Texas Hunting Forum

Quartered Deer on Ice - how long?

Posted By: RedSnake

Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:08 AM

How long can quartered deer be kept on ice?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:10 AM

A week easy, I've gone close to two but that is as much as I'd go.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:15 AM

Some say to keep draining the water off and add ice to the ice chest.

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Some say to keep draining the water off and add ice to the ice chest.

That is what I do.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:29 AM

Where is the backstrap?
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 12:50 AM

I don't go longer than a week.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 01:03 AM

Keep the meat from soaking. Bacteria grows faster with the moisture.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 01:32 AM

no more than four days for me constantly add ice every day and leave the plug off and slightly tilted so excess water drains off.

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Where is the backstrap?

Ha. Backstrap and tenders are in the cooler too
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 05:55 AM

I keep plug cracked and add ice everyday until it’s flowing clear. Then to processing. Normally about 4-5 days
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 01:31 PM

Elevate one side, open drain plug and add ice every day. I’ve gone a week

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 01:56 PM

I’m on day 6. Haven’t been draining but have dumped and changed ice every day — think I’m alright?

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 02:09 PM

Yes
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
I’m on day 6. Haven’t been draining but have dumped and changed ice every day — think I’m alright?

Everyday. your good. I will also put an old refrigerator rack to keep the meat off the bottom. Less discoloring and blood in the water like that.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 02:59 PM

Not sure about in a cooler with ice but my mule deer was just processed after hanging 13 days. He is tasty and tender, was pretty rutted up when I harvested him.
Our elk hung for 12 days . We do have a nice cold garage and very low humidity up here.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 03:20 PM

I keep the 1/4 deer on ice for at least 7 days. I layer of ice about 10" deep a commercial trash bag between the meat and ice. I drain the water every day, sometime more often and make every effort to keep the meat out of the water.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 10:14 PM

The debate goes on about deer meat being kept on ice, or ice and water. It is really a personal choice. What causes meat to spoil is the temp getting to high, not wheather or not the meat is in the water. The water does help if the game is blood shot. As long as your deer does not spoil, there is not a right or wrong to this.
Posted By: spg

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 11:15 PM

We just got a walk in cooler this year, going to see if it makes a difference. Usually do what most have already said, layer the bottom of the ice chest with ice, throw the meat in, cover with ice, leave the drain open, add ice every day for about 5 days.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/17/17 11:36 PM

I go up to 2 weeks on ice, on a rack out of the water.
Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 01:26 AM

On ice is what I've always done, but I'm not sure why. I wouldn't dream of going to the store, buying a couple of slabs of ribs, several roasts, a whole prime rib and a whole loin, unwrapping them and throwing them into an ice chest soaking in water for several days.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: furfinrfeather
On ice is what I've always done, but I'm not sure why. I wouldn't dream of going to the store, buying a couple of slabs of ribs, several roasts, a whole prime rib and a whole loin, unwrapping them and throwing them into an ice chest soaking in water for several days.

What you buy at the store has already been aged some. Fresh deer meat needs to be aged before processing and frozen for storage. Not everyone has a walk in cooler to hang the meat, so use the ice chest with ice.

I keep mine on ice from 1 to 2 weeks.

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 04:14 AM

That meat has been aged a couple weeks before it hits your fridge.

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 05:00 AM

Guys.... he's talking about leaving it under water.....

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

I haven't seen a single person say they soak their meat underwater.
Posted By: Spooks

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 08:07 PM

A quality cooler and not letting the meat sit in melted water. A week or more if you keep it dry.

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/18/17 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

I haven't seen a single person say they soak their meat underwater.

I'm not the smartest guy on the forum but.... you really need to reread this thread sir.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Quartered Deer on Ice - how long? - 11/19/17 02:25 PM

Depends on if your pressed for time? usually went we get home from hunt on sundays, not retired yet, i wait 2 day of quartered meat cooling and bleeding out in ice. keep in shed or garage out of sun! 3rd i start deboning all meat, keep separte in dish pans or clean containers in fridge. Backstraps, tenders, or other good cuts all get wrapped label freeze those.
All other cuts, meat from neck bones some ribs if its a big deer, other small cuts all go in one container to grind. Thats usually day 3 or day 4.
Then wife and I if its cool that day or night grinding begins.

All i all, i find by leaving the set in the blood water release some of gaming flavor if you call it, i dont taste it, then again i dont drive out town showing off my kill in 83 deg wx like some kids do today!

After doing it for over 35 years its second nature!

hunt safe...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum