Texas Hunting Forum

Deer crossing water

Posted By: steve_twice

Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 04:21 AM

I know deer can swim ... but will they regularly cross a river to get to a food source, etc? We're on the Clear Fork of the Brazos, and I'm mapping out placement for a couple of blinds. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 04:23 AM

Idk, but I've got a picture of deer swimming across lake LBJ which isn't a small body of water by any means. If they want something on the other side they will go for it.
Posted By: warrington

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 04:39 AM

Where at on the clear fork

They doncross it if it's shallow
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 05:44 AM

Deer will cross the Lower Laguna Madre to get to SPI I've heard.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 05:51 AM

They will swim a mile or more to get to the islands up here. I would not put it past them honestly.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 07:39 AM

If a deer wants to go somewhere and swimming is involved they will. Some of the islands in the Mississippi River flood completely during high water and they swim the Mississippi then swim back when they want to go back to the islands. I have killed quite a few at creek and river crossing locations some of which they had to swim to cross.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: steve_twice
I know deer can swim ... but will they regularly cross a river to get to a food source, etc? We're on the Clear Fork of the Brazos, and I'm mapping out placement for a couple of blinds. Thanks in advance.

Yes, without hesitation. Part of their daily routine around the clear fork.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 01:38 PM

I have seen one swim across a big cove on Sam Rayburn and my dad has seen one swimming across an even bigger cove in Toledo
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 01:48 PM

I watched a doe swim about a mile or more across Lake Amistad on a very cold December morning many years ago. I was bow hunting and had stalked her and had her "trapped" on a narrow point. When she first ran into the water I was thinking she would swim out and turn down the bank and loop back to my side of the lake. A front had blown in and it was cold and windy so Amistad was looking not so friendly. She jumped in and started swimming straight toward the other side of the lake. I didn't think she would make it due to the whitecaps...but I could not have been more wrong. It probably took her a good 20-30 minutes. I just kept watching and thinking she would just disappear into the water, but eventually she climbed the bank across the lake stopped briefly for a good shake to shed some water, and then walked over the ridge and out of sight.

So not only can they swim, but they are phenomenal swimmers.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 01:52 PM

We see them cross the Rio Grande, the Bosque and the Brazos during the local area rut.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 01:58 PM

Absolutely. Have seen deer swim incredible distances. Followed a spotted fawn in my bass boat for probably 1/3 mile once to make sure the little one did not get run over by another boat (busy large lake). Have seen them swim 3/4 mile to some islands out in Kerr Lake (Oklahoma).

Edit: After looking at Clear Fork on Google Maps, it wouldn’t even slow a deer down.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 02:28 PM

Like anything can they swim? Sure, just like they can jump a fence, but in my experience a deer will go around or under rather than jump and I would bet if they don't have a good reason to jump in a river they probably would rather stay on the side they are on.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 02:42 PM

I had several deer last year that would swim a stock pond to the feeder when walking around wouldn't have been difficult. The first time I saw the deer on that side I couldn't figure out how the heck they got there without me seeing them. Then the next morning I watched them cross the water and several more times after that.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/16/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: steve_twice

Yes, without hesitation. Part of their daily routine around the clear fork.
Yes they will swim to reach food sources.

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/17/17 12:46 AM

We're close to Eliasville.

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/17/17 10:46 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer crossing water - 11/18/17 01:24 AM

When I was in my early teens, my Dad and I saw a deer swimming across Cedar creek lake. Used to see deer all the time there when we had a house at Log cabin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum