Texas Hunting Forum

Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :)

Posted By: kmartinusa

Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/24/17 02:17 PM

I’ve been a member for years, love this group. Like a giant campfire- but comes with thousands of years of cormbined experience.

I’m not sure that what I do is considered hunting, at least for deer. I guess I’m more of a deer watcher than hunter. I watch them with a rifle, ALWAYS with kids...I’m not shooting them, unless a follow up is needed...still contently waiting on that “big old toppy” as my South Africa born deer hunting machine Methodist pastor would say. Would sure help if that ONE neighbor would quit shooting all of the 4yr olds. Along with his dad, brothers, cousins...whatever. Whatever makes you happy, I guess. Just frustrating to let them walk and later see pictures of them proudly adding ANOTHER one, EVERY year. For what purpose? I have no idea. Can’t imagine that it’s fufilling every single year and they have got to be short on wall space. Wait, no they aren’t. Last years 4yr olds were euro mounts. This year or next they might have been booners. Just tragic to me but again- we all do this for our own reasons so I’ll keep watching I guess. Impossible to run an effective QDMA program with that ONE neighbor who’s whole family shoots them all during the rut. Or at least most of them.

Ok, that’s out.

Would some of you more experienced and knowledgeable take a minute and score this buck to the best of your ability? It’s for someone else and I haven’t a clue. Can add more pictures if you need them.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/25/17 02:36 PM

Nice chocolate horns. No expertise at all here. 131 3/8ths. grin

Yes, I hear you about folks shooting 13 inch deer at 3 yrs old and they have 15 deer on the wall.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/25/17 02:43 PM

congrats
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/25/17 02:51 PM

Posted By: Texican

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/25/17 06:47 PM

No expert but I suspect it scores higher than you think
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/25/17 10:35 PM

I'm going to say the main frame is 135-140. Beams curl in and are longer than you'd think. Mass will help make up for tine length, especially on the outer measurements. Width doesn't account for much in B/C anyway, so that doesn't hurt. Add all the trash (8-12"), and I think you've got a deer pushing upper 140s maybe even 150. My 2 cents...
From the looks of his beams, he might have been a main frame 12 next year. And who knows what those extra stickers would have looked like on a 6.5yr old deer. frown
All that being said, I doubt I could have held back on a free range deer like that either.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 04:01 PM

Mid 140s.........
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 04:13 PM

Low to mid 140s. I have him at a conservative 141.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 04:16 PM

Kmart - any update on score?
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 04:17 PM

I came up with 146.
84 base, 62 in tine length..
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 07:51 PM

Congrats to your buddy on a nice buck. Lot of mass but not great time height, mid to upper 140s
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Expert volunteer scorer wanted. :) - 11/28/17 09:09 PM

I agree with mid to upper 140s. Cool buck, lots of character. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum