal, but in the late season I believe it has to be a true spike or unbranched on both sides.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Special Late Season - 12/01/17 11:15 PM

Tpwd changed the AR county special late season regulations from must be a true spike to at least one unbranched antler last year or the year before.

Reading the outdoor annual or tpwd website every year comes in handy, sometimes.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Special Late Season - 12/02/17 01:05 PM

Rustler's right, they "renamed" the late season last year in an attempt, I guess, to "clarify" things.

To muddy things up, the spike below had a 3/4" "point." Suppose that that point was 1-1/8 inches... Would that make it a "branched" antler?? confused2

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Special Late Season - 12/02/17 01:57 PM

Yes, a point is defined as extending more than an inch from main beam or other tine.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Special Late Season - 12/04/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I don't believe that is correct. In general season in an Antler Restriction county a deer with a spike on one side and branched on the other is legal, but in the late season I believe it has to be a true spike or unbranched on both sides.

TPWD changed that this year, just has to have a spike on one side for late season now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum