Texas Hunting Forum

Naming deer?

Posted By: finesse master

Naming deer? - 10/29/17 09:26 PM

Why is it every deer hunter has to name the deer they are chasing? seems crazy...
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 09:26 PM

Why is it you assume every deer hunter does it? I know lots who don’t.
Posted By: mow

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 09:27 PM

We have two that do on our lease..
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 09:42 PM

When there is multiple shooter bucks in your hunting area. It helps to name them. To help identify them when talking to your hunting buddies about them.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 09:55 PM

We prefer just calling the big main beam ten pointer that is about 20" wide, with a split left G2 with a kicker, and left side double brow tine, and a right side drop, and has a 12" right G3 with double kickers as "Bob", much easier.
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 10:18 PM

clap

Re: Naming deer? - 10/29/17 11:59 PM

how bout i saw a nice buck..it just adds to confusion..i only wish i had bucks to name..im jealous..lol
Posted By: Outfishdya

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 12:08 AM

I am hoping double drop Donnie shows up this weekend, if not, too tall Ted or extra wide Willy will work. I don't think Jane and Sue are primed yet, and Joe gets an extra year.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 12:13 AM

I’m hoping AWOL, Tardy & Ghost show up this year.

Instead, it’s just Pipsqueak, Pipsqueak Jr, Tiny & Milklips showing up regularly.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 12:19 AM

My grandsons named my buck from last year "Bobby". Then my wife told them his name was Bobby Three Shot because it took me 3 shots before I got him. In fairness, my scope based was lose vs. me being a bad shot.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
My grandsons named my buck from last year "Bobby". Then my wife told them his name was Bobby Three Shot because it took me 3 shots before I got him. In fairness, my scope based was lose vs. me being a bad shot.
roflmao
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 01:16 AM

Like said, we have different bucks so we use some silly names sometimes.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 01:16 AM

Nightrider is my arch nemesis! This is year 4 and I've still never laid eyes on him! Maybe one day.........

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: finesse master
Why is it every deer hunter has to name the deer they are chasing? seems crazy...

Crazy is saying that you are chasing a deer while sitting in a blind. grin
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 01:39 AM

Gotta be above average to get a name. The typical smalls don't get one. Last year we were chasing Chocolate Thunder, haven't named one this year.
Posted By: finesse master

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Gotta be above average to get a name. The typical smalls don't get one. Last year we were chasing Chocolate Thunder, haven't named one this year.

lol you were chasing a candy bar? moose
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance
When there is multiple shooter bucks in your hunting area. It helps to name them. To help identify them when talking to your hunting buddies about them.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 07:51 AM

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's "TINY" !
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 05:10 PM

It helps identify them. And I'll be honest, I have a weird habit of naming deer AFTER we take them. What can I say? I'm quirky. loco_too
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Naming deer? - 10/30/17 05:15 PM

We track deer from year to year as they progress, if you don't have the pictures of them in front of you naming them seem t work pretty good. We don't give them names like bobby, but we have had dagger, slanty 8, big 9, bent tine, etc. usually there is some trait that makes them stand out and that is what their name will be.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
We track deer from year to year as they progress, if you don't have the pictures of them in front of you naming them seem t work pretty good. We don't give them names like bobby, but we have had dagger, slanty 8, big 9, bent tine, etc. usually there is some trait that makes them stand out and that is what their name will be.

x2. We usually "name" them by an identifiable trait, common location, or a combination...

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 03:26 AM

We have three does named:
Nada
Squat
Diddly

When we say we saw Diddly Squat, that was at least two deer. To say you saw Nada, well...
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 03:47 AM

Deer Burger, Chili meat, Fried deer steak, Backstrap n' gravy. Those are the names we use, OH AND, Yummy,

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Trophytaker3
Deer Burger, Chili meat, Fried deer steak, Backstrap n' gravy. Those are the names we use, OH AND, Yummy,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ banana
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: finesse master

Crazy is saying that you are chasing a deer while sitting in a blind. grin
this
Posted By: tlk

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance

exactly - we have many deer we keep up with as they age year to year - a name simplifies which is which for all our lease members and helps prevent confusion. Instead of saying "that ten point with a kicker on his left G3" you simply refer to him by name- not a thing wrong with it that I can think of
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 12:48 PM

I think I understand the intent of the question. With mass comercialization of deer hunting these days it feels like naming big bucks falls in with the comercial catigory. I can honestly say that I get tired of hearing it too. The hunting video guys are the worst. By the time the guided, trailcamed, grown on a farm buck walks out it already feels fake and cheesy. Keepin it real is up to you and let the other folks relate the bucks they want or cant have take on titles. I have in the past refered to old hard to find bucks as old mossy nuts, old man or bastard, but I try not to cheese out on the buck names. I was calling them names, because I was more frutraded at them for being illusive and not naming and cirtifien them.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 02:14 PM

Well, this year we have:
Skippy...he's a little girlish and doesn't walk, he prances...
White Horns - his horns were snow white for a long time after he rubbed off the velvet.
Pizza - his horns are flat and shaped like a ring that you could sit a pizza pan on.
1-3 - has regular horn on one side with 3 points and a long single spike on other side.
Hoss - Big body 12pt that rules the feeders right now.
Hat Rack - We rarely see him but he's easy to identify - looks like he has a small tree growing on his head always gets to walk.
Venison - Nice big body 8pt that just showed up at feeder Sunday eve and is on ice as we speak!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 02:27 PM

I call this one “Wrong Hole”

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 02:43 PM

I can't remember naming them anything normal but we have called them thing's like Dad's buck, the funky buck, the crap buck, the oh $h!t buck, and there was the grandpa buck.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 03:24 PM

I can only recall one buck that we named, "Magic Buck", huge, mature 12 point. Everyone of us who saw him, including me, either missed or had a malfunction. In my case, I pulled the trigger and all I heard was click - he heard it too, was GONE!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 07:25 PM

It's a good problem to have when you have to start naming them.
Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 07:52 PM

We have a doe my dad named Lucy. Every year when we are clearing brush and filling feeders she will come out. We can be running chainsaws, etc. and she just walks right up to the feeder and starts to eat.
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
We prefer just calling the big main beam ten pointer that is about 20" wide, with a split left G2 with a kicker, and left side double brow tine, and a right side drop, and has a 12" right G3 with double kickers as "Bob", much easier.

roflmao clap
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Naming deer? - 10/31/17 09:22 PM

Yeah we don't have this kind of problem yet...." that 11-pt" or "the wide 9" only refers to 1 deer as of now
Posted By: tlk

Re: Naming deer? - 11/01/17 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
It's a good problem to have when you have to start naming them.

it is a good problem -
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Naming deer? - 11/01/17 04:43 PM

Back in the days when we were doing some outfitting, we would name a buck so that all the guides would know which deer we were talking about. When one of the "named" bucks matured and got on the hit list, he was usually very large antlered and commanded a lot of money.
I remember one of our hunters saying that he noticed when a buck had a name, he had a big price tag...I had to laugh!
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: HCGedge3

Re: Naming deer? - 11/02/17 03:10 AM

I don’t see anything wrong with it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum