Texas Hunting Forum

thoughts on age

Posted By: Capt.JVH

thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:25 PM

Hey guys, I am having trouble figuring out the age on this guy. He's a frequent flyer this year. I had him at 30 yards while bow hunting a few weeks back and I just couldn't decide if he should get more time or not so I let him walk.
I have never asked for age advice before but I could use some here. Thank you in advance. John

Posted By: fouzman

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:30 PM

Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:30 PM

4.5 is my guess. Good deer.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Posted By: titan2232

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:32 PM

My 1st thought as well
Posted By: hook_n_line

Posted By: Branden

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:33 PM

yeah I was on the fence with either 3.5 or 4.5. Hope to see what he looks like next year. He made a big jump this season.

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:34 PM

and thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: Wacm

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:37 PM

He's to full for 3.5

He's 4 or 5 in my book. 2more years and he will be amazing

Look at his back end..that is not a 3 year old buck...especially if this is in Lomeeta
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
He's to full for 3.5

He's 4 or 5 in my book. 2more years and he will be amazing

Look at his back end..that is not a 3 year old buck...especially if this is in Lomeeta

I hunt in Mills, and we have 3.5s that look like that. Also some 4.5s. I'd say it's about 50-50 but I don't know your particular deer. Usually for us they don't go over 8pts until 4.5 or older. I don't think he's older than 4.5. He'd get a pass at our place.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 09:10 PM

I wouldn't let point count determine how old I thought a deer was. I know genetics vary from area to area but we have seen more than a handful of 2 year olds with 10+ points.

I wouldn't want to make the call to pass or not on those phots. Not all deer looks the same, and to me deer that live in areas with good agricultural groceries and protein feed look different than ones who don't. Wouldn't be surprised to know he is middle aged mature or older. He sure sits down on his hooves a lot and has a sloped rump.

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 09:37 PM

This is all very good info guys, thanks! And yes this is in Lampasas County. He has plenty of groceries to eat. My place is an old pecan farm. I don't harvest about 100 trees a year and let the deer have at them along with the acorns food plots and protein.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 09:41 PM

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I wouldn't let point count determine how old I thought a deer was. I know genetics vary from area to area but we have seen more than a handful of 2 year olds with 10+ points.

I wouldn't want to make the call to pass or not on those phots. Not all deer looks the same, and to me deer that live in areas with good agricultural groceries and protein feed look different than ones who don't. Wouldn't be surprised to know he is middle aged mature or older. He sure sits down on his hooves a lot and has a sloped rump.

I never said it did, I said we have 3.5s and 4.5s that both look like that (gut, neck, back, legs). So those being a given, I moved on to the other point, what are the antler genetics and when do they appear? I know our genetics-do you know yours? We have three main genetic lines for bucks at our place. The two most predominant lines typically have 8 points at 3.5 years of age, with more points appearing at 4.5 and older. We do have one line that will have as many as 13 at 2.5, but the conformity is typical from offspring to offspring, with kickers in the same spots. If the third line is difficult to age by body confirmation, the antlers give another data point because they gain notable mass and some length with each age progression, if not points.

Back to the deer at hand, I see what you are saying about his hooves and rump. Weirdly, he almost looks a little poor, but it's too early to be rutted down. After reading one of the good articles posted on here a while back about aging, nothing would surprise me. He could be 3.5, he could be 6.5.

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 09:59 PM

In regards to genetic lines, this guy is an anomaly here. We have two types normally, wide, thin horned 8 point mature bucks and tall racks with long brows. This guy came from somewhere else. so to compare him to past deer is not possible. Regardless, its genetics I want so he is safe. Honestly, he's pretty dumb. I just hope he doesn't get hit by a car or shot by a road hunter somewhere while he's rutting.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 10:07 PM

I don't think we can begin to put a number on the genetic lines unless that number is one, Heinz 57 unless its HF and it all came from a known number etc.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 10:21 PM

He looks 5 to me. Shrunken forehead, knock kneed, big racehorse like body. Just my thpughts.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 10:58 PM

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: thoughts on age - 11/08/17 11:19 PM

4-5
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum