I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
arguing about filling feeders,
stand placement,
who's claiming what blind,
bringing junk from home and leaving it,
throwing plastic plates, utensils and beer cans in the fire

I would rather pay/cry once and not have to worry about anything other than shooting straight and writing the check. I Have a great week long experience. Leasing is for the young who don't know better.

every once in a blue moon, everyone "might" get along. Always that 1 guy who thinks he runs the whole deal, knows it all, etc. Ya'll who are or have been on a deer lease know what I'm talking about.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:46 PM

Does that mean there is a spot opened up?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:46 PM

I got on my first lease last year, the only member not part of the same family and it has been nothing but good for me. They have helped with putting up blinds and feeders and showed me a bunch of great spots and let me choose...

Oh, and I met them on this forum. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:48 PM

Where did you buy? How many acres? worthless
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:52 PM

You are hunting with the wrong group it seems.
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:54 PM

I had the same problem, Too many 40-50 year old "kids". Bought my place 10 years ago and never looked back. It's just 100 acres but suits me fine.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 02:56 PM

I've been leasing for 20 years or so and just now getting to the point where we have established a good core group. We're of all ages, hunted off and on with each other over the years, understand each other's personalities. It's taken time and weeded through a lot of hunters, but we're in a good place.
I've been there buzzsaw. Sometimes you got to keep your mouth shut and let the little things go, other times you got to make tough decisions.
I've been considering buying my own place for a couple years, but at the end of the day, I enjoy the comradely, and worry less about who hunts where or shoots what as long as we're having a good time and have similar goals.
Posted By: tlk

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:08 PM

Done both. Owned my own ranch and leased. I prefer hunting with others and camp life. Depends on how a lease is set up and run. Some are a mess and others run well. End of day boils down to common respect
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:24 PM

Leased for years, never had a problem that wasn't easily solvable.

If throwing disposable plates in the fire is such a deal breaker I got a feeling it might be more you than them. eek2

Good luck, if you think leasing is expensive owning is a lot more.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Done both. Owned my own ranch and leased. I prefer hunting with others and camp life. Depends on how a lease is set up and run. Some are a mess and others run well. End of day boils down to common respect
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:31 PM

In my experience, there is always that "one guy", but for those of you who make it work and have good lease partners, congratulations. The end of my leasing was when that one guy told me where I could hunt, even though I was paying the same $$$ as everyone else. Told him what I thought of his idea and finished the year hunting only when he was not. It took a couple of years, but I was able to buy a small place and set it up like I want it. I control the who, what, where, when and how which is perfect for me.

I will say, I do miss being at camp with a group, but have a few friends that are occasional hunters so I invite them out at times during season - mainly for camaraderie. The other negative is when there is work to be done, most times I have to do it myself with no extra hands. I make it work.

And now that I think about it, maybe it is me that is that "one guy".
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:38 PM

I got rid of those you speak of, every once in a while I get one, but when they come aboard they know the rules and stay might be short.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:42 PM

Sounds like you just have a sheety lease
Posted By: spg

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:42 PM

Best thing to do is get a couple simple minded guys that consider hunting making one or two trips a year and get them in on the lease. Even though they don't do anything and probably shoot one deer a year they shouldn't have shot they don't leave much footprint and you can do your own thing. The other two guys on our place our genuine people but not much for working or hunting but like to go once or twice a year and pay there share in feed, blinds, lease dues, etc. and hardly ever hunt. Doesn't bother me at all but I know where your talking about buzzsaw.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:47 PM

I gave up on leasing years ago. Bought my own place and I'm glad I did.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:49 PM

I'm sure we've all been there. I was lease boss on a place in San Saba and it wore me out. Got so tired of chasing money down. I'm on a great place now just as a hunter. Will only go about 4 times a season. If I shoot a deer, great. If I don't that's fine too. I think every lease will always have guys that are a pain. Leasing/hunting should be fun and when it's not, it's time to move on, have the problem lesser move on, or buy your place. Sounds like you did which is awesome.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
I was lease boss

Its been a while since I leased, but this to me is a red flag. I wouldn't hunt with a lease boss in charge. To me the lease boss is the property owner. Only way I ever have, or would do a lease. I think leases bosses are probably a big part of the problem.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I was lease boss

Its been a while since I leased, but this to me is a red flag. I wouldn't hunt with a lease boss in charge. To me the lease boss is the property owner. Only way I ever have, or would do a lease. I think leases bosses are probably a big part of the problem.

Someone has to be the lease "manager/boss" on most decent hunting leases. Very few land owners would want to deal with 10-12 hunters and I can understand that.

My wife's step dad was the lease boss on our lease and he did a good job. It's a hassle running down money and making sure everyone follows the rule so there's no way I'd want that task. Keep to myself and enjoy time hunting with my kids is what I always try to do
Posted By: maximum

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:03 PM

all the ones I've been on the others more or less used
it for a party place and to get away from mama.
I wouldn't mind being on one where everyone wanted to hunt
instead of sitting around drunk with radios blaring and
acting like it was their first time away from home.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:03 PM

Buzz, understand your concern. Beer cans in the campfire are a pain, but leaving a empty pint of whiskey is just plain bad manners and shows a lack of breeding and training. Anyone with class knows it is good manners to leave one snort in the bottle for the person who hauls it off.

Along the same train of thought are the "family places" places who want to bring their squalling kids and complaining wives and yet object when someone brings a sexy girlfriend who might be family someday.

You might consider leasing in Arkansas, no feeders and everyone is family. cheers
Posted By: GLC

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:10 PM

I got lucky and leased a 150 acre tract and it is just my family and I. Luckily we have a good relationship with land owner. No way could I afford to purchase a property like that at my age.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:11 PM

It was my first time being "in charge" and it was st the request of the landowner. She only wanted to deal with one instead of six, which I get. I think if you have a great group it's not needed, but that's rarely the case in this day. Lease boss on my new place is a great guy

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:12 PM

My wife comes with me. As for guys getting "away from mama", that's the wrong crowd to begin with
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 04:36 PM

My wife comes with me. As for guys getting "away from mama", that's the wrong crowd to begin with

That depends on the mama and why you're getting away from her.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 05:14 PM

I'm blessed to have both right now. But the feeder at my place is turned off for now, until I can read if the 5 year old grandson is really going to be interested and whether his daddy is going to allow anything but non-stop sports. He's a good dad, just didn't hunt much as a kid and is a workaholic. I'm not the brightest, but sharp enough not to try to force my will on the child.

Makes no sense to spend money on feed for the neighbors to eventually shoot any decent buck.

Church friends are my lease mates. As stated and understandable, the LO wanted one contact and that guy handles the money. Since I'm the oldest, I had a talk with our manager when he started getting a little obsessed with who shot what. He took it pretty well. Feelings and opinions are going to bubble up from time to time, but that's all part of getting along with others. I get irritated and riled up too from time to time.

I was on a place with an older church friend who has since past. He was the manager for TWENTY guys from all over the state and beyond ranging from southern gentlemen bankers to pure dee white trash. He was a saint in my opinion.
Posted By: FordEvangelist

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 05:22 PM

I quit leasing in 2011 for the same reasons. I've gone to high quality package hunts on a real big ranch. I have a great time, take great animals, and it doesn't really cost anymore than a year round lease.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

I would rather pay/cry once and not have to worry about anything other than shooting straight and writing the check. I Have a great week long experience. Leasing is for the young who don't know better.

every once in a blue moon, everyone "might" get along. Always that 1 guy who thinks he runs the whole deal, knows it all, etc. Ya'll who are or have been on a deer lease know what I'm talking about.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: FordEvangelist
I quit leasing in 2011 for the same reasons. I've gone to high quality package hunts on a real big ranch. I have a great time, take great animals, and it doesn't really cost anymore than a year round lease.

I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

Some of my favorite parts of hunting is the prep work, setting up feeders and blinds, trying pattern deer, trail cam Pics, all that hard work in the spring and summer makes it so much sweeter when you pull the trigger on a nice buck. I couldn't imagine feeling the same way about just paying to go shoot a deer.
Posted By: DH3

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:05 PM

That's why I bought my ranch nearly 20 years ago. I have never looked back and my investment has quadrupled in value.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:08 PM

I joined with a group of guys on a lease in West Texas 8 yrs ago. After 2 yrs was the guy who dealt with the LO. Now only have 3 Gun Slots thru attrition. Have a short list of do and dont's. Can't imagine trying to "please" all the members of a big group. Be like trying to herd a passel of cats.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:16 PM

Leased for years, never had a problem that wasn't easily solvable.

If throwing disposable plates in the fire is such a deal breaker I got a feeling it might be more you than them. eek2

Good luck, if you think leasing is expensive owning is a lot more.
plastic plated are not that disposable, make a heck of a stink
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:18 PM

and, I just got off my lease, kept my feeder full for two years, last yr new guy comes out by invitation and shoots one under MY feeder.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:39 PM

When I leased in Texas, hunting was not my top priority. I spent more time hunting arrowheads than I did animals.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 06:44 PM

The guy was invited right? I'm not sure what the problem is. Did he shoot something he wasn't supposed to?
Originally Posted By: colt45
and, I just got off my lease, kept my feeder full for two years, last yr new guy comes out by invitation and shoots one under MY feeder.
Originally Posted By: colt45

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 07:00 PM

Our old lease rules worked great. No invite hunting, you could bring your kids, wife, or girlfriend as a non hunting guest and that was it no buddies no extra marital girlfriends. No fire outside of the wood stove or bbq pit, everyone had their own stand you wanted to hunt someone else's you asked them, you could shoot what the law allowed on your tags.
Posted By: GLC

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

Some of my favorite parts of hunting is the prep work, setting up feeders and blinds, trying pattern deer, trail cam Pics, all that hard work in the spring and summer makes it so much sweeter when you pull the trigger on a nice buck. I couldn't imagine feeling the same way about just paying to go shoot a deer.

Exactly!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 07:31 PM

I don't mind prep work, 'cept if there's a young man just standing around that's about as useful as teets on a boar hog. The kind that actively tries to get out of any kind of work.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 07:37 PM

To each their own.

For me, I need more land to hunt and roam around on than my wife would ever agree to buying! wife

I've learned over the years most problems occur when rules and expectations aren't black and white from the beginning of the lease agreement.

It is very difficult to assemble a group of people and everybody get along all the time. I've learned through the years that some people that have the money for a spot your best saying no to recognizing they would not fit in well with the rest of the group. I'm a lease organizer on our lease. I've found things go smoothly if you don't try to order grown men around and treat them with the same respect you want them to give you. I like to give each member their own space. If you want your own camp fire for your wife and family or have time to yourself that's cool. If you want to come join me at mine, come on over.

I do enjoy the time spent with friends and lease members at camp. cheers

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

That depends on the mama and why you're getting away from her.

Guys should be working on their marriage instead of deer hunting
Posted By: Hko

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:09 PM

Go though a outfitter for a weekend someone that guarantee's a opportunity check out www.Hardknocksoutdoors.net you will see anywhere from 15-30 deer a sit. Great lodging and accommodations We are very easy it the client hunt so they pick the style of hunt.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:15 PM

Seems to me the more hunters you have the more problems. Was on a lease for 5 years that carried 12 hunters I think and in that 5 years one guy was kicked off. There should have been 2 more to go but the fellow in charge would not do it. The problem was the lease manager as much as anyone else.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:37 PM

We finally bought some land to hunt on, and now we live on it. The hunting is pretty good. Lots of work to do, and just me to do it, but that's Ok for now, since I'm not too old to do it.

I was on a bunch of leases over the years. Some good ones and some bad ones. One good thing developed, in that when I went looking for an old travel trailer for the first of many leases, I took the wife. She, not I, picked the old Airstream we bought. She decorated it, loved it, and became a lease regular, though never a hunter. Lots of great memories, so I'm very glad she loved (loves) camping.

Over the years, I was on 5 or 6 leases. Only one was a real good lease. But owning our own place, we now have better deer than I ever saw on a lease, and my favorite elevated stand is just a couple hundred yards from the house.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:49 PM

I bought my small 133 acre place South of Bowie about 30 or so years ago. I think I paid $400 per acre. Glad I did and it's paid for. Have a trailer house, well, shades for tractor, shipping container to slow the 4 wheeler thieves down and other stuff. Had to have a road cut through it. About 10 years ago, had a 1.5 acre pond dug and stocked it with bass/bluegills. Over time, various friends/family have hunted. Now, only my 18 year old Grandson and his 19 year old buddy ever hunt with me. They're both good kids and have hunted with me since they were about 5 or 6 years old. They sometimes go there on weekends when we aren't around. I tell them no more than 2 beers each and they adhere to that. Both took 135 class 8 points last year and I was more excited than they were; if that's possible. Occasionally, one of them will bring a girl friend but that's OK. I've had a couple of teens that aren't welcome back due to attitude problems. I get help with feeders and that's a plus. I haven't had to gut or skin a deer in 5+ years when they are around.

It's also our weekend getaway place and usually our vacation spot. Gotta admit, during July and August I don't go there very much.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I bought my small 133 acre place South of Bowie about 30 or so years ago. I think I paid $400 per acre. Glad I did and it's paid for. Have a trailer house, well, shades for tractor, shipping container to slow the 4 wheeler thieves down and other stuff. Had to have a road cut through it. About 10 years ago, had a 1.5 acre pond dug and stocked it with bass/bluegills. Over time, various friends/family have hunted. Now, only my 18 year old Grandson and his 19 year old buddy ever hunt with me. They're both good kids and have hunted with me since they were about 5 or 6 years old. They sometimes go there on weekends when we aren't around. I tell them no more than 2 beers each and they adhere to that. Both took 135 class 8 points last year and I was more excited than they were; if that's possible. Occasionally, one of them will bring a girl friend but that's OK. I've had a couple of teens that aren't welcome back due to attitude problems. I get help with feeders and that's a plus. I haven't had to gut or skin a deer in 5+ years when they are around.

It's also our weekend getaway place and usually our vacation spot. Gotta admit, during July and August I don't go there very much.

Way cool. That is awesome! Congrats. Love that story
Posted By: Russ79

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 09:31 PM

I have been a lease manager for a number of years now. The biggest headache I have had is chasing down the money to get the lease paid on time. You are going to get an occasional a**hole that will have to be dealt with. I make all my members sign off that they have read, understand, and will abide by the rules. I will get someone new that wants to put in a new rule and I will tell him that we already have rules, thank you, and if your rule is something you really think needs to be in place then I ask them to move along...I don't want someone bitching all year long about something they think should be in place but isn't. I also give a deadline now for when money is due- one day late and they get a letter asking when they will coming go get their stuff because they have forfeited the lease membership due to being late with lease money. All you have to do is that one time and the other lease members know you mean business. As a lease manager I hate to be an a**hole, but sometimes my job calls for it. As far as leasing vs. going on paid hunts, I couldn't afford to go on as many paid hunts as I go to the lease. Of course it helps that of the two leases I hunt the farthest is only 35 minutes from where I live.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 10:22 PM

Like several others here I have been a lease boss for ten years on a large LF ranch. Has been one of the most awesome things I have had the privilege to be a part of. We start with land owners who are straight up good people and serious about management and growing big deer. Even though it is much work, for me it is enjoyable. I spend a lot of time up front screening before any new member joins us. We base everything off of respecting each other. If a member has a suggestion I will listen - sometimes the idea is implemented and sometimes not.

Our number one rule is no drama. Everyone signs the rules which are very clear and straight forward, common sense rules. I do not fudge on the rules and follow them just like everyone else. I pay exactly the same as the other hunters pay. We limit the number of guest - money is paid on time - in ten years I have never been a day late on our payment to the ranch owner. We treat the ranch as though it was our own which means we pick up trash, close gates, etc.

Guess we are in the minority but we have 12 hunters who get along great, help each other out when needed, and are just all around good folks and have a fun camp with serious hunters. Not to mention we get to see and harvest some awesome deer. I would not trade it.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/09/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
To each their own.

For me, I need more land to hunt and roam around on than my wife would ever agree to buying! wife

I've learned over the years most problems occur when rules and expectations aren't black and white from the beginning of the lease agreement.

It is very difficult to assemble a group of people and everybody get along all the time. I've learned through the years that some people that have the money for a spot your best saying no to recognizing they would not fit in well with the rest of the group. I'm a lease organizer on our lease. I've found things go smoothly if you don't try to order grown men around and treat them with the same respect you want them to give you. I like to give each member their own space. If you want your own camp fire for your wife and family or have time to yourself that's cool. If you want to come join me at mine, come on over.

I do enjoy the time spent with friends and lease members at camp. cheers

Yep - this
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
but leaving a empty pint of whiskey is just plain bad manners and shows a lack of breeding and training. Anyone with class knows it is good manners to leave one snort in the bottle for the person who hauls it off.

Ah, a true gentleman. What finishing school did you attend?

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Like several others here I have been a lease boss for ten years on a large LF ranch. Has been one of the most awesome things I have had the privilege to be a part of. We start with land owners who are straight up good people and serious about management and growing big deer. Even though it is much work, for me it is enjoyable. I spend a lot of time up front screening before any new member joins us. We base everything off of respecting each other. If a member has a suggestion I will listen - sometimes the idea is implemented and sometimes not.

Our number one rule is no drama. Everyone signs the rules which are very clear and straight forward, common sense rules. I do not fudge on the rules and follow them just like everyone else. I pay exactly the same as the other hunters pay. We limit the number of guest - money is paid on time - in ten years I have never been a day late on our payment to the ranch owner. We treat the ranch as though it was our own which means we pick up trash, close gates, etc.

Guess we are in the minority but we have 12 hunters who get along great, help each other out when needed, and are just all around good folks and have a fun camp with serious hunters. Not to mention we get to see and harvest some awesome deer. I would not trade it.

at all
Posted By: Blank

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 01:05 AM

Speaking as a non-resident here, who visits but doesn't have the advantage of their own lease down there. My partner and I are invited every time we can make it down. Mostly about every other year. The wives are all good friends, but take that opportunity to go to Houston to plays, shows, and shopping! You guys with good leases and well-meaning members have a treasure. We certainly appreciate what all goes into making a good one work.

We are friends with everyone on it. Have watched kids and grandkids develop into men there. We buy at least a ton of corn when we visit and gladly fill feeders, move or develop stands, clean the owl poop in the elevated boxes, and spray the hornets, etc. We figure its our due to buy the groceries and do the cooking when we are there. I haven't shot a deer for 6 years, but gladly sit in the blind with my friend and take video and enjoy his success when he gets one. We have offered to split the cost of a membership but no one on the lease will hear of it.

Every one of them has been welcomed to Idaho to hunt elk and deer, and stay in our home. Many have taken advantage of the offer and it has been great. Say what you will about hunting a week for trophies every year, instead of leasing, but the comraderie and friendship on a good lease is something special.

God bless Texas.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalroo
The end of my leasing was when that one guy told me where I could hunt, even though I was paying the same $$$ as everyone else. Told him what I thought of his idea and finished the year hunting only when he was not.

Definitely understand that. I am on a lease but not a camp. I go to my lake house in the evening and come back in the morning. so does everyone else. I will eventually get my own place but no rush at this point. The men and women I hunt with are fine Christian people and that goes a long way with me, especially when I am there with my young son. I don't have to worry about a bunch of drunks tearing up the place and cursing around my boy when we meet up.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Blank
Speaking as a non-resident here, who visits but doesn't have the advantage of their own lease down there. My partner and I are invited every time we can make it down. Mostly about every other year. The wives are all good friends, but take that opportunity to go to Houston to plays, shows, and shopping! You guys with good leases and well-meaning members have a treasure. We certainly appreciate what all goes into making a good one work.

We are friends with everyone on it. Have watched kids and grandkids develop into men there. We buy at least a ton of corn when we visit and gladly fill feeders, move or develop stands, clean the owl poop in the elevated boxes, and spray the hornets, etc. We figure its our due to buy the groceries and do the cooking when we are there. I haven't shot a deer for 6 years, but gladly sit in the blind with my friend and take video and enjoy his success when he gets one. We have offered to split the cost of a membership but no one on the lease will hear of it.

Every one of them has been welcomed to Idaho to hunt elk and deer, and stay in our home. Many have taken advantage of the offer and it has been great. Say what you will about hunting a week for trophies every year, instead of leasing, but the comraderie and friendship on a good lease is something special.

God bless Texas.

People like you are welcome on my property/lease anytime.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 01:53 PM

I'd only do a lease with my core group of friends. Too many people have too many different sets of ideals in what they want out of a lease to expect everyone to get along otherwise. No one is necessarily right or wrong unless they're breaking the law or posing a risk of harming others.

When we hunt, we hit the morning hunts pretty hard, and then spend the day filling feeders, fixing stands, etc. Lots of beer is consumed. The afternoon hunt is usually about half the group seriously hunting and the other half spotting from a blind with a cooler of beer for the guys still trying to tag out. We burn trash in the fire. We stay up late listening to music and drinking beer/whiskey/everything. For most of us, it's a break from the city and stress of the workplace.

I totally understand people that want to be serious as a heart attack in their pursuit of game as well, but I wouldn't get on a lease with someone like that. Also wouldn't get on a lease with the typical "meat hunters", but I'm not saying they're wrong. Just different approaches.

Find someone you get along with for your next lease and you'll have a better experience.
Posted By: Stub

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Blank

God bless Texas.
cheers
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
but leaving a empty pint of whiskey is just plain bad manners and shows a lack of breeding and training. Anyone with class knows it is good manners to leave one snort in the bottle for the person who hauls it off.

Ah, a true gentleman. What finishing school did you attend?

Great pair of posts there.
Posted By: JKC

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/10/17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I'd only do a lease with my core group of friends. Too many people have too many different sets of ideals in what they want out of a lease to expect everyone to get along otherwise. No one is necessarily right or wrong unless they're breaking the law or posing a risk of harming others.

When we hunt, we hit the morning hunts pretty hard, and then spend the day filling feeders, fixing stands, etc. Lots of beer is consumed. The afternoon hunt is usually about half the group seriously hunting and the other half spotting from a blind with a cooler of beer for the guys still trying to tag out. We burn trash in the fire. We stay up late listening to music and drinking beer/whiskey/everything. For most of us, it's a break from the city and stress of the workplace.

I totally understand people that want to be serious as a heart attack in their pursuit of game as well, but I wouldn't get on a lease with someone like that. Also wouldn't get on a lease with the typical "meat hunters", but I'm not saying they're wrong. Just different approaches.

Find someone you get along with for your next lease and you'll have a better experience.

This is pretty much us. We have a great group of guys and an excellent rancher. I am the lease manager because I found the lease ( our group said you can be the collector and enforcer, not much to enforce and easy to collect) and the rancher doesn't want to deal with 10 people, the guys on the lease like it that way as well.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/11/17 06:00 PM

I've been fortunate for the past four years to be a lease by myself. It is 200 acres. When I first got on the lease I was with buddy - but he didn't want to put the work in. As he was used to a lease that had all the spots set up, feeders filled and he could just go and kill a 130 class deer. I on the other hand rather enjoyed setting up the place. He lacked the patience, I've been rewarded three years in a row now with wall hangers. I don't think I'll ever get on a group lease again, if I can arrange it. But I will bring guests with me to hunt, but that's at my discretion.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/11/17 06:33 PM

When grown men, hunters at that, have to have a list of rules to abide by you're going to have issues. I pay a lot more and hunt with small groups of men that I know and trust. No rules necessary.

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/11/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
I've been fortunate for the past four years to be a lease by myself. It is 200 acres. When I first got on the lease I was with buddy - but he didn't want to put the work in. As he was used to a lease that had all the spots set up, feeders filled and he could just go and kill a 130 class deer. I on the other hand rather enjoyed setting up the place. He lacked the patience, I've been rewarded three years in a row now with wall hangers. I don't think I'll ever get on a group lease again, if I can arrange it. But I will bring guests with me to hunt, but that's at my discretion.
post the pics!
Posted By: FordEvangelist

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/11/17 09:37 PM

Fortunately for me, I don't have that problem! My springs and summers are booked solid with other fun endeavors.

Ain't got time to go see which feeder pen got trampled by cows, figure out which deer is hitting which feeder in the spring only to be shot by the neighbor in October's bow season, which cameras were stolen, fill feeders, figure out who left the Busch beer cans in my blind, etc. To each, their own.

I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

Posted By: Bigcat

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/12/17 08:30 PM

If you don't want to put in the work find an outfitter or rancher who needs money. Go to the outfitter section and look me up. I honestly don't know what I'm doing yet but I have tons of deer. People who come out to hog hunt have nothing but good to day.
Posted By: aeb

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/13/17 03:07 AM

I was lease boss

If I had to deal individually with 11 hunters on my ranch, it would never be leased. I enjoy visiting, etc with my guys but I don't have time to herd cats. I could care less how the guys pick their lead man but all complaints, suggestions go through him.
Posted By: TXRobTRX

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/20/17 03:02 AM

I'm very new to hunting and this is my third year on the lease I am on. We have 10 guys and we have a lease boss. 2 of the guys are father/son, and 2 others are related by marriage.

We must be extremely lucky, because we dont have any of the drama you guys are talking about. We have public stands and feeders, we all work on all fo them, and we all keep the camp house clean and tidy. Everyone chips in great and the system works. We have a rule list but I think it only has something like 5 rules on it.

Guess I am one of hte lucky ones...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/20/17 05:53 AM

Been on the same lease for almost 25 years. Open stand policy (if you aren't there, anyone can rifle hunt it). Maintain your own stuff, if it isn't maintained, you don't hunt anyone else's. We have had a few issues over the years and some problems, but nothing that couldn't be resolved. Guest and family are welcome, just have to hunt with a paying member.

I should note that there are 25 of us grin

Leasing isn't for everyone, but it is for me. I have access to over 100k acres across 2 states. I couldn't buy 100 acres for what I pay for that access.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I'm done with leasing - 08/20/17 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: aeb
I was lease boss

If I had to deal individually with 11 hunters on my ranch, it would never be leased. I enjoy visiting, etc with my guys but I don't have time to herd cats. I could care less how the guys pick their lead man but all complaints, suggestions go through him.

I only lease for pig hunting, family land has much better deer than the lease, but no pigs.
Our lease has one member that signs and deals with the land owner, he alone is responsible for all dollars and enforcing the land owners and his rules.
Our land owner said the exact same thing as you, he doesn't like the herd cats.

The lease boss runs things like a business, he gets as many leasers as he feels can hunt the land (we have seen 8-12 hunters on 5000 acres), collects money, pays bills, and fires people as needed.

It took a long time to finally get a good group, they all seem to try and out work each other. It is actually running like any good business should.
Posted By: postoak

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/21/17 12:28 AM

Wait, what's wrong with beer cans in the campfire? I just tossed my first one in this past weekend! (And Buzzsaw was watching from the other side of the fire, lol.)
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/21/17 08:18 PM

I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

This... to each their own but I completely agree. It's the hard work and unknown aspect that makes it that much sweeter. Plus, I'd rather have 12 weekends to hunt every year than one
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/21/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

This sounds like my kind of lease
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 06:30 AM

I am so thankful that my buddy has land where his house is and I have my blind set up on his property. It's just him and I hunting it and I don't think I would ever get on a lease. He's a very good friend of mine and said that I will always have a place to hunt on his property. So every year I like to get him something around the holidays to thank him. I know I don't have to do that, but I like to and it's usually something to do with hunting. Last year I got him a Moultrie trail camera and this year I am going to get him some ScentLok clothing when it's on sale. I plan on buying some land and dropping a house on it, building a small pond and hunting on my own property in the near future. Then we will have two places to hunt.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 11:55 AM

I was scared to read your horror story. I can tell you that humans are a dirty, slimey greedy invious greedy crazy did I say money hungry insane back stabbing breed. That may cover it. hanged
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 11:57 AM

Oh yeah forgot. Fake
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: maximum
all the ones I've been on the others more or less used
it for a party place and to get away from mama.
I wouldn't mind being on one where everyone wanted to hunt
instead of sitting around drunk with radios blaring and
acting like it was their first time away from home.

X2

elmer
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 01:49 PM

I'm done with leasing

too expensive =
too many hunters,
stand placement,

Well, I'm on a pretty good lease right now. I'd love to own my own land to hunt on but then you are at the mercy of those living around you. My experience, ExFILs land, it was equally a bad experience. 100 acres and a pretty nice place but everyone around him shot anything that moved and there weren't many deer when he bought it and it got worse over the three years he owned it. So nothing is fool proof.

As for the "1 guy" I certainly understand that. The only think that bothers me is when there are two sets of rules. One set for him and another set for everyone else.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 02:00 PM

I was on two great leases over a 30 year period. Family and friends. No written rules needed, no “lease boss” needed, no drama.....just great times and great memories.

But, times changed and those days are gone for me. Tried a few more that didn’t work out for many of the reasons given on here.

Bought my place in 2004 and have been making memories there ever since. Much more “low key”. I still miss the old leases, mostly the people - many of whom are gone now.

Posted By: Revoman

Re: I'm done with leasing - 11/22/17 02:45 PM

Had my last lease in 98 and had one section all to myself thanks to my partner backing out. Only thing I pay for is fuel and license and have killed some monsters. Helped to have an uncle in the Oklahoma Panhandle that has a ranch to play on. Now I have my own place and have killed some pretty decent deer on it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum