Texas Hunting Forum

Young Co. Hunters

Posted By: n_rut

Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 02:06 AM

I'm in the Murray area and not seeing much. Lots of acorns on the ground and corn from 1-2 throws under every feeder. No pics of ANY mature deer since October. What's everyone in the area seeing or NOT seeing? Just curious how the season is going for everyone. Thanks
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 02:18 AM

Similar things n-rut, out in Murray close to you. Did pass a shot last Sunday on a decent 10, maybe 130" or so. Seen him and a spike so far in 2 days of hunting. Still no great indication of rut.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 02:58 AM

Our land is split between thick cover and semi open land. The guys hunting in the thick cover who usually have the most deer and nice bucks are not seeing much activity during hunting hours and their cameras are not showing much either. My stand is 1/2 mesquite fields and the other half has some brush cover of which is where my feeder is located. This has been an odd year because I am seeing the most traffic during hunting hours and my camera is showing more bucks. A lot of nice young buck and plenty of doe! A few good bucks but nothing spectacular. My area I have been seeing bucks chasing does for a few weeks. Nothing I want to pull the trigger on yet but it sure is fun watching all the action. Like I said there is a great group of youngins this year, by far better than the past. Here is one of the prettier bucks that showed up at my feeder, he is on the right of the photo.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 03:10 AM

Pink good looking 3-4 yo old buck in that pic.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Pink good looking 3-4 yo old buck in that pic.
Ditto cheers
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 12:23 PM

cheers
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 02:20 PM

In the South Bend/Eliasville area, deer disappeared about 3 weeks before season. Went from big buck parties at my protein feeder every day to cows becoming destructive parties. No activity this past weekend at all...not even pigs.
Posted By: Ghost-cfd

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 04:25 PM

I️m out by Newcastle. Deer are definitely still eating acorns mainly. They hit the feeders occasionally. Been hunting a tripod more than my stand.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ghost-cfd
I️m out by Newcastle. Deer are definitely still eating acorns mainly. They hit the feeders occasionally. Been hunting a tripod more than my stand.

Where you at out by newcastle? I hunt along hwy 61 out there.

I haven't been out much this year so far, but overtime we have been out we have seen some decent deer. No booners, but there was a nice 10 pt buck I would have loved my daughter to shoot on youth weekend. Went out the next weekend with my son and we had some deer but they were really late getting out due to the warm weather. The next time we went out we had mainly lone bucks moving quickly through and the doe were all but absent. Haven't been out since. Going in a couple weeks hoping to catch a second rut.

Usually where we hunt the later season is gold as the wheat is up and the doe are preggo and need food. We usually don't see many bucks on this spot but we saw more this year so far than last year.
Posted By: Ghost-cfd

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/27/17 10:42 PM

I️ Hunt off of HWY 380 and Wells West. There’s a lot of deer hitting the wheat now too. I️ saw a decent eight chasing a doe pretty hard out in the wheat yesterday.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/28/17 02:45 PM

I'm just west of Newcastle, close to the river. Seeing a lot of deer movement, I've passed on a couple nice younger deer. I haven't seen anything I would say were mature shooters. A lot of spikes and young bucks. Yesterday and this morning are the first signs of rut activity to date. I think it's getting ready to get good.
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/28/17 03:14 PM

We are just west of Newcastle as well. Seeing lots of nice young 8-10 pt bucks for next year. Rut seemed to be in full swing the week before Thanksgiving. Does and bucks were running around everywhere. Have a nice 10 and a nice 11 and some really nice 8's but they all need another year or two. Right after Thanksgiving, things really slowed down. Only saw activity in the morning. Will be back out there next weekend to chase cranes and hopefully get a deer down.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/28/17 03:40 PM

We are between Murray and Woodson and larger bucks are not showing up...........
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/28/17 08:54 PM

Here’s another nice young one that I hope makes to next year. Ive seen a few good ones like this
Posted By: n_rut

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/28/17 10:15 PM

Need a couple hard freezes to wipe out the acorns and kill any green browse at my place. 11th season on this place and have never seen the lack of deer movement as I have this year. Come on Arctic Cold Fronts!!!
Posted By: TX1120

Re: Young Co. Hunters - 11/29/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: n_rut
Need a couple hard freezes to wipe out the acorns and kill any green browse at my place. 11th season on this place and have never seen the lack of deer movement as I have this year. Come on Arctic Cold Fronts!!!

Same thing across the road from you. Everybody I’ve talked to around there is saying the same as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum