Texas Hunting Forum

Solo Lease Trip

Posted By: Locobilly

Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:22 AM

I decided to head out to the lease early and solo to get some time in the stand before the crazy wind gets going this weekend. My wife freaked when she found out I was going by myself. I never even thought twice about it. Before it was all said and done I got a text from my sister and two buddies giving me grief about going solo. I of course went anyways and glad I did as the deer were moving. It was kind of nice to have the place myself.
Do you all regularly go out by yourself?
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:25 AM

All the time.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:40 AM

Just about every time I go out.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:43 AM

Yep almost every weekend. I enjoy the calm and soluitude.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:46 AM

Prefer it that way quite often.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:52 AM

Don't mind going out by myself, not sure what the concern is really??
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:12 AM

Yep
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:24 AM

I go by myself all the time. I always have my cell phone with me and I know several people nearby including neighbors about 1/2 mile down tne road.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:29 AM

I always go alone. Other guy on lease never goes. Im used to it.
I get a little scared when its dark, dont tell anyone.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:32 AM

Once.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:40 AM

I've got offices out that way that I have to visit for work, so a lot of times I'll stay at the lease instead of a hotel. When I do, I've got the dogs with me, so I don't have much to fear... LOL. If my dad goes out there by himself, he's got a standing obligation to check in at some point in the evening.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:52 AM

I occasionally go solo. I hunt family owned land and there is now a caretaker that lives in the old ranch house on property, so it's not a big deal. Before they moved in I always shot my wife a text of the stand I was going to hunt and a text when the hunt was over.

Honestly, just don't do anything that could get you injured. A cell phone is great, but if you fall in a canyon and knock yourself out or cut an artery with a chainsaw, you aren't going to be able to call for help. I just don't take chances. I stay out of the tripods that you have to be a contortionist to get into, I don't use the chainsaw, and generally take it easy.

That said, I'm a big guy at a little over 300 lbs. I take it easy most of the time because the average person out there can't lift 300 lbs of dead weight should I do something stupid and get hurt to the point that I can't get up and into a vehicle to go for help.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:03 AM

I love it but get to bed early and lock the doors. I don't get cell service so I keep my .40 close.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:06 AM

Doesn't bother me a bit and I actually enjoy it. I do always check in and someone always knows where to find me if they have to come look, but I do that more out of respect to those that worry about me.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:24 AM

My wife doesn't like it. She wouldn't let me go solo the first few times but now is OK with it but not happy.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:30 AM

I go solo all the time. I have my sidearm with me all the time.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:40 AM

No issues here and mine is 450 miles from home.
Posted By: Emmett

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 08:44 AM

I always go solo, It's nice to have the solitude. Netflix on the phone in the tent in the evenings is relaxing, and always have my 45 next to me, and I stay in touch with my wife through texts. I have a gimbal winch that goes in the receiver hitch to hoist any game into the back of the truck. If you haven't gone solo, you really need to try in sometime. Just use common sense in what you do and stay in touch with family and make sure someone knows what your plans are and where you are.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Doesn't bother me a bit and I actually enjoy it. I do always check in and someone always knows where to find me if they have to come look, but I do that more out of respect to those that worry about me.

I wouldn't know where anything is in my Butt Hutt roflmao

Plus I would have to make my own sandwiches like Jhouse eeks333

Yall would have to put a Bell around my neck to find me roflmao
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 11:16 AM

I go by myself and my wife doesn't like it. I try to schedule when others are down but I won't give up an opportunity to hunt. Sometimes it's more enjoyable alone.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 12:41 PM

Last four trips I was the only one. We have phone service all over the ranch if something were to happen.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 12:55 PM

Absolutely.

Use to go by myself most of my hunts each year when I was younger. I still go by myself but prefer the company of friends and family when they are able to join me.

Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:16 PM

Pretty much what others have said, I don't mind it at all. My wife doesn't like it much. I sure seem to see more game when I have it to myself.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Pretty much what others have said, I don't mind it at all. My wife doesn't like it much. I sure seem to see more game when I have it to myself.

Very true
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:21 PM

Prefer to be solo unless one of the grandkids want to go
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:47 PM

I will go solo without any thought about it, however as Pitchfork said, I do enjoy the company of friends and family at the property.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:50 PM

Like others I have gone by my lonesome and have no problem with it but much prefer hunting with my brother and dad.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:55 PM

I do it all the time. In fact I am here by myself right now. Only time it bothers me is when we have a big crowd then everyone leaves except me. Just seems strange after that.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:56 PM

I did when I lived there. When solo, I would walk to my blind, about 3/4 mile away. That's when I always scored a nice buck because the other hunters weren't driving their ATV's to go hunting.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
All the time.

It's my preferred way to go hunting simply because I go hunting to hunt! And I tend to see more deer and better deer when I'm at the lease alone. It's quiet, peaceful, beautiful, and allows me to enjoy what I'm there to do in a way that can't be enjoyed the same when there are a bunch of others around. The wife isn't crazy about me going by myself and I've scared her a couple of times when I've left my phone at camp and she hasn't been able to reach me but I've got great cell service on the lease and so when I have my phone with me it gives her peace as far as knowing I'm ok.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
I did when I lived there. When solo, I would walk to my blind, about 3/4 mile away. That's when I always scored a nice buck because the other hunters weren't driving their ATV's to go hunting.

Yep!
Posted By: Z-man65

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:05 PM

Hunt solo most of the time, wife doesn't like it either.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:26 PM

90% of the time I am solo.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:28 PM

With company or without is fine with me. InReach is always on (no cell service) during the day, check in at night on the land line, keep the .40 close.

I prefer kills when I'm on my own; nobody waiting on me, no kibitzing loading, cleaning, quartering, etc.

Taking my son Tuesday. He's 37. I saw a flash of panic in his eyes when I told him cell service drops off at Sheffield. Should be a hoot.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:31 PM

I enjoy being out there by myself and made it for a weekend alone once this year. I rarely get to do it just because I'm in the stage of life where I'm usually bringing kids (which is also great).

Old family place, so we have a comfortable 80+ year old ranch house.

It is remote with no cell service, but there never has been cell service. Never bothered the many generations before us.

I think people are silly being worried about it. Probably less dangerous than a night alone in town.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:38 PM

Yep, I enjoy solitude.
Posted By: waverider

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 02:42 PM

The majority of the time I am at the lease solo.
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:15 PM

Majority of the time, I'm at the lease solo. I enjoy it with or without anyone else there. I do try to watch what I do though when by myself. Have never had anything bad happen yet, but it only takes one mistake, so if you do hunt alone, be careful.
This year everyone was there for opening weekend, but left on Monday. I stayed, and Tuesday found a rattlesnake curled up in some small brush that we had stacked at the camp. We had been using that brush all weekend as kindling.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:24 PM

Yep, I usually get a couple of trips per year solo. That includes a week in KS where I feel more alone then the lease in Llano where the LO is usually around on the weekends. I enjoy the solitude, but I also like it when my wife and/or son come with me. It is fun to share the successes and they will help skin and quarter. up
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:28 PM

Lots of times. It is a little more dangerous and I text my wife where I will be and when I get in the a stand and when I get out of the stand. But driving or anything else for that matter can be dangerous by yourself or with someone else. For me, it is worth it.
Posted By: KevinTX

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:37 PM

Im curious.. what you guys that say you have your pistol, are worried about? Other people?
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 03:52 PM

Over that past 4 or 5 years I've hunted alone probably 99% of the time. Doesn't bother me a bit, even though it is nice to have company sometimes, not as much for safety, but just having someone to talk to on occasion.

On the flip side, when I am alone on my place, there are certain things I avoid. Chainsaws being number one - to many things can go wrong when cutting trees. I will also say that I am very careful on the tractor when no one else around. Slow and steady.

And yes, I always have a sidearm close, not because I'm scared of intruders, just habit and to me, more about snakes and skunks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:22 PM

I have access to two small, 100 acre tracts that I hunt alone 90% of the time. For safety reasons, I always try to remember to tell someone by phone where I will be hunting so they know where to start looking if they don't hear from me later in the evening.

With that in mind, you should make sure at least some of your inner circle of personal contacts have each other's telephone numbers. For example, my wife has the telephone numbers of landowners who I see just about every time I hunt their property.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Locobilly
I decided to head out to the lease early and solo to get some time in the stand before the crazy wind gets going this weekend. My wife freaked when she found out I was going by myself. I never even thought twice about it. Before it was all said and done I got a text from my sister and two buddies giving me grief about going solo. I of course went anyways and glad I did as the deer were moving. It was kind of nice to have the place myself.
Do you all regularly go out by yourself?

You have got to be kidding? The most dangerous part of the trip is driving in and out of the metroplex.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 04:52 PM

I never go alone. Always got Charlie the wonder dog.

Posted By: 357MAX

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:24 PM

I don't mind going by myself as I enjoy being alone with just my thoughts and the woods. The only thing that does weigh on my mind is no cell service at camp or in the stand. If I were to fall out of a tree or get bit by a cottonmouth I may be in a bit of trouble. I do make a trip to where I get service and check in with the wife at the end of the day's hunt, but it is always in the back of my mind.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 05:40 PM

I think the older you get, the more you would rather have a buddy out there in case something went bad. It shouldn't be a
(I'm a Man thing) All of us will get there. unless you are twenty/thirty something and are scared of your own shadow.
I do prefer the cabin to be already warm when I arrive in sub freezing conditions grin
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 06:18 PM

I stay at mine alone one night every other week. I have customers close to my lease and prefer to stay out there instead of a hotel. I prefer to hunt with freinds, but o do see more deer during the week alone. Hunting to me is about spending time with freinds and family. I'm the guy at camp who really could care less if he shoots a deer. I take care of the cooking, cleaning, and whiskey drinking. I'm not near as mad at those deer as I used to be. Quail and dove are a different story.
Posted By: png

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 09:16 PM

Yes. Having a hand gun, my confidence level goes way up.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 09:34 PM

I prefer to have my buddies out there for comradery and shenanigans but I won't pass up a weekend when they can't go. I see the landowner pretty regularly when I go out there and then the neighbors that hunt across the fence live down the road so I usually end up over there for dinner and BS. They typically check in to make sure I'm not dead smile I'm a social person so it's kind of lonely/boring being away from family and friends but when I get time to hunt I hunt, solo or otherwise. It's kind of nice being able to drink coffee on the porch in silence or take a nap uninterrupted from time to time though.

The one thing I won't do and I get on my dad about doing is solo quail hunting. Our quail lease is 26,000 acres and a lot can go wrong when your taking down brush all day long. Especially since he's an old fart!
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 09:36 PM

Most of the time now I'm alone and like it that way for the most part when hunting. It gets a bit boring as soon as the sun goes down, I have dogs to talk to though.

As I'm getting older and maybe a little less wild I start thinking about the close calls where I could have gotten hurt by animals or trespasser's.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I never go alone. Always got Charlie the wonder dog.

Comforting I'm sure.

I used to go all the time. Not so much anymore. Only time I got bit was during the ice storm in 1993. Got stuck at the lease for Thanksgiving and got to watch Leon Lett do his famous snow fumble on a 6 inch B&W TV. A neighbor eventually came by and helped push my suburban to the road. Buddy would have been helpful on that trip.
Posted By: BrazosHunter

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 11:47 PM

Yes solo since I was a kid.. but almost never overnight or far from home. Now that the place I hunt is just 20 miles from the house I hunt solo 4 or 5 times a week usually in the morning before work. I do love to hunt with my nephews and act as their guide. I'm not much on shooting deer anymore but all hogs get a fatal case of lead poisoning. Wife doesn't know much about the realities of my outdoor activities when hunting or fishing. I'm betting when I go to the great beyond it will likely be with a fishing pole in hand and not a gun or bow. Just as others have mentioned going solo affords a different and sometimes better experience when out in the woods or water. I see more game because I have more control over sound, sight and scent.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/16/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
I prefer to have my buddies out there for comradery and shenanigans but I won't pass up a weekend when they can't go. I see the landowner pretty regularly when I go out there and then the neighbors that hunt across the fence live down the road so I usually end up over there for dinner and BS. They typically check in to make sure I'm not dead smile I'm a social person so it's kind of lonely/boring being away from family and friends but when I get time to hunt I hunt, solo or otherwise. It's kind of nice being able to drink coffee on the porch in silence or take a nap uninterrupted from time to time though.

The one thing I won't do and I get on my dad about doing is solo quail hunting. Our quail lease is 26,000 acres and a lot can go wrong when your taking down brush all day long. Especially since he's an old fart!

I'll bet if your old man didn't show up you'd have a good idea where to start looking on that 26,000 acres if he was quail hunting.
Posted By: firestick

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/17/16 12:38 AM

I am usually by myself unless I have one of the grandkids with me. I text my wife when I leave camp and when I return each time. I dont have cell service in my stand.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/17/16 03:56 AM

I only hunt one week out of the year alone the rest I have my son with me he is 11yr old and I use that time to teach him the ropes if something should happen. I always told him to stay on a road until he gets to camp someone will find you on a road. I have taught him how to use my phone and call for help with numbers in my favorites logged in. He also knows how to drive the Ranger if he needed to so its more than just hunting but safety as well. I don't want my son running around the woods lost and scared if something where to happen.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/17/16 03:58 AM

I don't mind going by myself (in fact I try to make it a point to get out by myself a couple times a year) but it's a lot more fun with some buddies there!
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/17/16 04:29 AM

ive gone solo quite a few times over the years and i do enjoy it. 4 years ago i slipped and fell down a steep hill rolling over and breaking my leg badly which required surgery. thank goodness i was not alone at the time. so be careful out there.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Solo Lease Trip - 12/18/16 01:44 PM

I've hunted solo most of my life and you just have to have an elevated sense of awareness.
This is something that you really don't actually think about, but it's there.
It's hard to explain, but as an example, it's when you step out on that rotten limb and a little voice in your head says, "don't do it!"
That little voice has served me well over the years.
I now try to go with someone, but I still venture out now and then but I'm always say a little prayer and try to stay on high alert.
Things can and do go south in the blink of an eye!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum