Texas Hunting Forum

Rattling

Posted By: tailchaser93

Rattling - 10/19/17 09:52 PM

Well opening day is this weekend for our lease and I was thinking about doing some rattling. What kind ok rattling sequences do you guys use this time of year?
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Rattling - 10/19/17 11:10 PM

Not for sure where you are but in the. Concho Valley I would be aggressive. The mature bucks are lookin for some pleasure and they are pissed.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Rattling - 10/19/17 11:39 PM

Tickle the tine tips a couple times and be quiet...and ready. Wait 5 minutes and tickle them again, just a bit longer and louder. I've not hunted further north than SW San Saba Co., but I seldom get aggressive this early. I've never had much luck making a ruckus except during the peak of the rut and early post rut. From Pontotoc to Laredo. I know the deer rut earlier north and east, so I sure wouldn't discount rattling.

Note: I find vocalizations with and without rattling to be more effective, than hitting the horns, alone.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 12:21 AM

I'm with fouzman simulating sparring more than fighting this time of year. I have great luck with the grunt calls as well.

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 12:57 PM

Thanks for the tips I am hunting in Nacogdoches county
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 01:26 PM

A couple of years ago I wrote an article "Common Sense Rattling for Whitetails" in THE JOURNAL OF THE TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS. I think that I covered most questions that a hunter might have concerning rattling for whitetails.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tailchaser93
Well opening day is this weekend for our lease and I was thinking about doing some rattling. What kind ok rattling sequences do you guys use this time of year?

What season opens this weekend? Guessing you guys may be MLD and just elected to not start until this weekend? Not familiar with the area to speak to timing of the rut and when rattling would be effective.
Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
A couple of years ago I wrote an article "Common Sense Rattling for Whitetails" in THE JOURNAL OF THE TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS. I think that I covered most questions that a hunter might have concerning rattling for whitetails.
Adios,
Gary

Good stuff Gary. Thanks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 02:06 PM

IMO, any type of sound attraction works best when your setup includes the absence of cover on your downwind side. While young bucks may approach blindly from any direction, mature bucks will use cover to more safely scent check the source. In an ideal setup, your scent stream is carried into an open area behind you, allowing you to focus your attention into cover in front and upwind from you.

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 05:17 PM

Yes we are MLD
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Rattling - 10/20/17 08:48 PM

I have to agree about sparring. Been watching bucks this whole week doing that. By gun opener I'll be cracking the horns louder.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum