Texas Hunting Forum

Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them?

Posted By: GPS

Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/28/17 11:44 PM

I’d like to know if anyone has gathered acorns from their front yard and used them later in the season and bait. I'd be interested in knowing how it went for you and what did you do with the acorns before you used them as bait. Do you need to store them in any special way (Let the squirrel comments begin)?

When you use them as bait or an attractant do you just use the acorns by themselves or do you mix them with anything?

How's it worked for you? Did it attract deer later in the season?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/28/17 11:51 PM

I gave it a shot since I had a bag full of white oak acorns given to me. The rancher’s sheep loved them.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/28/17 11:52 PM

If deer are hitting your feeder they will continue to hit it. If not, throwing a 50 lb sack of acorns isn't going to make a difference.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/28/17 11:58 PM

So I haven't done anything at this time. I'm just looking for feedback and insight on the concept. Sneaky, that's not the answer I'm looking for!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 12:03 AM

Every year I have about 300 pounds of Burr Oaks to get rid of so I take them to the lease to use as pig bait. I have only seen a deer pick up one and eat it once but the pigs will pig out on them. I just throw them on the ground with no additives. If there is plenty of other natural stuff in the area to eat they wont pay them much attention. If most of the other food sources are drying up they will flock to them.
Posted By: 045ACP

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 12:07 AM

I bring out acorns if they are available as deer prefer them anyway. I put them out before the feeder goes off. If you make nice rows with them, the deer will walk back and forth, presenting perfect profile shots if you are inclined.

We only see acorns at my least maybe every three years, so it's a treat for them.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 12:46 AM

I tried it for several years.... Nothing touched them inside the feed pen but within a couple days all of them outside the pen were gone.

I tried it multiple times also..
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: GPS
So I haven't done anything at this time. I'm just looking for feedback and insight on the concept. Sneaky, that's not the answer I'm looking for!

I hear ya. It wasn’t the answer I was looking for, either. grin
Posted By: bp3

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 02:24 AM

Bet the corn buzzards will like them
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 03:41 AM

I just throw out a bag of Acorn Rage and the deer seem to love the stuff.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 04:01 PM

My wife's uncle did it for years with very good results. He had a huge white oak in his front yard that produced a ton of acorns. He had a certain spot in his food plot where he would pour them out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 04:55 PM

Yes, great past time activity for my kids
Posted By: PMK

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 05:00 PM

never tried acorns but used to use pears that had fallen off the tree or had bad spots in them. Deer went absolute bonkers when we dumped those out.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/29/17 05:06 PM

Used a big bag of them a couple years ago and they loved them. They were gone in a day
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 11/30/17 05:40 PM

I fill a 5 gallon bucket each year and throw them all over my feed zone. Don't really know how much it helps but I scatter them all over where corn don't go.
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/01/17 12:06 AM

I've been thinking about trying this with pecans since I have a yardful of them. Don't know if deer will eat them but figure the hogs will.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/01/17 01:34 AM

Always
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/01/17 01:38 AM

That sounds like too much work. The acorns are so thick in Young county this year, my youngest son slipped on them and fell in the tank a few weeks ago.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/19/17 03:00 PM

Used to pick them up and take to lease....It works!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/19/17 03:22 PM

I have tried using my red oak tree acorns out of the backyard to no avail.
Posted By: spro

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/19/17 04:57 PM

Been doing it for 3 years. I use mostly get the large acorns from red oaks. 5 gallon bucket last 1 maybe two days. I have watched them fill there checks with them. When I put the acorns out they don't go near the corn. I works very great! Get you one of those rolling wire nut gatherers from just about any hardware store for about $30. Makes gathering much easier. I can gather a 5 gallon bucket in about 15 minutes.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Acorns from your front yard - anyone use them? - 12/19/17 07:12 PM

I took probably 20 gallons out to the lease. The deer and hogs love them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum