Texas Hunting Forum

Which One?

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Which One? - 11/09/17 03:20 AM

Which one of these would you shoot if they all happened to come out at the same time? Also, interested to know if there are any you would not shoot and why.

Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 03:40 AM

The second one looks the oldest. The angle of the first one may be playing tricks on me, but he looks youngest. I am going to say 2 is certainly old enough that he would be a management buck with a target on his back at my place. He is as good as he is going to get. I think 3 is also at least 4 and being an 8 or 9 point, I would put a target him as well. 1 gets a pass this year.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 03:43 AM

Whichever you see first. Don't live with regrets.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
The second one looks the oldest. The angle of the first one may be playing tricks on me, but he looks youngest. I am going to say 2 is certainly old enough that he would be a management buck with a target on his back at my place. He is as good as he is going to get. I think 3 is also at least 4 and being an 8 or 9 point, I would put a target him as well. 1 gets a pass this year.

Ditto
Posted By: Stub

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 12:00 PM

Out of the 3, I would take the 2nd buck also, good luck up
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 12:37 PM

Wouldn’t shoot any of them. I’ve got plenty on the wall and I’ll shoot a doe if the meat is needed. They’ll never be mature if you shoot them now. If you look back on 2010, 2011 and 2012 most of Texas was in a hard drought. Fawn recruitment was extremely low. Fast forward, 7, 6 and 5 years respectively and you will find very few 5, 6 and 7 year old bucks. 2013 fawns are 4.5 years old this year, so if you settle on shooting those bucks your going to be killing out the majority of your oldest age class and slow the progress of getting a mature age structure back into your deer. Next couple of years would be a fantastic time for people to concentrate on removing inferior genetics instead of shooting the best of the 3.5 and 4.5 year old age class.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 338ultra
Wouldn’t shoot any of them. I’ve got plenty on the wall and I’ll shoot a doe if the meat is needed. They’ll never be mature if you shoot them now. If you look back on 2010, 2011 and 2012 most of Texas was in a hard drought. Fawn recruitment was extremely low. Fast forward, 7, 6 and 5 years respectively and you will find very few 5, 6 and 7 year old bucks. 2013 fawns are 4.5 years old this year, so if you settle on shooting those bucks your going to be killing out the majority of your oldest age class and slow the progress of getting a mature age structure back into your deer. Next couple of years would be a fantastic time for people to concentrate on removing inferior genetics instead of shooting the best of the 3.5 and 4.5 year old age class.

How old you think the middle buck is?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

X2
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: 338ultra

How old you think the middle buck is?

From that one picture I would put him at 4.5 years old.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Which One? - 11/09/17 06:32 PM

#1 is young give him some time. #2 and #3 look old enough to me but #2 would be my pick.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Which One? - 11/10/17 03:02 AM

take the 2nd one.
Posted By: Bcap

Re: Which One? - 11/10/17 03:33 AM

Management hunting I'm taking the second deer all day long. I agree 4.5-5.5 and I just don't see that deer getting much bigger and out of the three I don't want him breeding!
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Which One? - 11/10/17 06:23 PM

None unless your going to mount one of those.....I'd wait for bigger and more mature deer. The big boys don't move till it gets cold. Look how green it is out there....my guess if these are the dumb ones. You just got to wait till it browns up and those old boys are hungry enough to come to corn in my opinion
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Which One? - 11/10/17 09:34 PM

Neither one. Need some more age on em
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum