Texas Hunting Forum

Buck Chasing

Posted By: MWTX270

Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 05:06 PM

Has anyone ever seen a buck chasing this early in the year? I was in my archery stand in Young county this morning, and watched a nice 8 point, dog a doe for over 30 minutes Both had to be very tired, as they run and run. I personally, have never seen rut activity this early.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 07:15 PM

Last year I had bucks chasing opening weekend here in Parker county. This year is a different story. No chasing yet and no real sign of sitting activity.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 07:56 PM

Nothing unusual, bucks start chasing soon after in hard horns. Doesn't mean their catching.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 08:04 PM

Saw a little 8pt. chasing a doe this morning while I was mowing. Tractor didn't bother them at all.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 08:19 PM

I watched a young 8 pt aggravating a doe Friday night, she wanted nothing to do with him. Yesterday I saw a nice 10 doing a lip curl so the time is coming.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 10:21 PM

Based on camera pics bucks started some aggressive sparring about 3 days ago. Have a few lip curling as well. No pics of chasing yet. I think it's the full moon making the bucks restless.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/08/17 10:40 PM

I watched a buck in velvet chasing a doe three weeks back, I have never seen that before. They are already doing some serious sparring.
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/09/17 12:25 AM

I believe it is different for different regions of TX. On my ranch in East TX I saw 2 bucks chasing doe opening weekend (2 separate incidents) and this weekend I saw 2 more bucks chasing which were 2 separate incidents---their necks are swollen up as well. Scrapes are being tended to and maintained on a regular basis as well.

I sure wish we could get rid of this hot weather---it doesn't even feel like deer season to me---I've been sweating my %#* off during the afternoon hunts.

Posted By: PMK

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/09/17 05:20 PM

back in the '60s, my uncle would go to his ranch every evening after work starting in late Sept. and sit in his tree stand. When he started seeing bucks chasing does, he would mark it on his calendar at home and not go back into the woods until 25-26 days later (days between estrus cycles). He did it for years with great success, usually two bucks down that first morning he hunted.

with deer being seasonal estrus, they can have 4-5 cycles starting in Oct. ... but the bucks are usually still in bachelor groups and the first cycle typically breaks up the guy party but few does will actually get bred giving the 2nd cycle in mid November thru early Dec. (depending on location in the state) what most call the heart of the rut.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/09/17 07:26 PM

saw a little action over the weekend, between Seguin and Stockdale
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/09/17 08:10 PM

Most historical rutting data shows does being bred from this time of year thru December with peaks around certain times in November and December. When bucks are hard horned they're looking for love from day one.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/10/17 12:48 PM

seen a little, not much tho
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/10/17 07:22 PM

normal pre-rut activity. Bucks are sparing to establish dominance. They may be chasing but the does are not ready yet.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Buck Chasing - 10/10/17 07:49 PM

Lots of young ones will be chasing right now hoping to get lucky.. big old boys will be marking and checking for the next two weeks claiming turf... then they will start working doe last half week of oct-mid nov... then they will get locked down on doe and wont leave their site.. things really get slow then
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum