Texas Hunting Forum

Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt?

Posted By: Captain Luke

Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 03:11 PM

I'm after a mature buck that I've only seen for 10 seconds this past Sunday afternoon. I can't make it back out to the ranch until Friday night to hunt this last weekend for bucks down here. Do you guys think the heavy winds make it a wash this afternoon?
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 03:15 PM

I would make the trip
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 03:16 PM

Can't shoot them from your living room or work...
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Can't shoot them from your living room or work...

This
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 03:42 PM

A bad day hunting is better than almost any good day working.

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 04:12 PM

Ok, I'll go if you guys insist. lol I already took the afternoon off from work, so it's on!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 04:31 PM

Youll kick yourself if hes on camera today and you dont go

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 04:42 PM

Very true.
If I don't get him before Sunday, I just hope the camera catches him. I saw him for the very first time this past Sunday evening. He came out of the brush chasing a doe and only stuck around for 10 seconds. He had a huge body compared to any buck I've ever seen on our place, and his rack was at least 3 to 4 inches outside the ears with at least 10 points. He's never been on camera either. I stayed in the blind until it was pitch black outside. I haven't stopped thinking about that buck since.
Originally Posted By: rickym
Youll kick yourself if hes on camera today and you dont go
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 05:21 PM

Wind blew hard all day here yesterday and laid about an hour before dark. I'd make the trip...
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 05:29 PM

Get gone! rifle
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 05:29 PM

good luck bud
Posted By: Kuddles

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 05:31 PM

I'd go if I were you.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
A bad day hunting is better than almost any good day working.

I agree and would give anything to be out in the woods instead of work today or anyday for that matter

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 06:01 PM

I'm walking out the door from work in two minutes!
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 06:40 PM

1.5 hour drive is nothing.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 06:51 PM

I'd leave work early everyday if the drive was only 1.5 to the lease. Heck my daily commute one way is an hour.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 07:01 PM

Especially with the moon right, cold/wet weather coming in, yeah, I'd go... heck, I am going to go
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 07:02 PM

i thought the same thing yesterday... it wasn't quit this windy but I went and the last hour or so it died down a little and I saw deer.. so I would go
Posted By:

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 07:29 PM

Shot my buck this year in 15mph winds

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 09:39 PM

Ok I'm in the blind sittin', waitin', wishin'!!!!
Posted By: Apretz

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 09:52 PM

The answers is always yes
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/11/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
Ok I'm in the blind sittin', waitin', wishin'!!!!
up
Posted By: Bluetex

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 01:20 AM

I never have any luck on windy days
Posted By: txstknight7

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 01:34 AM

Any luck today

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: txstknight7
Any luck today

Saw 7 doe the last hour of light. Bucks didn't show up, but at least I was there.
Posted By: txstknight7

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 02:27 AM

Any luck today

Saw 7 doe the last hour of light. Bucks didn't show up, but at least I was there.

yup atleast you were there, I was stuck at work all day.
Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 02:37 AM

I drove six and a half, for the cull Buck and doe late season. Also to gathier up my stuff at lease for season, hunting in morning then go if i get cull Buck, good just to be here, am staying til Friday morning if all am hunten is hogs and coyotes,

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 02:40 AM

I'll be back at the ranch Friday night and stay till Sunday, looking for that buck.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 03:04 AM

Well ?

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck25-06
Well ?

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 04:04 AM

Well ?

Stay after him.... up

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Well ?

Stay after him.... up

No doubt!! I'll be out there the entire weekend if I have to.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 06:26 PM

Any luck today

That's why its called "hunting" and not "finding"! You wouldn't have seen anything if you hadn't been there! Gotta think positive..... up

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/12/17 08:28 PM

Definitely. I 'm excited about this weekend.
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Well ?

Stay after him.... up

No doubt!! I'll be out there the entire weekend if I have to.

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/15/17 04:59 AM

By the way.........GOT HIM!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/16/17 12:05 AM

Congrads! great followup - bet you're glad you made the call to go!

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/16/17 12:34 AM

I would have stayed out there until right now if he hadn't come out yesterday. I'm still excited.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/16/17 03:54 PM

Good one
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/16/17 05:00 PM

Congrats!

We hunted the wind all weekend, surprised how well the deer moved in it. We shot a hog and an old doe was it for us.

Re: Very windy today. Is it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for the afternoon hunt? - 01/17/17 11:10 PM

Thank you!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum