Texas Hunting Forum

Any Good Rut Sign

Posted By: DQ Kid

Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 01:11 AM

Seen this weekend and in what county??
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 01:28 PM

DQ, was in Young county this Saturday evening with my daughter. Saw quite a few doe and younger bucks and a nice 10 my daughter wanted to shoot but never presented a good shot. None of the doe were wanting anything to do with the bucks, although the spikes and forks wanted to chase some doe. The big 10 was working his scrape line but there was no following or tending that I saw. I think next weekend should be really good if the weather cooperates. Might be too warm and everything might come out at night.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 01:32 PM

I tried rattling and using a doe estrus bleat call but the bucks didn’t even react to the rattles other than to look up. I think where I am at there are too many doe so there is very little competition and rattling doesn’t stir up anything.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 01:57 PM

It's supposed to be near 90 degrees opening weekend so that should really kick it off!
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 03:26 PM

I saw 3 different bucks swim several miles across Lake Fork last week. From the west bank to the mouth of Little Caney, all swimming the same line, 30 minutes apart. Wood County. Pretty wild!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 03:38 PM

I saw 38 deer on Saturday ( better than the 5 I saw opening weekend) and 70% of the does had a buck following. I watched 3 bucks work the same scrape and licking branch and saw many rubs walking in and out. Some sparring.. most deer were passing through and very few stopping for corn.. it's definitely pre rut in Coryell county.. probably another 2 weeks from now will be be full rut IMO. I won't miss the next big cold snap if it's anything like this past weekend.

Bigger, but fewer bucks in the mornings.. more deer in the afternoon but mostly saw 1-3 yo bucks.

3.5 yo 8 yesterday morning following 2 doe.

Posted By: papa45

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/30/17 04:44 PM

Not this weekend, but I saw two bucks chasing two does in southern Eastland County, two weeks ago. Seems a little early.
Posted By: Avian Assassins

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/31/17 03:20 PM

Found Multiple scrapes this Saturday, mid day while checking cameras. Put a camera up on one of them and freshened it up and made it a little larger. Hunted about 50-60 yards away from it sunday evening and decide to check the camera since I was right there. In 24 hours, I had 3 different bucks and 7 does come check it out. Pre rut is kicking off
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/31/17 03:28 PM

I was shooting late Sunday afternoon and had a young 8 point come out on the range chasing a doe. I was shooting over them at a target 600 yards away and they paid no attention to me or the shooting. Stuck around for 3 or 4 minutes and had 4 or 5 rounds go over their heads. Just goes to show that deer will get used to anything.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/31/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
I saw 38 deer on Saturday ( better than the 5 I saw opening weekend) and 70% of the does had a buck following. I watched 3 bucks work the same scrape and licking branch and saw many rubs walking in and out. Some sparring.. most deer were passing through and very few stopping for corn.. it's definitely pre rut in Coryell county.. probably another 2 weeks from now will be be full rut IMO. I won't miss the next big cold snap if it's anything like this past weekend.

Bigger, but fewer bucks in the mornings.. more deer in the afternoon but mostly saw 1-3 yo bucks.

3.5 yo 8 yesterday morning following 2 doe.

what part of Coryell are you in?
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/31/17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
Originally Posted By: Stevarino

what part of Coryell are you in?

NE of Evant
Posted By: LTC Realty

Re: Any Good Rut Sign - 10/31/17 03:46 PM

The buck I shot saturday was working scrapes and his tarsal glands were swollen and dripping. could smell the rut on him big time
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum