Texas Hunting Forum

Age a few

Posted By: KennyLee

Age a few - 10/24/17 06:47 AM

I'm 90% certain one of these bucks is at least 8 years old (I have pics going back 6 years and guessed him at 3 then, but may have been 2). Curious about the others.

Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 11:33 AM

I think the 2nd pic buck is 6yo and the other ones pretty much 4-5.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 11:45 AM

1st pic wide spread, second tall rack, good looking bucks, good luck up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 02:19 PM

We haven't heard much from you lately, Kenny. Welcome back. Pretty, Wise cty bucks. 2nd from last pic looks old, real old.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 02:34 PM

2nd pic looks to have a broken right rear ankle. Just noticed it was the same buck in the last pic as well.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 02:40 PM

Is picture 2 and the last picture (right side) the same deer?

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 02:43 PM

Tuff pictures to age by at least for me.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Looks like first 2 bucks are both in the last pic.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Age a few - 10/24/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Looks like first 2 bucks are both in the last pic.

Correct.

Wide buck is the old one. I think the one with the broken ankle might be just as old.

Wide buck was 4-5 inches wider 2 years ago, I could've taken him 5 years ago and let him walk. If broken ankle buck is same one I'm thinking, he used to have more tines.

As usual, always pics of them in October, but won't see them again until January.

Here's a closer look at the broken ankle buck:

Re: Age a few - 10/25/17 01:12 PM

We shot a buck last year that we guestimate being 8-9 years old, we saw him the past 3 years on camera and he finally slipped up and showed when we were there last year and my dad got him. His tooth wear was off the charts of all the ageing guides we have and he had lost a significant amount of body mass/weight since prior seasons.

Would love to see other pictures if you have them to share, we still don't know if the reason the one we had went down hill was because his teeth gave out or an injury or what.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Age a few - 10/26/17 10:23 PM

Body wise, I'd say 4 year old deer, but maybe a 5 year old taller one. The wide one is cute in the face and horns like a 3 year old, but has a beefy neck like a 4 year old. I have seen some bowed up 3 year olds on occasion. Can be rare in Tx. though. May be hittin the weight room.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum