Texas Hunting Forum

13 inches, or no?

Posted By: Rob M

13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 04:26 PM

Think this guy is super close. Really wanna cull him due to no brow tines. Looks kinda old too.
Posted By: Bcap

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 04:28 PM

I'm gonna say no
Posted By: nosler28

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 04:32 PM

agreed, i think hes in that 12-12.5" range
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 04:37 PM

Whoa, Now that one is close! His age makes it look like he should be 14" ear tip to ear tip and his antlers are still inside. Might be right at 13 i'd pass.

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 04:52 PM

I know it's closer than I'd like to gamble with, but he's one of about three bucks I have without brow tines. Really wanna get his genes out of he pool.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:00 PM

Mount a metal bar on the legs of your feeder that is 13 inches long. This will help you make a decision. Eventually he will line up on camera or in person to let you compare to make a better decision.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:02 PM

That's the problem with ar counties. Can't cull stuff that needs to go.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:10 PM

Show the pics to your game warden and get his feedback. Deer is mature, for sure. Or put the crosshairs right here and he'll make ARs.

Posted By: Stub

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:11 PM

Unfortunately does not appear so, he needs to disapear somehow.
Had one like that and I watched him for 3 pain staking years before he was finally legal then bam rifle No Mas up

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:15 PM

I doubt the warden will agree to let me take an illegal buck. He lives less than a mile down the road, and I'd rather not even give him a reason to stop by my place to check. I'll just tough it out and let him walk. Maybe a car will hit him.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:29 PM

He got a big head and ears so I think he does by a hair. He needs a dirt nap!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Show the pics to your game warden and get his feedback. Deer is mature, for sure. Or put the crosshairs right here and he'll make ARs.

I say yes, apply this^^^ logic for safety and blast him. he sure looks mature/post mature to me.

That said have you ever laid eyes on him? If I was a betting man, id say will never have the chance to make the call.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:53 PM

Probably not
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 05:59 PM

No, and his G1's might be broken off from fighting...
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob M
I doubt the warden will agree to let me take an illegal buck. He lives less than a mile down the road, and I'd rather not even give him a reason to stop by my place to check. I'll just tough it out and let him walk. Maybe a car will hit him.

Even if he did it wouldn't matter. I'd guess you would have to travel with that deer into another county, drop it off at the processor, etc. plenty of chances for a different game warden to see the deer. Not worth it.

And I don't think he's 13"
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Even if he did it wouldn't matter. I'd guess you would have to travel with that deer into another county, drop it off at the processor, etc. plenty of chances for a different game warden to see the deer. Not worth it.

You know you don't have to take deer to a processor right? I wouldn't know the first thing about taking a deer to a processor, never have.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Bcap
I'm gonna say no

Not worth the risk ........ 2cents
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 07:29 PM

That's one lucky deer. He may get to live to be an old man. I don't think he makes it.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 07:56 PM

I'd say 12 - 12.5. If you want a better idea measure the diameter of the feeder barrel from outside leg brackets and then measure inside spread in the pic and plot it on the barrel in the pic and interpolate using the actual barrel measurement.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 08:54 PM

Last year I had a deer with almost identical set up in my crosshairs and decided to pass. Too close and I let him go. Haven't seen him on cams again, so someone else may have risked it, but not worth the risk to me.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 08:55 PM

I'm gonna say no
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 08:57 PM

I'm gonna say no
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 09:00 PM

I'm gonna say no...simply because it's too close to call...which means no.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 09:35 PM

no
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/10/17 09:38 PM

I would shoot him
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 01:51 AM

I think a game warden will write you a ticket and take the deer if you shoot it
Posted By: yotehater

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 03:03 AM

It almost looks like one of those scraggy stuffed decoys the GW uses to catch road shooters. Blasting his skull would be a mercy killing.
Posted By: rickym

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 03:35 AM

Hard to say, at the age of that deer he probably has an "ear spread" of around 14-15" and not 13". But you know your deer better and only you can make the call
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Mount a metal bar on the legs of your feeder that is 13 inches long. This will help you make a decision. Eventually he will line up on camera or in person to let you compare to make a better decision.

That is actually a pretty good suggestion.

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 02:33 PM

If this were at my lease I'd be all for shooting it, but it's in the pasture behind my house that I bow hunt. I'm gonna let him walk until I see him in person.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 07:07 PM

Yall are crazy. That deer is beyond the 13" mark. I'd shoot him all day on Sat and twice on Sun!!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Yall are crazy. That deer is beyond the 13" mark. I'd shoot him all day on Sat and twice on Sun!!!

Sign here, press hard, three copies...... 2cents
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 08:59 PM

Not legal.

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/11/17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy

Haha if he shows in the morning I'll let you know.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/12/17 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

You know you don't have to take deer to a processor right? I wouldn't know the first thing about taking a deer to a processor, never have.

I process my own too. Most guys don't. Either way, you still have to get it home.
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/12/17 03:11 AM

shooter

Re: 13 inches, or no? - 11/12/17 03:31 PM

I don't know if my first pic was a weird angle, but this pick from last night looks like he's more than legal. Looks like Mr. Cull is gonna take a dirt nap.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum