Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plots in Pineywoods

Posted By: brian43

Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/14/17 04:22 AM

Does anybody have Food Plots in North Region(Nacogdoches,Shelby,Panola,San Augustine County) of the Pineywoods?How successful are they?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/14/17 05:51 AM

I've had very good success with food plots in Houston County once the acorns are gone. It all depends on the weather, both to produce acorns and grow your plots. Ironically, some of the best years are when limited rain in the spring and summer resulted in poor acorn crops, which made the deer start hitting the Fall plots earlier than usual.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/14/17 03:45 PM

I'm in Smith County, just North of Tyler and the deer seem to like my food plot. It's a mix of several brands that I bought at Atwoods. I don't know which is best, I just spread three different brands over the area and they all seem to do the same thing.

I also really like Deer Cane Black Magic. Somebody recommended it here a couple years ago and it's proven to be the very first thing the deer go to. I put it in the middle of my food plot, and over the last couple of years, they have wore that area into a depression, which is good, because standing water and mud makes it even better. I spread it out over a 4x4 area every three months, and they just keep coming back to it every night. The link is to Amazon, which is overpriced right now. I just paid $8 for it from them before the season opened, but once deer season starts, they jack up the price. Shop around.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolved-24502-Co-Cain-BlackMagic-4-5-Pounds/dp/B0049AKDM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510673744&sr=8-1&keywords=black+magic+deer+attractant&dpID=51JyEUr%252BGeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This year I'm trying the Redneck Feeder. I have several spin type feeders that work, but once the hogs show up, the deer disappear. I've tried fencing them in, but that scared off the deer and then only the racoons, squirrels and birds eat the corn. I put this in my food plot on a T Post close to the Black Magic, and it's working great. I get a few hogs that come by to clean up any corn that the deer drop, but they don't stick around and the deer keep coming back to it. I'm also using a lot less corn because the deer do not eat it all up like the hogs do. They just eat a little, then move on to the food plot and the Black Magic. In my opinion, this is the best thing for corn that I've come across!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Redneck-Outdoors-...&dpSrc=srch

Posted By: brian43

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/14/17 08:50 PM

Hogs don't root up your food plot?
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/14/17 09:45 PM

Nope, but they are tearing up everything else!!!! Hogs are looking for grubs, the flood plot is disked and planted twice a year. I don't think I get a good population of grubs when doing that. In the last dozen years, I've never had any problem with the rooting the food plot.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/15/17 05:26 PM

I plant food plots in Harrison County and the deer come out and feed in them a lot. They are very successful as another type of food source once the acorns are done dropping and it provides another option other than corn. I would highly recommend it. What I plant is a mix of rye, oat, clover, and chicory. I buy the 50lb bags from my local feed store. I can't remember the brand of it.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/15/17 05:31 PM

I am a fan.
Posted By: Paydirt

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/16/17 12:03 AM

I did a few in San Augustine County. Turned out pretty good. Lots of lime and fertilizer. Planted turnips, radishes, rape, kale and oats in one and clover and oats in another area. Planted a little early and the drought caught me after planting but the turnips and radishes are doing really well.

Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/16/17 01:50 AM

I have been hunting food plots in nac county for awhile and I have had a lot of deer pass up food plots and go to corn but occasionally I have deer that dont look at the corn and just eat the food plots. I keep using food plots but do I think they make a huge difference iin killing deer in my area? No.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Food Plots in Pineywoods - 11/16/17 03:07 AM

I helped paydirt put his food plots in- last spring they thinned those areas so they went from standing pine to what you see in less than six months. We put in a lot of work clearing the areas, discing, liming, planting, and fertilizing but they turned out looking good. I have put food plots in on the same lease in San Augustine county the last three years and Nacogdoches county the last four or five. Lime is the first step for east Texas but after that there are lots of options. I lean towards iron and clay cowpeas in the spring and Buck Forage oats in the fall.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum