Texas Hunting Forum

Deer seem to have vanished

Posted By: Cowboy9215

Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 02:31 AM

3 weekends we have seen 4 deer. Does haven’t even been hitting the feeders. Maybe once a week. Not a lot of real close neighboring shots either. Strange
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 02:51 AM

I was covered up in deer in hardeman county. Saw 10 bucks and 1 doe Sunday morning
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
I was covered up in deer in hardeman county. Saw 10 bucks and 1 doe Sunday morning

Because most of Hardeman is in the rut right now.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:23 AM

Take vacation or other time off and hunt during the middle of the week. And if you've using ATV's, leave them parked or on the truck and walk to you stand.

You can thank me later.

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:38 AM

Funny thing is dan. We quit using side by side 2 weeks ago. My FIL hunting yesterday and today. Seen nothing
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:47 AM

Where are you hunting? Have seen more see than ever where I am hunting. Sometimes 2 but sometimes 10 to 20. We had a hard freeze early though.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Take vacation or other time off and hunt during the middle of the week. And if you've using ATV's, leave them parked or on the truck and walk to you stand.

You can thank me later.

I agree with you on both counts. Over the years the difference has been undeniable. On balance, I see more deer and better deer by myself during the week than we all see on the weekends during our “family” hunts. Especially the mature bucks. They know what’s what with the 4 wheelers, folks talking, trucks coming and going, doors opening and closing, etc.

When I’m alone the only sign I’m there is my truck pulling in. After that, silence. Walk everywhere. Don’t even use a flashlight if there’s any moonlight at all. It makes all the difference in the world at my place because it is remote with little activity all year.

Other places it may not matter as much.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

You can thank me later.

I agree with you on both counts. Over the years the difference has been undeniable. On balance, I see more deer and better deer by myself during the week than we all see on the weekends during our “family” hunts. Especially the mature bucks. They know what’s what with the 4 wheelers, folks talking, trucks coming and going, doors opening and closing, etc.

When I’m alone the only sign I’m there is my truck pulling in. After that, silence. Walk everywhere. Don’t even use a flashlight if there’s any moonlight at all. It makes all the difference in the world at my place because it is remote with little activity all year.

There is pretty much activity on our place all week during hunting season and doesn't seem to make much difference when we hunt because of it. Prior to the "week day" hunters getting on, you could tell a difference when we would show up early. I have no doubt the added pressure and commotion changes the patterns.

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 04:20 AM

San augustine
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 06:08 AM

Yeah we are having deer stay away from the feeders and eating the acorns. But they did come out for a bag of Acorn Rage and Apple Crush for awhile. The rut is on and the Doe's are staying on the neighbors property that doesn't hunt lol. Hopefully they will be back out this Friday when I can get back out. Kind of wish I didn't pass up on some Doe's during archery season now. I really want this one mature buck with a wide spread that came back in the area again and a big bodied spike that comes out to the feeders a lot during the early afternoon. Hopefully I get something in the freezer this week.
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Cowboy9215
3 weekends we have seen 4 deer. Does haven’t even been hitting the feeders. Maybe once a week. Not a lot of real close neighboring shots either. Strange

Same where we hunt in Eastland Co. Most acorns we've seen out there. Only deer we see are passing by, they literally walk past the pile o corn under the feeder. Heck we don't even have hogs or racoons on camera

We know they're there on the edges and in the creeks because we have them on camera that we put on the trails, just nothing consistent and no rain in sight to take care of the acorns.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

You can thank me later.

^^^^^ This!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 06:15 PM

Quit 'hunting' feeders... peep
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Cowboy9215

Same at my place here in Leon County. They were everywhere the first two weeks of November. Seen the few handful of doe I've seen all season. Even the hogs have thinned out.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 08:10 PM

It's the rut. Does quit hitting feeders or are not making it to them cause they are getting chased there. Hunt the down wind side of where you think deer are bedding. You'll see bucks cruiseing. Also below south facing ridgeson a good north wind. Bucks will be scent checking anywhere deer go.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 08:10 PM

They are there. Just hitting other food sources or have other things on their mind!!! It's been slow in north east Texas too. I moved some cameras and know the deer are still there just staying under the oak trees eating!!!! Pigs keep coming though. That hasn't helped with the deer. Was able to shoot 6 this last weekend.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 10:23 PM

They're in freezers right now . . . whistle
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Deer seem to have vanished - 11/22/17 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
They're in freezers right now . . . whistle
More truth to this, in a lot of places, than some people know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum