Texas Hunting Forum

ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective

Posted By: mow

ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/26/17 09:32 AM

i hunt in coke county..for you hunters that hunt in that area..if i had to take time off to hunt the seeking phase of the rut..what week would you take off..mid november to thanksgiving?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/26/17 12:16 PM

Scroll down to the map and click on breeding chart for your region. This is as accurate as it gets.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/27/17 03:18 PM

Mid-November (10-18). Often in lockdown by Thanksgiving.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/27/17 03:24 PM

after living and hunting in coke county for 50 years, (Bronte area) its generally around t giving. weather plays a part in this, but it will be close to this. there are so many deer that , i've seen rutting activity from Oct- dec. , but biggest part around t giving. I actually saw a young buck chasing a doe, two weeks ago. guess he was trying to get a head start!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/27/17 03:24 PM

Last week of October is my favorite
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/27/17 03:48 PM

There are a lot of factors involved in hunting the "rut". First of all, the rut timing is not based on weather or moon or anything other than the normal cycles doe go through, and those are pretty consistent from year to year, so rest assured the link posted above will give a good estimate when most breeding takes place.

How WE SEE the rut is totally dependant on the weather, moon phase, etc...we will typically have good years when the full moon coincides with a timing of the estrus cycles and the peak time will be when the full moon is rising just before sunset for evening activity or just going down just after sunrise for morning activity. Weather plays a huge part in this as the last couple years have been so hot most of the "rut" activity has been nocturnal.

Based on last years rut and this years moon phases, I expect Friday nov 3 pm to be good, Saturday may be good and sunday nov 11 am to be good. I saw a lot of doe guarding at my place the last week of October into the first week of November so based on that I would expect those days to be the best at my lease. I can not hunt any of those days except sat eve and sun am. Will I be out there the week before and week after, you bet I will. But I hope to see some good activity those days above.

But these factors play a big role in hunting the "rut". And why the rut can be hit or miss from year to year. Timing is always the same, just what we see varies form year to year
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: ok here is the obligatory "rut" question..very subjective - 09/29/17 03:45 AM

type in best texas hunting in your area on google and it will show moon phases and best hunting days... usually around early nov
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum