Texas Hunting Forum

I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas

Posted By: fouzman

I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 02:43 PM

But dang! We've had more than 40" of rain on the ranch year to date (NE Webb County). It rained 13" from Monday through yesterday. 24 corn feeders are empty. 18 cameras left to pull cards on. And don't know when we'll be able to get in the pasture to take care of those and some other things. Looks like we'll be getting a late start, this year. mad That's three straight years with 40+ inches of moisture. We'll sure take it but wish ma nature wouldn't drop so much at once.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 02:47 PM

Was told to pray for rain when you needed it and pray for sunshine when you had enough, but never pray for the rain to go away roflmao
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 03:39 PM

You will see a lot more dry days than wet ones. It would be nice to spread out the moisture over a longer period of time 13" in 3-4 days is a little much.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 03:43 PM

After the drought of 2011 I will never complain about too much rain again.

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 04:02 PM

We have a sign at the ranch that reads...

"A new calf and a good rain are always welcome on this ranch"

But dang, we're MLD and like to get started early while the culls are easy to find. Gonna be at least two weeks before we get down there, if it doesn't rain a bunch between now and then.
Posted By: bigfivePF

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 04:04 PM

My place in Webb Co. around Laredo also received 13"-14" of rain from Monday to yesterday. Thankful for the rain, but screwed up this weekend! Thankfully all the feeders got topped off last weekend. Going to let it dry out for a couple of day before we venture to blinds!!!

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 04:06 PM

Hey buddy! Hope y'all have a great year down there cheers
Posted By: Oline Coach

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 04:13 PM

We've had our first significant rain since July in Val Verde County this week. The dust has finally settled for maybe 2 weeks.
Posted By: bigfivePF

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 04:19 PM

Thanks Fouzman.. Hope you are doing well!! I think all the hard work and $$$ spent is going to start to pay off...got a few really big deer this year. Best of luck to you this season!!
Posted By: Bbear

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 05:28 PM

I always remember an old rancher telling me this axiom "the next drought starts the day after the last rain". Never was spoke a truer statement.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 05:48 PM

I hunt in webb as well. I don't know how much it rained other that a bunch. We needed a good rain though as lots of the tanks were almost dry. Fouzman, I wish our deer were easy to find in Oct. but most remain nocturnal until Nov.
It gets frustrating hunting a particular buck you know is there and then get a picture of him an hour after you leave.

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/29/17 11:40 PM

cull, you might want to try hunting 4PM 'til dark, only. Sleep in and get work done during the day. The bucks are still mainly nocturnal this time of year. You risk educating a lot of deer if you attempt to hunt mornings down south in October. Catch them coming in the evening instead of going in the AM up
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/30/17 02:19 PM

We usually hunt both morning and evenings. I don't waste an opportunity to kill a few coyotes and cats either. Dang skeeters gonna be hard to tolerate now. I better stock up on some thermacell pads.
Posted By: spg

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 09/30/17 02:26 PM

Pretty sure its dry in Live Oak County in the three rivers area.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 10/01/17 01:58 AM

Once it stops wait about a week and you'll have one inch wide cracks in the ground.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I Was Taught to Never Curse Rainfall In South Texas - 10/01/17 04:13 AM

Well, on the bright side, it could've been 40" in a weekend. We got hit with 16" over opening weekend in '12. When that mess slacked to a drizzle, the deer floodgates opened for a cpl days.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum