Texas Hunting Forum

Are whitetails afraid of Axis?

Posted By: postoak

Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 07:08 PM

I was watching a feeder and a young buck came out and acted very, very nervous. He actually ran away 3 times, each time coming back to the feeder. I thought maybe he sensed a larger buck in the nearby brush but when a larger buck finally did appear, he calmed down. I had heard Axis calling from the brush, too.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 07:22 PM

Have seen Axis run off WT's from a feeder on multiple locations. Seem to be quite a bit more aggressive than WT's
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 07:59 PM

Depends on the whitetail.

I've seen mature / in rut 10 pt WT drive off a big axis buck and several more axis.

They also co-exist a lot (at least the does).

But, more often than not, axis will run off whitetail. Axis are bigger and more dominant, generally speaking.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 08:23 PM

I've seen both species run off one another. Maybe whichever one you are hunting for that day will be run off so be ready.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 10:49 PM

They’re the “axis of evil” lol
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 11:12 PM

I've seen one group of whitetails run off another group of whitetails.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/09/17 11:46 PM

WT will generally yield to axis at a feeder. But I have never seen a fight between an axis and a WT.
I did watch an incredible throw-down between an sika and a WT. The WT had the upper hand, the sika was younger.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/10/17 12:49 AM

Not all deer are created equal. I believe it depends on "how big is the fight in the dog".
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: Are whitetails afraid of Axis? - 10/10/17 04:13 AM

I've watched axis push whitetail out before but no conflict. The whitetail just sorta scoot out. Most of the Axis I see travel in pretty big groups. That may have something to do with it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum