Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plots and Bucks

Posted By: B Razorback

Food Plots and Bucks - 10/25/17 09:38 PM

I go to school in Arkansas and hunt public land that's an hour away so it's very hard to scout with school. The state has planted oats in multiple food plots around the WMA and I hunt out of a tree stand. So my question is, how do you hunt a food plot? Do you get the wind blowing into the field or do you want it at your face? I can't seem to find any trails whenever I go and it seems like the deer just appear out of no where. That leads me to my second question. Where the heck are the bucks? I've seen nothing but doe out there so far with zero sign of bucks. Surprisingly, the WMA I hunt does not have a lot of pressure. I've only seen 2 hunters out there in the past 2 weekends. Will the bucks start to emerge close to the rut or are they going to steer clear away from the food plots all season? This is all completely new to me and I can't seem to figure it out. A cold front is suppose to move in on Friday sending the temperatures below freezing, so hopefully the deer will be moving when I get out there! Thanks for the help on this one!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Food Plots and Bucks - 10/25/17 09:53 PM

My experience has always been that deer will walk into a food plot using just two or three trails that can be traced back to bedding areas. Sure, one may occasionally pop out from some other spot, but for the most part, you'll soon learn where they prefer to enter the plot.

No question, if the rut is on and you have doe coming into your plot, they may very well drag a buck with them. Heck, they may even drag one across the area behind your parked truck. Where that hot doe goes, they go. Thy eat very little during the chase phase of the rut because they only have one thing on their mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum