Texas Hunting Forum

High Fenced Inbreeding

Posted By: HCHunter28

High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:15 PM

We're on about 500 acres high fenced. One of the other posts made me think about this. We've had the place for 20 years. We cull and manage the population and our bucks are still improving. Is there a point when inbreeding will hurt the antler growth/herd?
Posted By: Teal28

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:26 PM

Are you introducing any new genetics to the heard? Does, bucks etc?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:29 PM

We spoke about it with a biologist in the scenario that our property became hi fenced. We are 320 acres. He thought it would take at least 30 years before we had any issues if we did.

Not sure what that is founded on just relaying what we were told.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:29 PM

only in east texas
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
only in east texas, arkansas, and tennessee
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:44 PM

I can't see how you wouldn't at some point. It's only 500 acres. At some point every deer on the place is going to related to every other deer.

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I can't see how you wouldn't at some point. It's only 500 acres. At some point every deer on the place is going to related to every other deer.

Technically that is probably already the case.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 05:54 PM

You heard any banjo coming from the brush
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 05:58 PM

Kind of like small towns in Arkansas.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Kind of like small towns in Arkansas East Texas.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 07:41 PM

It can happen

roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 07:43 PM

roflmao
Posted By: JB1316

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 07:55 PM

Meat tasting funny?
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 08:57 PM

A friend of mine that has been breeding deer since the late 1980's claims you can breed them to 31/32's. I dont know if thats right or wrong to do so, but he has produced some monsters that are very well known.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
only in east texas

grin
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 10:10 PM

You should have some mongaloid looking deer if they were
Posted By: BrazosHunter

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/15/16 10:43 PM

I would imagine that over the life of the whole high fence operation where the goal is to breed quality deer the owners always want to introduce new genetics.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
roflmao
Posted By: Pitman

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 03:36 AM

I have no experience with deer, so take what i have to say with a grain of salt. I do have experience with performance dogs. Genetics are genetics and basically apply to all. With dogs you either breed best to best using outside "blood" or you utilize what you have and are satisfied with and begin line breeding (controlled inbreeding) with the occasional out cross.

None of that can happen in your situation. My guess is the dominant male (not necessarily the one with the biggest antlers) is doing most of the breeding for years on end. Creating an uncontrolled inbreeding situation. Then one of his sons takes over etc. This is why goat breeders (i have goats) trade out bucks on a regular basis. The continued improvement you are seeing at this point may be from improved diet, protein etc. and not just culling.

Same thing happens with closed bass ponds over the years. I would definitely look at bringing in new blood, but it needs to be good blood or things could get worse and take years of effort to correct.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 11:00 AM

juggle I worry about it if the meat starts getting a bit chewier than normal. I would be worth buying some outside does or a couple of new buck to introduce to the pool. texas
Posted By: don k

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 01:04 PM

I don't have to worry. Outside deer jump in and mine jump out. Some stay and some don't. I did not have any Axis for a while and then a Buck jumped in. Yesterday I saw an Axis Doe but have not seen the Buck anymore. I can;t keep up with the additions and with drawls.

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
juggle I worry about it if the meat starts getting a bit chewier than normal. I would be worth buying some outside does or a couple of new buck to introduce to the pool. texas

I'm not real big on it don't know the details, but a friend HF'ed their place 2 years ago. They brought in some does for genetics and now they are required to test all deer shot for CWD. I never did plan on it, but from that I would definitely never plan on bringing in deer.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I don't have to worry. Outside deer jump in and mine jump out. Some stay and some don't. I did not have any Axis for a while and then a Buck jumped in. Yesterday I saw an Axis Doe but have not seen the Buck anymore. I can;t keep up with the additions and with drawls.

Yeah, sounds tough keeping tabs on two axis deer.....
Posted By: don k

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE

You should try it sometime.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE

You should try it sometime.

Sorry, I know you like talking about that axis buck.....carry on.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 06:20 PM

Is the meat getting chewy a real thing? Maybe that's the problem with auodads.
Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: High Fenced Inbreeding - 12/16/16 07:28 PM

the one with the hat on needs to be culled - and SOON!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum